baggs
+732|6174

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

How do I get good at pull-ups when I can barely even do one?
You can always begin by improving your upper body strength before moving on to chin ups, chin ups use pretty much all of your upper body muscles but mainly your back, shoulders and arms.

If you can do one chin, you can do more, but it will take some time.

What method are you using? Arms close together, almost like a chin up/bicep curl. Or arms wide?
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy
+76|5270|Baile Atha Cliath, Éire

baggs wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

How do I get good at pull-ups when I can barely even do one?
You can always begin by improving your upper body strength before moving on to chin ups, chin ups use pretty much all of your upper body muscles but mainly your back, shoulders and arms.

If you can do one chin, you can do more, but it will take some time.

What method are you using? Arms close together, almost like a chin up/bicep curl. Or arms wide?
Whats the main difference between pull-ups (palms facing towards you) or chin-ups (palms facing away?)? I find chin ups way harder than pull ups (with my hands a little bit more than shoulder width apart).

And for the peeps who can't do a pullup/pushup:

or

Last edited by Irishpride<3 (2009-11-16 02:49:47)

baggs
+732|6174
Well i call them chin ups no matter what style you use, if you are using a proper apperatus you will be able to shift your grip to accomodate the muscle group you wish to train.

I do a wide arm, palms facing away, full extension. This works my back, shoulders and arms. It does the chest a little bit also, but it's a great 'complete' work out, it does well to pre-exhaust you also. Then you can chin up to the front of your body or the back. You will find it uncomfortable at first tho, it really stretches the sinew too and you might find your grip fails before your muscles.

Beginners tend to use narrow arm, palms facing towards. This primarily works the biceps, which in itself is a great excersize.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6199|NSW, Australia

my parents want to get an excercise bike, i thought it might be better to get a treadmill.

what do you guys think would be the best

we dont have any other equiptment
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

Nappy wrote:

my parents want to get an excercise bike, i thought it might be better to get a treadmill.

Treadmills are monotonous as fuck and you'll get bored after 5 mins of facing a wall. Plus they don't go fast enough so you can't do FARTLEK or sprints.

The best treadmil is the pavement.
BRiiNDED
+137|6094

Nappy wrote:

Bike in my opinion.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

Nappy wrote:

running on a treadmill will burn more calories than cycling on a stationary bike will ever achieve.  Plus you can walk and jog on it too.  Both treadmill and bike will be boring to use unless you dump a tv in front of you or maybe listen to music.  Problem with treadmills are they are 'high impact' your joints (knees/ankels) will take a hammering unless you have good running form and use the correct trainers/socks combo.  This is not a problem with cycling.  tbh you're in oz, the weather you guys have is awesome for running, so trade off what you think is good/bad.

Lastly the key to losing lard is to keep you're heart rate high, so use an appropriate resistance level when exercising in order to keep your ticker hammering away.  Try not to do any more than an 45mins-hour a day, they key to fitness/health is exercising consistently and not burning yourself out by undertaking marathon sessions.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6629|The darkside of Denver
Started a cycle of SUS500 yesterday.. gonna take for four weeks then cycle off with Arimadex for another four... I want to gain about ten pounds during this time..  I think I might compete in April in the 180's... Gonna bulk to about 200ish then cut.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

m3thod wrote:

Jebus wrote:

I've always wondered about "The Plank" exercise. I can do it easily for a pretty long time(4/5+ minutes) without breaking too much of a sweat. Are these really that good for training your abs or am I better off with regular crunches?
The plank will help develop 'core' mucles.  Rather than isolating the abs (bother upper and lower), obliques, and lower back muscles you can work them all in one go.  But it's no miracle exercise you should use the plank exercise as to put the final polish on your ab workout.

From what you say you seem to have a good core, which is a good solid foundation for you now to progress onto your other muscles.
I guess that's it. I've played handball for 5 days a week for a good two years. We always did "the plank" exercise every other practice, the same for crunches. However, I had never really gotten the proper technique for crunches down, meaning I've never had a 6pack, which is kinda a 'goal' for me since I've quit.

About building up that acid only, I guess it trains abs/core too, but to a much lesser extent than crunches/sit ups?

Here's my regular plank work-out:

1-min regular
1-min diagonal balance (meaning that I extend my left arm in the air, and my right foot. I keep 'em only a few cm above the ground for maximum effect)
1-min regular
1-min diagonal with other arm/leg

Last edited by Jebus (2009-11-16 08:43:13)

Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy

Nappy wrote:

Man why would you get either of them? Don't you got a local beach/park? Running/cycling on a treadmill/bike couldn't be more boring man. Get a bench and some free weights instead.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO
Going from what you guys have said about exercise times would i be better swimming for an hour at a time or one and a half hours at a time. One hour doesn't actually take much effort for me but 1.5 hours starts to bring me towards my limit.

Which would i better doing?
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy

Noobeater wrote:

Going from what you guys have said about exercise times would i be better swimming for an hour at a time or one and a half hours at a time. One hour doesn't actually take much effort for me but 1.5 hours starts to bring me towards my limit.

Which would i better doing?
Working out with weights is different than a muscle/cardio exercise like swimming. Swim up to your limit, IMO.

I'm no expert but, in my opinion... The best way to progress forward is too always push yourself to the limit...
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6521|Scotland
I have been working on and off for the last year. Just moved into my own proper flat with girlfriend with a spare room so going to get my equipment in there. Going to follow Arnel's 16 week challenge - http://www.theabschallenge.com/

Did that for 3 weeks and saw a difference, started getting a sore chest though. I have had it for a while, when I throw my arms back and puff my chest out my chest cracks and feels sore. It also happens when I get out of a seat. Going to the doctor soon to get that sorted before I properly start.

Been reading alot of different things on exercise for the last 6 months so I am clued up on everything which is good. Just hope when I go to the doctor they don't just tell me to not exercise for a year or so for my chest to heal.
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5245|San Angelo, TX
/nominate for sticky.
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy

White-Fusion wrote:

I have been working on and off for the last year. Just moved into my own proper flat with girlfriend with a spare room so going to get my equipment in there. Going to follow Arnel's 16 week challenge - http://www.theabschallenge.com/

Did that for 3 weeks and saw a difference, started getting a sore chest though. I have had it for a while, when I throw my arms back and puff my chest out my chest cracks and feels sore. It also happens when I get out of a seat. Going to the doctor soon to get that sorted before I properly start.

Been reading alot of different things on exercise for the last 6 months so I am clued up on everything which is good. Just hope when I go to the doctor they don't just tell me to not exercise for a year or so for my chest to heal.
That would suck. Do you know what particular exercise that actually did the damage?

I went swimming yesterday cause I was stuck in Uni/Work all day. It really helped loosen out my legs and actually was a lot harder than I thought

I might go more often, maybe 3 times a week for an hour...
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

White-Fusion wrote:

Eh, all videos are suspended on that site?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6281

Jebus wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Eh, all videos are suspended on that site?
Arnel's account was deleted for some reason.

The videos can all be found here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/workoutvideosnow#p/u
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy
That 16 week workout seems pretty decent. I might look more into it.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY
Hey, question. Jogging, running, biking, etc. Always seems to be the main aerobic exercise out there. My legs hurt from running yesterday, is there any exercises that don't use lower leg muscles I can do to work out?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

Work out in what way exactly? To lose weight? Or to gain mass? Or to keep fit?
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY

Zimmer wrote:

Lose weight, I guess. Aerobic. Constant. Without breaks.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6416|Amsterdam‫
i'm in doubt should i buy a Dumbbells or a Barbell.  what do you guys recommend?
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

Noobpatty wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Lose weight, I guess. Aerobic. Constant. Without breaks.
Strength/Core training will allow you to lose weight as well, as long as you're using the correct diet to go with it.

In short: No. You need to do running/cycling to lose weight properly. You could do swimming, which might reduce leg pain.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY

Irishpride<3 wrote:

Whats the main difference between pull-ups (palms facing towards you) or chin-ups (palms facing away?)? I find chin ups way harder than pull ups (with my hands a little bit more than shoulder width apart).
Well if pull ups are palms facing towards you, obviously it's an exercise working mostly your bicep. Facing away ("chin ups") would be working your triceps.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

menzo wrote:

i'm in doubt should i buy a Dumbbells or a Barbell.  what do you guys recommend?
dumbells. More versatile.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard