Karbin
+42|6287

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ummm GMAC =/= GM, fellas.

GM (the car company) is about to start paying back part of its bailout money...sort of.

GMAC (the financing company) is the one getting a bailout.
It's the same company under the same umbrella corporation.
Ahh... Yes and No.

GM holds 49% of GMAC.

51% is held by the Three Headed Beast that just about killed Chrysler.

Cerberus Capital Management

It is one of the largest private equity investment firms in the United States. The firm is based in New York City, and run by 49-year-old financier Steve Feinberg. Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle has been a prominent Cerberus spokesperson and runs one of its international units.

On October 19, 2006, John W. Snow, President George W. Bush's second United States Secretary of the Treasury, was named chairman of Cerberus.

J. Ezra Merkin is a partner in Cerberus. Merkin invested his funds into Cerberus and its portfolio companies. His Gabriel fund invested $79 million in Chrysler, $66 million in GMAC and $67 million in Cerberus partnerships, according to year-end statements. The Gabriel Fund was a feeder fund for Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.

The Japanese bank, Aozora, a Cerberus company lost $137 million to Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC. Aozora was part of the investment group that acquired 51 percent of GMAC from General Motors.

Follow the money.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Why not just give it straight to the credit card companies? That's where it'll end up anyway; people will just pay it off their credit card.
And then the banks have more liquidity and there is no longer a credit crisis.

It's better that the people also get to lower some of their crippling debt at the same time, don't you think?
Or... the government could just not spend any money at all. Lower taxes and stuff or pay down the national debt. How about that?
None of that helps GDP.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

National debt is very important. The balance of trade is not.
So the national debt is the govt debt, cumulative balance of trade deficit is the debt of the nation.
I would have thought they were comparable.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

And then the banks have more liquidity and there is no longer a credit crisis.

It's better that the people also get to lower some of their crippling debt at the same time, don't you think?
Or... the government could just not spend any money at all. Lower taxes and stuff or pay down the national debt. How about that?
None of that helps GDP.
are you serious?

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

So the national debt is the govt debt, cumulative balance of trade deficit is the debt of the nation.
There is a pretty important difference between overall debt and trade deficit. It's like looking at the cost of materials on a corporate balance sheet and not the revenue.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No. You're failing to grasp what a balance of trade is. All a negative balance of trade means is that we import more goods than we produce. This doesn't mean the money doesn't come back to us in the form of investment, or isn't made up in other parts of our economy. If we have negative growth it's called a recession. We have positive growth (normally) despite our balance of trade. They are all completely different entities and no matter how much you try to link them together, they have zero link, sorry.

The national debt is nothing more than money owed by our government. The cause of it is extremely simple. The government spends more money than it receives in tax receipts. It is caused by absolutely nothing else.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-17 15:17:49)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6584

DrunkFace wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Every single man, woman and child in the USA has now contributed about $206 each to GM.  ($62B / $300M)
Not sure where you learnt maths. But...
12.5 + 5.6 does not equal 62.
My math is fine.

The original post, towards the end, stated "The taxpayers’ commitment to GM, including the previous two GMAC bailouts, already stands at $62 billion.".  Erring on the side of the lesser figure, in case the $62B already figured in the additional $5.6, I used 'just' the $62B.

So, where was it that you learned your reading comprehension and spelling?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Here Dilbert_X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercantalism
Mercantilism is an economic theory that holds the prosperity of a nation is dependent upon its supply of capital, and that the global volume of international trade is "unchangeable." Economic assets or capital, are represented by bullion (gold, silver, and trade value) held by the state, which is best increased through a positive balance of trade with other nations (exports minus imports). Mercantilism suggests that the ruling government should advance these goals by playing a protectionist role in the economy; by encouraging exports and discouraging imports, notably through the use of tariffs and subsidies.
Criticisms
Adam Smith and David Hume are considered to be the founding fathers of anti-mercantilist thought. A number of scholars found important flaws with mercantilism long before Adam Smith developed an ideology that could fully replace it. Critics like Hume, Dudley North, and John Locke undermined much of mercantilism, and it steadily lost favor during the 18th century. In 1690, John Locke made perfectly clear that prices vary in proportion to the quantity of money, but in general, the mercantilists did not put this together[citation needed]. Mercantilists failed to understand the notions of absolute advantage and comparative advantage (although this idea was only fully fleshed out in 1817 by David Ricardo) and the benefits of trade[citation needed]. For instance, suppose Portugal was a more efficient producer of both wine and cloth than England, yet in England it was relatively cheaper to produce cloth compared to wine. Thus if Portugal specialized in wine and England in cloth, both states would end up better off if they traded. This is an example of the reciprocal benefits of trade due to a comparative advantage. In modern economic theory, trade is not a zero-sum game of cutthroat competition because both sides can benefit.

Hume famously noted the impossibility of the mercantilists' goal of a constant positive balance of trade[citation needed]. As bullion flowed into one country, the supply would increase and the value of bullion in that state would steadily decline relative to other goods. Conversely, in the state exporting bullion, its value would slowly rise. Eventually it would no longer be cost-effective to export goods from the high-price country to the low-price country, and the balance of trade would reverse itself. Mercantilists fundamentally misunderstood this, long arguing that an increase in the money supply simply meant that everyone gets richer.[22]

The importance placed on bullion was also a central target, even if many mercantilists had themselves begun to de-emphasize the importance of gold and silver. Adam Smith noted at the core of the mercantile system was the "popular folly of confusing wealth with money," bullion was just the same as any other commodity, and there was no reason to give it special treatment.[23] More recently, scholars have discounted the accuracy of this critique. They believe Mun and Misselden were not making this mistake in the 1620s, and point to their followers Child and Davenant, who, in 1699, wrote: "Gold and Silver are indeed the Measure of Trade, but that the Spring and Original of it, in all nations is the Natural or Artificial Product of the Country; that is to say, what this Land or what this Labour and Industry Produces."[24] The critique that mercantilism was a form of rent-seeking has also seen criticism, as scholars such Jacob Viner in the 1930s point out that merchant mercantilists such as Mun understood that they would not gain by higher prices for English wares abroad.[25]

The first school to completely reject mercantilism was the physiocrats, who developed their theories in France. Their theories also had several important problems, and the replacement of mercantilism did not come until Adam Smith published The Wealth of Nations in 1776. This book outlines the basics of what is today known as classical economics. Smith spends a considerable portion of the book rebutting the arguments of the mercantilists, though often these are simplified or exaggerated versions of mercantilist thought.[26]

Scholars are also divided over the cause of mercantilism's end. Those who believe the theory was simply an error hold that its replacement was inevitable as soon as Smith's more accurate ideas were unveiled. Those who feel that mercantilism was rent seeking hold that it ended only when major power shifts occurred. In Britain, mercantilism faded as the Parliament gained the monarch's power to grant monopolies. While the wealthy capitalists who controlled the House of Commons benefited from these monopolies, Parliament found it difficult to implement them because of the high cost of group decision making.[27]

Mercantilist regulations were steadily removed over the course of the Eighteenth Century in Britain, and during the 19th century the British government fully embraced free trade and Smith's laissez-faire economics. On the continent, the process was somewhat different. In France economic control remained in the hands of the royal family and mercantilism continued until the French Revolution. In Germany mercantilism remained an important ideology in the 19th and early 20th centuries, when the historical school of economics was paramount.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
But as I see it if you maintain a trade deficit you're steadily selling off your country.
The 'inward investment' is just people buying your assets instead of your goods.

I don't claim to understand non-mercantilist theory.
Either I haven't spent enough time on it or its another naked emperor.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-11-17 21:05:40)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6674|Disaster Free Zone

rdx-fx wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Every single man, woman and child in the USA has now contributed about $206 each to GM.  ($62B / $300M)
Not sure where you learnt maths. But...
12.5 + 5.6 does not equal 62.
My math is fine.

The original post, towards the end, stated "The taxpayers’ commitment to GM, including the previous two GMAC bailouts, already stands at $62 billion.".  Erring on the side of the lesser figure, in case the $62B already figured in the additional $5.6, I used 'just' the $62B.

So, where was it that you learned your reading comprehension and spelling?
I learnt my reading comprehension from some of the best schools in Australia... I was just never any good at it .

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

They are completely different.

JohnG@lt wrote:

All a negative balance of trade means is that we import more goods than we produce export.
Fix'd

The national debt is nothing more than money owed by our government. The cause of it is extremely simple. The government spends more money than it receives in tax receipts. It is caused by absolutely nothing else.
Balance of trade (or current account) is almost meaningless by its self and will naturally correct itself through exchange rates which will effect demand. National (or Government) debt can only be lowered through higher taxes, lower spending or a combination of both, all of which will reduce ones GDP growth, not a good thing to do at a time like this. It's obviously too late now but what the US should have done is use the previous 20 years of economic boom to build a surplus.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ummm GMAC =/= GM, fellas.

GM (the car company) is about to start paying back part of its bailout money...sort of.

GMAC (the financing company) is the one getting a bailout.
It's the same company under the same umbrella corporation.
No it's not. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a separate bailout.

GMAC was spun off years ago, IIRC.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

But as I see it if you maintain a trade deficit you're steadily selling off your country.
The 'inward investment' is just people buying your assets instead of your goods.

I don't claim to understand non-mercantilist theory.
Either I haven't spent enough time on it or its another naked emperor.
'inward investment' means they're investing in stocks, bonds, real estate etc. Nothing wrong with that. It's like a pendulum and it swings back and forth. Right now the Chinese are on the upswing and their economy is booming. As soon as the value of their currency reaches critical mass and it becomes cheaper to produce goods here in America the jobs will come back. This is one of the only intelligent things the Bush administration did while in office, and I don't know whether it was intentional or not, they demanded that the Chinese no longer peg the value of their currency to the US Dollar. The Chinese had made their currency statically pegged at (I think) 1/7th of the US Dollar, so no matter how low the US Dollar went, the Chinese currency went lower, meaning that they still had an advantage when exporting. Well, the Bush administration has willfully made the value of the dollar less because it's the surest way to bring all those manufacturing jobs back to America. The Chinese see it now and it's why they're making noise at Obama. They're pissed.

Mercantalist theory is really not worth knowing. It's old fashioned and it's been debunked. The only reason the ideas even stick around is because the concepts are simple for people who haven't taken an economics class. It's why the media harps on balance of trade as a major issue. They don't understand economics so they seize on a simple concept and blow it out of all proportion to it's value. 'trade deficit' has become a mantra among news media types and I bet maybe 1 in 20 of them could even remotely describe what they're talking about.
-Frederick Bastiat
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
Good reason Mr.Galt , glad someone is keeping them in check here

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard