VYWang
+4|5327
So I have a pretty bad computer (E310) that only supports PCI x1 and PCIe x1 (not x16) and I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card because it's the only thing keeping me back. Can anyone tell me if the following graphics card will run BF2 on low-medium graphics?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … ics%20Card

Thanks!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5568|Toronto
It'll do it on all high. I used the same card in a laptop (8400 GS-M) for 2 years and never had a problem.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6472|Chicago, IL
I think i ran low smoothly on a similar card a few years back
jord
+2,382|6703|The North, beyond the wall.

Pochsy wrote:

It'll do it on all high. I used the same card in a laptop (8400 GS-M) for 2 years and never had a problem.
I've had this POS 7 years and it ran bf2. just.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5568|Toronto

jord wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Yeah, I fucked up. I just looked at the laptop specs sheet in my closet and it's an 8600M-GT, not an 8400.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
VYWang
+4|5327

jord wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Was the game playable/enjoyable?
jord
+2,382|6703|The North, beyond the wall.

VYWang wrote:

jord wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Yeah sure, I was first in vehicles as I ran most things on low, and I had view distance maxed out too. Depends if you're used to having it on maxed out or not. No lag at all, just low settings.
VYWang
+4|5327

jord wrote:

VYWang wrote:

jord wrote:

Yeah sure, I was first in vehicles as I ran most things on low, and I had view distance maxed out too. Depends if you're used to having it on maxed out or not. No lag at all, just low settings.
That's OK with me, I just wanna play lol. Sorry for extending this but I was reading another forum and they were saying this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product

However they were split on whether it was PCIe or PCI. The name says PCI but some people said they had the card and it was a PCIe, what do you guys think?

Last edited by VYWang (2009-11-15 10:46:12)

HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5509|Bolingbrook, Illinois
I had that card, it was PCI.
QuickBird Driver
+1|5341|Colorado
You should be able to.  I used to run BF2 with a 7600GS 512M AGP on high on a MB built before there was PCIe, so your MB and CPU are probably better than mine was.  The only thing I would worry about is this card is PCI.
VYWang
+4|5327
I've been reading the reviews on newegg regarding the two cards and they say that the GeForce 8400 GS 512MB works well with dual monitors and video but fails in the gaming department. Also the GeForce 6200 256MB apparently works well with games and PC's just not the E310. Any ideas on why those could be? Sorry if I'm being too cautious but I just don't want to waste time on something that wouldn't work. =\

Thanks
BVC
+325|6721
I used to run BF2 on a GEforce 6600 AGP 256MB, which is worse than an 8400 GS according to this.

For that price, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a radeon 4650.  I have one of these and it walks all over my previous card (a 7600 GS), and beats the 8400 GS quite nicely too.

Also, it runs Far Cry pretty good too (got this + ghost recon for 25NZD on the weekend).

You'll see on that last gpureview link that the 4650 can put through a shitload of texels - texels are basically the simple shapes that build a 3D model, and are usually triangles.  If you look at this comparison, the 4650 is in the same ballpark as the 4850 in that regard.  Definitely good bang for buck.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pubic (2009-11-15 21:42:22)

VYWang
+4|5327

Pubic wrote:

I used to run BF2 on a GEforce 6600 AGP 256MB, which is worse than an 8400 GS according to this.

For that price, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a radeon 4650.  I have one of these and it walks all over my previous card (a 7600 GS), and beats the 8400 GS quite nicely too.

Also, it runs Far Cry pretty good too (got this + ghost recon for 25NZD on the weekend).

You'll see on that last gpureview link that the 4650 can put through a shitload of texels - texels are basically the simple shapes that build a 3D model, and are usually triangles.  If you look at this comparison, the 4650 is in the same ballpark as the 4850 in that regard.  Definitely good bang for buck.

Hope this helps.
Yea I looked at the specs and it is a crap load better. But it's PCI Express x16 =\ and I have a old mobo that doesn't support that. So I have to look in the PCI x1 catagories.
BVC
+325|6721
Do you have any AGP slots free?  I know its older tech, but it could offer more options.
VYWang
+4|5327

Pubic wrote:

Do you have any AGP slots free?  I know its older tech, but it could offer more options.
I don't think so, I believe the only slots are a PCI x1 and PCIe x1. Do you know which one is better of the two?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6489|cuntshitlake

Download http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152.zip and take a screenshot of the CPU, Mainboard and Graphics tabs so I can determine the best option for you.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
VYWang
+4|5327
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51672/CPUz%203.JPG
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51672/CPUz%202.JPG
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51672/CPUz%201.JPG
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6523

protip:hold down the "alt" key, it will capture the active window.
VYWang
+4|5327
Thanks lol =P
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6489|cuntshitlake

That mobo indeed seems to have 2xPCI and one PCI-E x1 slot.

In my opinion getting a PCI or PCI-E x1 graphics card for gaming is really just not worth it. It might somewhat run BF2 but not well, and any newer games would struggle.

You would be able to get a new motherboard and a much better PCI-E graphics card for just a bit more, but the question is: Do you want to reinstall the CPU and the cooler as well as other less significant parts. Your case might also not be ATX-standard and thus the mobo wouldn't fit in etc...

If I were you I'd either scavenge ebay for some cheap dell mobo that supports your CPU and memory and has a PCI-E x16 slot and get a PCI-E graphics card to go along with it for now and then get a whole new system later. Or just get a new system right off if you have the money to spend. Your current one just hardly cuts it for gaming use anymore
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
VYWang
+4|5327

DeathUnlimited wrote:

That mobo indeed seems to have 2xPCI and one PCI-E x1 slot.

In my opinion getting a PCI or PCI-E x1 graphics card for gaming is really just not worth it. It might somewhat run BF2 but not well, and any newer games would struggle.

You would be able to get a new motherboard and a much better PCI-E graphics card for just a bit more, but the question is: Do you want to reinstall the CPU and the cooler as well as other less significant parts. Your case might also not be ATX-standard and thus the mobo wouldn't fit in etc...

If I were you I'd either scavenge ebay for some cheap dell mobo that supports your CPU and memory and has a PCI-E x16 slot and get a PCI-E graphics card to go along with it for now and then get a whole new system later. Or just get a new system right off if you have the money to spend. Your current one just hardly cuts it for gaming use anymore
Yea that's what I've been told. I just wanted to know if there was a card that would run BF2 on my comp for awhile before I could buy a new comp. I could definitly get a graphics card but the computer would probably be 2-6months. GUess I'll have to learn to be patient =P thanks for all the help!
BVC
+325|6721
Dell...

Sorry to be so blunt, but most "big brand" PCs are built for web browsing and for people to plug their digital cameras into - they're typically shit for gaming.

Save up, and when you've got enough money, sell your existing PC and build a new one.  You'll be surprised at what you can get.
VYWang
+4|5327
Yea, I'm already looking at parts on newegg and trying to build a computer, if you have time go to the tech section and check it out. Any help would be appreciated
BVC
+325|6721
Depending on your savings target, an i7 system would be the way to go.  Apparently you can sometimes unlock extra cores on some Phenom II X2s also, so if you luck out there it would be excellent bang for buck.

I think quad core is definitely the way to go if you want to future proof.  You won't see games which won't play on multicore games for a while, but you will start seeing more which can use extra cores.

Last edited by Pubic (2009-11-23 23:59:52)

QuickBird Driver
+1|5341|Colorado
Just a suggestion, VYWang, if you can find a MoBo that supports SLI or Crossfire, it should help down the road if you want to upgrade for better video performance.  Although, I hear that there is no appreciable boost in BF2 performance maybe because of age.  There are a couple of tricks to SLI, though. 

For one, you can't use different video cards together.  They have to be identical cards.  When I built mine earlier this year, I got a board with 3 SLI slots but bought only one card to save money.  Then a couple of months ago when I decided to buy a second card, I had to really search because hardly anyone was still selling it.

Second, if you do get SLI, try to find a board where at least two of the PCIe slots are x16 all the time.  Most of the boards when I bought mine didn't have this.  The first slot was x16, but if you used the second one, both dropped to x8.  Two steps forward and one back.

On another note, with all the heat that these new multi-core CPUs and video cards generate, get a good cooler and plenty of case fans.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard