Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
I thought naturalized citizens can't get through some security clearances =/
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6643

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

I met a couple Generals.
I met a crackhead former mayor of Washington, DC named Marion Barry. Top that.
I met Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld.

Speaking of Powell, not to degrade him, but it helps you if you're a minority in making general as well
well he is Latino he is a minority
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6643

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

infantry
What about aviation?
ask the other blade from bf2s he is in AF
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

infantry
What about aviation?
It's a smaller MOS so promotions aren't as fast. You want a large MOS with high turnover. Infantry is the best.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
I met Brigadier Stevenson once, well I didn't meet him, he just gave me a nutty salute and smiled. It was surreal, I'd never seen that rank before and shat myself.

He is the Lord Mandelson of the military world. wat

Jokes aside I'd give up that dream, having a dream means you won't reach it and have to feel bad about it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

infantry
What about aviation?
It's a smaller MOS so promotions aren't as fast. You want a large MOS with high turnover. Infantry is the best.
And most badass.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH
Once you make Colonel through hardwork and dedication, maybe become a war hero like Supah's dad. After becoming colonel you will have to suck dick to get promoted higher.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6694|NJ
I have a general dream to become lofty..

I think mines easier to obtain..

I also don't really think the West Point thing is that much of a big deal, is it?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-12-03 15:04:41)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I have a general dream to become lofty..

I think mines easier to obtain..

I also don't really think the West Point thing is that much of a big deal, is it?
West Point = Political connections.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6192|Schofield Barracks

NeXuS wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I met a crackhead former mayor of Washington, DC named Marion Barry. Top that.
Major General Robert T. Bray, and a General who retired my uncle from the army. My uncle was part of the Joint Special Operations Command at the time. SF beats all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzbr6fPDmkE
Both my uncle and the General were Rangers before SF.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Major General Robert T. Bray, and a General who retired my uncle from the army. My uncle was part of the Joint Special Operations Command at the time. SF beats all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzbr6fPDmkE
Both my uncle and the General were Rangers before SF.
My dad is friends with a General Maguire. I think he was his battalion commander in the 82nd Airborne at one point in the early 70s.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know that Colin Powell did ROTC, and went from there. I know a lot of them went to the service academies. But what's the path like? Are the only people who reach such high ranks people in combat arms? It's something that has always been in the back of my mind. I've tried google but all I get is fucking Yahoo Answers.
There is no set path, and that no set path varies depending on the service that you join.

If you join with the intent of becoming a General Officer, you likely won't make it. If you join with the intent to do the best job that you can--to take care of the troops you're charged with leading--you'll do OK.

The guidance I was given was this: O-5 (Lt Col/Cmdr) is an excellent career. O-6 (Col/Capt) is an excellent career. General/Flag Officer is an exceptional career. The latter two are less about what you control and more about external factors. YOU control whether you make O-5. Fate controls whether you make O-6 and above. Additionally, at the O-6 point, you are normally eligible for retirement due to time served and many opt for that to give their families a break, as the pace picks up dramatically at the O-6 point, with a lot less control of your life/career once you become what is considered a "senior officer".
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH
Ehow seems to know: How to become a general in the Army
Pretty much what I said, though they left out the ass-kissing part.
cpt.fass1
+329|6694|NJ
How many Generals do we have?

Are you looking to be a 5 star General?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

How many Generals do we have?

Are you looking to be a 5 star General?
The last 5 star general was Omar Bradley in 1950...
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
+329|6694|NJ
Oops my bad a 5 star general is something that is only rewarded during war time, right?

ok lets switch to 4 star general?
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5274|San Angelo, TX
1. ROTC
2. Branch Specific Academy
3. Rank Top 10 in class at said academy.
4. Have consistent and immaculate PT scores.
5. Have a near perfect record.
6. Choose a MOS or AFSC or whatever that allows combat experience or direct support of combat operations.
7. Have a supervisor that applies you for merits, medals and recognition at every opportunity.
8. Do something unique and noticeable.
9. Luck
10. Once in the higher echelons, wait patiently for people who outrank you to retire/separate.

11.  This applies to all steps:  Be political.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France
Kind of reminds me of a quote

The best ranks are the non-coms & the general.  Because all the officers between have to actually do something.

errr something like that

Good luck - awesome goal to have btw
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH
Hurri: you know if you purse your goal as a general you CAN NOT post in BF2S any more.....it would be political-suicide. Plus I would prank call your office as Major Woody
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6720|Eastern PA

Cybargs wrote:

I thought naturalized citizens can't get through some security clearances =/
Nope. There have been plenty of higher ups in the US defense/nat'l security establishment that have been naturalized citizens.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6677|Broadlands, VA

loubot wrote:

Once you make Colonel through hardwork and dedication, maybe become a war hero like Supah's dad. After becoming colonel you will have to suck dick to get promoted higher.
Sadly - true.  Pops was one of the top Naval Intelligence Officers - all of his peers thought he should have been made DNI/ RADM.  But, his nose wasn't brown enough.

I also met one of the youngest Colonels in the arly.  His secret was to seek out posts no one else wanted (command of an ammo depot) that required rank one higher than his.  He'd get the temp promotion, do a great job & then the commission would be made permanent.  Just an idea to pass along.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Oops my bad a 5 star general is something that is only rewarded during war time, right?

ok lets switch to 4 star general?
Duh start a war.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know that Colin Powell did ROTC, and went from there. I know a lot of them went to the service academies. But what's the path like? Are the only people who reach such high ranks people in combat arms? It's something that has always been in the back of my mind. I've tried google but all I get is fucking Yahoo Answers.
I believe the answer is you have to have the rank of Lieutenant General, a Score of 200,000, and have the highest rank of the month.

Reference:
http://ubar.bf2s.com/ranks.php
cpt.fass1
+329|6694|NJ
Hasn't there only been about 4, 5 star generals?
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5976|Blue Mountain State

JohnG@lt wrote:

Infantry is the best.
yeah it is. airborne, bitches

and you get to spend time on C-130s and C-17s, so it's kinda like being in the chair force too!!!

Last edited by 1stSFOD-Delta (2009-12-04 18:09:36)

https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard