-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5464|Ventura, California
So I just did a quick game with my mom. I usually take an hour or so with my mother or sisters. But this time I actually tried the whole "Cover each piece" thing and kazaaaaaam!

I've played chess all the time and my grandfather is a chess champ in Ventura in some club. I used to play with him a lot. He only let me win once out of pity

So post your wins!

https://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/Sh1fty/raped.jpg

I love how I casually said, "Check mate"
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6650|The darkside of Denver
Dude, thats cool and all... But I have a feeling this thread is going now where.  FAST! gg though!
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Well there's the post your:

GF
Car
guns
alcohol
house
etc...

Why can't we have a chess?
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6820|Grapevine, TX
i call Shenanigans

looks pretty well set up though
SonderKommando

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Well there's the post your:

GF
Car
guns
alcohol
house
etc...

Why can't we have a chess?
^ things that people are actually interested in.  no worries though, its awesome that you're good at chess, I just dont think most people on a videogame forum play such an intense board game.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I set that up for soooo long. I couldn't believe she fell into that "Rampaging queen" trap.
SonderKommando
You'd be suprised what you can trick your mother into.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

I usually take an hour or so with my mother or sisters.
pff I would have given your mother and sisters 2 hours at least.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5755|Belgium
Cool pic
Kez
+778|5694|London, UK
Okay, I will stick to the Chess topic:

Somebody explain the rules of chess to me without referring me to another site (Wikipedia)
SonderKommando
You have nine squares. You must get three in a row of either X or O.  You alternate turns placing your X or O respectively horizontally, vertically, or diagonally across the gameboard.  First to three in a row wins!
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5952|Places 'n such

SonderKommando wrote:

You have nine squares. You must get three in a row of either X or O.  You alternate turns placing your X or O respectively horizontally, vertically, or diagonally across the gameboard.  First to three in a row wins!
Also a card can be followed by one of the same colour or number or a wild card. otherwise you have to pick up.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6568|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

presidentsheep wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Also a card can be followed by one of the same colour or number or a wild card. otherwise you have to pick up.
DICES! How could you both have forgotten about the dice part...No move untill you roll at least 6+....
VicktorVauhn
+319|6383|Southern California

Kez wrote:

Somebody explain the rules of chess to me without referring me to another site (Wikipedia)
Uhhh, why? Its kinda  a pita to type it all out... If you really wanna learn its best to go read some kinda pre written tutorial on how to play, or even better find a game that is geared towards beginners and will give you little tutorials on how you can play, what a win is, ect...

but basically each piece has its own style of moving... getting a pawn to the other side of the board lets you promote the pawn to any type of piece.
Use your pieces to prevent the opponents kings from having any possible moves.

And a bunch of other random rules in between. If nothing else try vista/windows 7 chess... It will highlight the squares you are allowed to move to.

Even on easy windows chess kicks my ass... Turns out I am not that good. Even when I play my best I just get myself into positions where every move I can make is a bad one, or widdle my way down to a draw
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Even on easy windows chess kicks my ass... Turns out I am not that good. Even when I play my best I just get myself into positions where every move I can make is a bad one, or widdle my way down to a draw
ha, my brother gave some pc game (chessmaster4000 or something) that made me feel the same way!
VicktorVauhn
I aquired chessmasters for PSP when I tried to learn chess... Its good for teaching you the rules and stuff... But not for much more.

All the little drill things they have you do SEEM good... but then I realized how pointless they are.
So often the "solution" is a terrible terrible short sighted move, even putting you in check at some times IIRC.

Playing against computer sucks as a beginner because they only make planned mistakes, while I am just making dumb ones. It also seems like beginner is harder then intermediate. Computers just don't seem to be very good at being bad.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Kez wrote:

Pawns (or pwn) as I like to say

There's 8 of these, they're in the front. Their first move can go two spaces forward, otherwise they can only move forward. When there is an enemy in the square directly next to them (in diagonal) that's the only time they can capture.

So forward to move, diagonally forward to capture

Rooks

Can go only forward and sideways as many spaces as they want. Same for capturing!

Bishops

Can go diagonally as many spaces as they want, same for capturing.

Knights

Can only do an L movement, they are the only pieces that can jump over others. They more either two spaces forward then one left/right or two spaces sideways left/right then 1 forward.

Queen

Mix of bishop and rook

King

Epic piece to solo the board with if you're good. Can only move 1 space in any direction

Am I leaving somebody out?
VicktorVauhn
No, but pawns can also move diagonally when they are in the same column and directly against another piece (maybe only a pawn) as long as its their second move (and its possible that they need to only have moved one space on their first move)
So basically, if you move your pawn one forward, then the opponent moves a pawn up to yours and blocks its forward travel you can go to its side.

The king can also move several places at once, if it has not moved, and the rook has not moved(also need a clear path between them). I believe the rook moves over till it hits the king, then they swap positions to move the king into the corner.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2009-11-17 00:55:53)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

VicktorVauhn wrote:

No, but pawns can also move diagonally when they are in the same column and directly against another piece (maybe only a pawn) as long as its their second move (and its possible that they need to only have moved one space on their first move)
So basically, if you move your pawn one forward, then the opponent moves a pawn up to yours and blocks its forward travel you can go to its side.

The king can also move several places at once, if it has not moved, and the rook has not moved(also need a clear path between them). I believe the rook moves over till it hits the king, then they swap positions to move the king into the corner.
You're wrong on both accounts. In the many years of me playing chess and the dozens of guides I've read I have never once seen either of the two written.

The pawn gets stuck.

As for the king, he isn't into the corner, but they're put in the middle of 2 spaces separating them switched around.

So   Rook - SPACE - SPACE - King

switch  SPACE - King - Rook - SPACE
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6498
Back in elementary school me and my brother were into chess quite a bit and went into local tournaments hosted at schools.  We usually did pretty well, the highlight being when we went in a tournament hosted by a private school that supplied all the students with chess lessons from a 'chess master' lol we were practically the only kids not from the school in the tournament.  They even made marble knights for the first and second place kids.  Needless to say, my brother and I came first and second place

Chess is a sweet game imo.  Haven't played in forever though, I forget half the strategies.
Brasso
+1,549|6621

-Sh1fty- wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

You're wrong on both accounts. In the many years of me playing chess and the dozens of guides I've read I have never once seen either of the two written.

The pawn gets stuck.

As for the king, he isn't into the corner, but they're put in the middle of 2 spaces separating them switched around.

and if you're castling on the side with 3 spaces, the king only moves over 2.

there's that crazy backwards french shit with the pawns if they pass each other iirc.  one can take a diagonal step back and kill the other pawn or something
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6645

One of the first computer games I got was LEGO Chess. Boy was that sweet, fucking loved it. ...Kinda wanna reinstall it and play again...
VicktorVauhn

-Sh1fty- wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The pawn gets stuck.

Yeah, its kinda inbetween what I was saying and what you were saying...

I think I was thinking of an "en passant" where a pawn can capture a piece directly to the side of him by making a diagonal move into the open space behind the opposing pawn if the opposing pawns only move has been his initial 2 tiles forward.

So it doesn't help you if your blocked, and it is a capture, but it lets you move diagonally with out moving into an occupied square...

as far as the king, i didn't mean the very corner space on the board, just that he gets tucked into the corner (considering the corner to be more then just the one tile).... off to the side blocked by the other pieces.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2009-11-17 13:45:53)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

Yeah, en passant is only valid if the pawn initially moves two spaces to avoid the trap of your pawn.  It's a really basic move.

I lived next door to a Grandmaster and my brother taught chess for about 5 years under him when we were growing up.  I'm not that great at it but my brother's awesome, nationally ranked and all that jazz.  I've beaten him a few times, but it very well could be that he let me win so I'd play against him more often.  I really should start playing again, it's a fun game to play, gets your mind going too.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6220|NSW, Australia

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I love how I casually said, "Check mate"
next time say it the aussie way

"Check, mate"

in aussie accent of course (real aussie not what you yanks think (crocodile dundee rubbish))

this guy looks like a bogan but hes got the right accent

after listening i dont think he says mate at all in it.

and lol at the saying cunt to your mates.
I always try to call my friends the most dirty rude things I can think of, and I expect the same back. But dont take that the wrong way, theres a time and a place for this behaviour and in no way would I ever come across this way to anyone else

And the only decent win was playing at a local shopping centre with giant chess pieces

Last edited by Nappy (2009-11-18 02:01:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard