+2,006|5328|London, England
On the various stages of atheism.

So far what I've come up with are:
1) Rebellion
2) Exploration of alternative religions
3) Agnosticism
4) Militant Atheism
5) Passive Atheism

I want to include personal stories from people who have made the journey, including how they arrived at the conclusion that there isn't any higher power out there. The plan is to make it witty and fun while providing real information. It will not be an attack book on religion, if anything it will help them understand that we aren't boogeymen.

I am actually dreading writing this because it may hurt my future prospects in business if it comes to light and it would essentially destroy my political ambitions. But, if I can help someone out there I think it's worth it. Thoughts?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

A witty book explaining atheism or religion in general is not going to sell well ... maybe a touch of humor but be careful, faith is not funny for those that believe ...

Other than that it sounds like something I would like to read
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Varegg wrote:

A witty book explaining atheism or religion in general is not going to sell well ... maybe a touch of humor but be careful, faith is not funny for those that believe ...

Well, it's not going to be a joke book... but I don't want it to read like a textbook
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
I skipped your first 4 stages.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

I skipped your first 4 stages.
Some people start and stay in stage 3 their entire lives like my brother. Some people skip stages. Every situation is unique but for most people the path can be broken down into these 5.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

1) Rebellion
3) Agnosticism
4) Militant Atheism
5) Passive Atheism

I want to include personal stories from people who have made the journey, including how they arrived at the conclusion that there isn't any higher power out there. The plan is to make it witty and fun while providing real information. It will not be an attack book on religion, if anything it will help them understand that we aren't boogeymen.

I am actually dreading writing this because it may hurt my future prospects in business if it comes to light and it would essentially destroy my political ambitions. But, if I can help someone out there I think it's worth it. Thoughts?
I want Ed Norton to play me in the movie.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Well, it's not going to be a joke book... but I don't want it to read like a textbook
You know what I mean ... the reasons for someones faith or lack of faith is facinating so a mix of facts blended with live journals could work very well ...

I would explore several ways to write this, one is your take of course but you could also write a novel kind of story based around one character that doubts in both directions before making his/her final stand ... or a mix of the two ... to fill the character with more life you can blend in interviews with several personas ...

Anyways ... good luck if you undertake this venture
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Varegg wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

You know what I mean ... the reasons for someones faith or lack of faith is facinating so a mix of facts blended with live journals could work very well ...

I would explore several ways to write this, one is your take of course but you could also write a novel kind of story based around one character that doubts in both directions before making his/her final stand ... or a mix of the two ... to fill the character with more life you can blend in interviews with several personas ...

Anyways ... good luck if you undertake this venture
I'm not sure I could undertake writing a novel. I am an engineer and my mind works in lists and facts and all that other good stuff that makes the world go round. Writing fiction is not one of my strong suits
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

1) Rebellion
3) Agnosticism
4) Militant Atheism
5) Passive Atheism

https://passionforcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/american-history-x.jpg

He'd do an excellent job.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
It could be a winner because most books dealing with atheism at the moment are of the militant variety.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CameronPoe wrote:

It could be a winner because most books dealing with atheism at the moment are of the militant variety.
I thought about this idea last night because I was having a conversation in the car with my gf. She's a Catholic and because we had just finished decorating a christmas tree the conversation turned around to religion. She stated that she wanted to get married in the church and baptize any future kids we have. A few years ago I would've gone on the offensive and gotten pissed off and told her no no no. But really, why? Say a few words in front of a priest? Big deal. Have a guy in a robe pour water over my kids head? It's just a guy pouring water over my kids head.

I think the militants are the ones who still haven't let go. They still think that these things have power or meaning when in reality, they don't. I don't fear for my kids becoming religious zealots or anything of the sort. I know that rationality wins in the end anyway.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Cybargs wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

1) Rebellion
3) Agnosticism
4) Militant Atheism
5) Passive Atheism

http://passionforcinema.com/wp-content/ … tory-x.jpg

He'd do an excellent job.
Don't hate, he did a kickass job in that film. He was also good in 25th Hour. And I liked his cameo in Modern Family.

Heil Norton amirite?

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's bad to do this or not (because it could subconsciously make you use someone else's style), but read Christopher Hitchens' works. He's an outspoken atheist, a great writer and a funny guy. He spoke at my school once. His daughter's hot too, I had a PE class with her once.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

JohnG@lt wrote:

I don't fear for my kids becoming religious zealots or anything of the sort. I know that rationality wins in the end anyway.
As long as you don't teach them to be jackasses, they ought to be normal people, like the majority of the religious population is, with the exception of those extremists of any belief who think you ought to believe what they do.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Who would read this book?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Who would read this book?
Well, it wouldn't be targeted specifically at atheists, but towards those who want to understand atheism better. I would hope that anyone wanting a broader understanding of religion, or lack thereof, would find it helpful.
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Would you be talking about atheism, or a lack of religion? They're not the same thing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Would you be talking about atheism, or a lack of religion? They're not the same thing.
Those without religion I tend to lump in with the agnostics. It's not a perfect fit but it's pretty damn close.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Try to get inside the head of exactly the type of person that would want a "broader understanding of" such a controversial topic like religion, and write to that. Or rather, decide if you want to write to that first.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Devil's advocate: What makes you a credible source that I should read a book about what you have to say about atheism?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Devil's advocate: What makes you a credible source that I should read a book about what you have to say about atheism?
Well, the 'five steps' I listed is the path that I followed to get where I am. I was raised in a Presbyterian (read: Born Again) Christian household and went to church every Sunday with my grandparents and mother. My father, whom my mother divorced when I was eight, was always either agnostic, atheist or just didn't care about religion. I never really got a straight answer from him about his beliefs. Anyway, I believed everything I was told and I would pray for my father to find god and even tell him so. Obviously, I was a kid and didn't understand that this was a hurtful thing to say to him.

Once my grandparents moved to Florida we stopped attending church and it gradually just fell to the backburner in my mind. I was always vaguely religious but didn't really put much thought into it. I entered the 'rebellion' stage once I hit high school (a Quaker high school). I was sitting in Ancient Civilizations class and realized that if history had happened a bit differently that we could all be worshiping Ra, the Sun God instead of God. From this point I entered the 'exploration stage' and this lasted for about a year. I even had Druid stamped on my dog tags because I thought it was a cool religion. After this period I skipped completely over the agnostic stage and went directly to militant atheist. I would walk out of the room whenever a chaplain would give an invocation at a military ceremony, I wouldn't rise in church, I would argue with Christians about the true meaning of Christmas etc. That's faded over the past few years and I didn't realize that I had crossed over to the 'fifth stage' until it clicked the other night in the car with my gf.

Whether this makes me credible or not, my story is not unique at all. From other people I have spoken to, these five stages are a good representation of the path they took. I'm not an outsider looking in and making assumptions, this is a story about my own experiences in my own life.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I admire anyone that brave.

However, if your potential market is passive atheists who have already made up their minds I suspect your print run will be short.
I f your potential market is practising Christians suggest you look up 'abortion clinics' and buy a vest.

How about creating a whole new religion a la L Ron Hubbard, there ought to be more money, and sex, in that. How hard can it be?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-12-11 07:09:33)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

I admire anyone that brave.

However, if your potential market is passive atheists who have already made up their minds I suspect your print run will be short.
I f your potential market is practising Christians suggest you look up 'abortion clinics' and buy a vest.

How about creating a whole new religion a la L Ron Hubbard, there ought to be more money, and sex, in that. How hard can it be?
Why start from scratch? Could just convince people we're all living inside the Matrix and if we get enough believers we can wrest control from our machine overlords!
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Write a book about me. It'd be awesome.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

ghettoperson wrote:

Write a book about me. It'd be awesome a leaflet.
fixt
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I compiled all of the Reddit cuck and slut posts I made the last 3 months into one document before I nuke all of my Reddit accounts and start over.
https://i.imgur.com/gvehsXE.png
Last one was posted 2 days ago. I am putting them along with all of the other sex tapes, pictures, etc. into a puzzle box. I feel like I should have a second backup for them but that is bad OpSec
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard