d4rkph03n1x
+131|6749

I'm 185 and 60kg which is 6' 1 and  132 pounds for you americans. Basically, i'm underweight. What is the best way to gain some weight, and some general body mass/muscle.

Background: Several years ago I used to be a highly competitive long distance runner, and I used to ride 10km to school and 10km back every day, sometimes finish it up with a 5k run. Always had a fast metabolism, I've plateau'd at 60kg for like 5 years now. How do I put on about 10kg, or whatevers amount healthy for me, and then convert it into muscle on my frame?  What kind of time frame am I looking at? My plan was carb shakes and surfing for general fitness.

I should add that if you have no idea and you don't think anyone else will point me in the direction of a non retarded bodybuilding forum or some place that WILL have an idea.

Last edited by d4rkph03n1x (2009-11-13 04:06:52)

jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

marriage, video games, beer
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

How old are you?

Carb shakes? What you need is protein shakes + strength training.

Time frame? As I don't know how old you are, but I know you have a fast metabolism, I would say around 6 months or more.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6749

jsnipy wrote:

marriage, video games, beer
I said healthy -_-.

Zimmer wrote:

How old are you?

Carb shakes? What you need is protein shakes + strength training.

Time frame? As I don't know how old you are, but I know you have a fast metabolism, I would say around 6 months or more.
19 years old, turning 20 in two weeks.

Last edited by d4rkph03n1x (2009-11-13 04:31:53)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Have you ever been able to put on weight?

You're reaching the end of your super fast metabolism anyway, I say you go for meaty meals (they can still be healthy, just larger portions than usual.) and protein shakes + strength training. If that doesn't work, then you can get weight gainer shakes. And if that doesn't work, McDonalds and beer should.

Just don't focus on cardio, because you'll just stay thin.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6632|Finland

Wait until 25, everything sorts itself out. At 20 I weighed about 62-65 kg (I'm 187cm tall) and did that until I was 25, now (age 29) I'm at 77kg and rising (hopefully holding).

Besides, many girls like skinny men. It's a fetish that most indie rock chicks have.
I need around tree fiddy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
19 is too young to be trying to put on weight, although 60kg is light.
I'm 5'13" also and think I was about 65kg at 19.
Eat pasta, pizza, drink beer you'll be fine in no time.

Otherwise find a body-building forum and try to gain weight slowly, 1-2 years is more sensible.
Don't go nuts with the weight training, it fucks up your joints.

Or just wait 5-10 years.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-11-13 04:49:22)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6632|Finland

Dilbert_X wrote:

You just described 99% of my fridge.
I need around tree fiddy.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Otherwise find a body-building forum and try to gain weight slowly, 1-2 years is more sensible.

Or just wait 5-10 years.
0.o

19 isn't too young. 14 may be too young, but 19 is a good time to start doing exercise and building. Your muscles are developed enough to handle it and it keeps you fit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

DonFck wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a beer only fridge.
19 isn't too young. 14 may be too young, but 19 is a good time to start doing exercise and building. Your muscles are developed enough to handle it and it keeps you fit.
Maybe, trying to build on nothing is pretty hard though, better to wait for it to kick in naturally, which it probably will at some point.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-11-13 04:53:31)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
Eat six small meals a day, work out at least five days a weeks (stength training).  If you really want to pack on size quick take a weight gainer.  I recommend TruMass by BSN.  Tastes pretty good and it works.  check out www.bodybuilding.com for more stuff man... If you want help with a diet or workout plan just PM me.  Im pretty ripped and the gym is like my number one hobby since BF2 died in 2007.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2009-11-13 05:13:05)

baggs
+732|6204
all weight work, little cardio.
Ec0li
Vagina face
+167|5999|London ㋛

EAT MORE!

how many calories you on a day? Drinking protein shakes won't do shit unless you're working out and getting the right amount of carbs and fats in too. Carb shakes are ok but not exactly good for you with the amount of sugar they put in them.

I assume you're referring to bodybuilding.com. If you can see past the trolls it's actually a pretty informative website, just look at the nutrition section, you can do as much excersise as you want but if you're not eating right then forget it.

Eat 5 - 6 small meals a day, pastas, rices, breads, green veg and lean meats like chicken, beef and tuna. Get your fats from oily fish's and nuts.

GL
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy
+76|5300|Baile Atha Cliath, Éire

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I'm 185 and 60kg which is 6' 1 and  132 pounds for you americans. Basically, i'm underweight. What is the best way to gain some weight, and some general body mass/muscle.

Background: Several years ago I used to be a highly competitive long distance runner, and I used to ride 10km to school and 10km back every day, sometimes finish it up with a 5k run. Always had a fast metabolism, I've plateau'd at 60kg for like 5 years now. How do I put on about 10kg, or whatevers amount healthy for me, and then convert it into muscle on my frame?  What kind of time frame am I looking at? My plan was carb shakes and surfing for general fitness.

I should add that if you have no idea and you don't think anyone else will point me in the direction of a non retarded bodybuilding forum or some place that WILL have an idea.
Check out bodybuilding.com.

It's helped me with mass gaining/muscle building ect...

I got the help I wanted when I made this thread...

First off, I'd like to thank all Bodybuilding.com members/mods/staff that have involuntarily helped me over the past year. I've been browsing these forums since I started hitting the gym 1 year ago this month. I'm very grateful for your sound advice, you've provided me with vital information that has helped me throughout the year.

For those of you that don't know, Pectus Carinatum or 'Pigeon Chest' is a bone deformity of the sternum whereas the sternum sticks out. It's mainly caused by growth spurts during puberty. Surgery is available and is a relatively easy and an inexpensive procedure, however my case is mild comparing to the images provided by Google. I'd rather stay away from surgery as the small amount of work I've done in the gym over the past year has almost completely overshadowed it. I can still see it, and so can my mates, but it's not as obvious as it once was. My girlfriend hasn't noticed it yet, and I've been with her for over 6 months, maybe she's just being polite

I suppose a short profile of me would help:
I'm a 18 year old IT student living in Dublin, Ireland. I'm physically active and I participate in team-sports and individual sports daily. I developed this condition when I was 16 and I've been going to the gym since I was 17. I eat relatively good food and drink quiet a lot of water (2+ liters daily). Although most people would say my chest is no big deal, I find it embarrassing when I'm on the beach or with my girlfriend. Which is why I've come here! I want you guys to help me with a (realistic) diet/workout program that will provide maximum results! I'm already one of the strongest out of all my mates who go to the gym regularly, and who are quick enough to whip off their tops around the girls Although I'm physically stronger than them I'm not nearly as confident as they are, mainly due to my chest.

Since I've started University I don't have the money to pay for gym membership so I'm using my own equipment in my home. It's decent enough stuff but it does restrict a lot of exercises. I use a decent Pro-Power bench and a 60KG set of York free-weights (along with a few extra 20KG I purchased separately). I've got a 60KG punchbag with mits and an exercise ball and mat too. So I'm fairly sorted and I've got a decent enough setup here at home! I've been using this equipment for 90 minute sessions over the last 2 months 4 days/week.

Here's a summery of my past workout:

Warmup
5 min stretching all major muscles
5 min round with punchbag
10 min run around local area

Workout
2 X 25 pushups
1 X 50 declined situps (using the bench linked)
2 X 25 pushups
1 X 50 declined situps (using the bench linked)

2 X 22KG dumbbell benchpress (2 sets of 10 reps)
1 X 50 situps
2 X 16KG dumbbell flyes (2 sets of 10 reps)
1 X 'The Plank'
2 X 16KG declined dumbbell benchpress (2 sets of 10 reps)
1 X 50 situps

2 X 14KG dumbbell curls (2 sets of 20 reps [left1, right2, left3, right4 ect...])
2 X 14KG hammer curls (2 sets of 20 reps [left1, right2, left3, right4 ect...])
2 X 10 pull ups
1 5 min punchbag round

I'm not concerned about my shoulders, back or legs. What I want to improve is my chest (mainly), my abs and my arms. Any advice would help, especially regarding my chest

Unable to post links/images due to post count
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

90 minutes is too long a work out to do each day. You should be doing 45 minute hardcore workouts. 90 minutes just tire out your muscles too much and don't give you enough recovery time.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6439|King Of The Islands

DonFck wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And a box of bicarb soda?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6547
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
I did but after a year of trying I gave up. I'll wait till I'm 20 now and try again.

Fuck you, body
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver

Zimmer wrote:

90 minutes is too long a work out to do each day. You should be doing 45 minute hardcore workouts. 90 minutes just tire out your muscles too much and don't give you enough recovery time.
I've been struggling with over training lately.. I guess I just love pushing myself.  I spent over an hour just on the squat rack on Wednesday.. Worked from 135lbs-315lbs in 10lb increments..
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

SonderKommando wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

I've been struggling with over training lately.. I guess I just love pushing myself.  I spent over an hour just on the squat rack on Wednesday.. Worked from 135lbs-315lbs in 10lb increments..
Yeah, it gets really addictive, especially when you feel like you can, but it's just not good for your body. However sweet it feels, it's damaging your muscles more than making them bigger. Sure, it's not as bad as not doing any exercise, but there is just no point.
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy
+76|5300|Baile Atha Cliath, Éire

SonderKommando wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

I don't get results unless I push myself. And I just don't feel the same sense of achievement one gets after successfully completing a fairly tough workout. Nothing beats the pleasure you get when you get that one last rep, not even sex

E:@ Zimmer, I'll believe your 45 min theory if you post an image of your body and it's -worthy.

Last edited by Irishpride<3 (2009-11-13 06:03:37)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Huh? It's not a theory. It's a fact. Strength training should not exceed 60 minutes due to the fact that your muscles will go into catabolic state. Your body starts to release cortesol and starts to feed off its own energy and new muscle tears that were created.

You can balance more than 1 hour of Strength training with Cardio, but you shouldn't be going over the 1 hour mark. You can, sure, and you will still build, but you wont build as effectively and you wont improve strength as well.

It's no theory, but you want optimal work outs? You do it under 1 hour.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6749

Zimmer wrote:

Have you ever been able to put on weight?

You're reaching the end of your super fast metabolism anyway, I say you go for meaty meals (they can still be healthy, just larger portions than usual.) and protein shakes + strength training. If that doesn't work, then you can get weight gainer shakes. And if that doesn't work, McDonalds and beer should.

Just don't focus on cardio, because you'll just stay thin.
2 or 3 kilos at max. I'm 20 in a couple of weeks too.

DonFck wrote:

Wait until 25, everything sorts itself out. At 20 I weighed about 62-65 kg (I'm 187cm tall) and did that until I was 25, now (age 29) I'm at 77kg and rising (hopefully holding).

Besides, many girls like skinny men. It's a fetish that most indie rock chicks have.
Bullshit, I need definitive proof cos i don't get laid at all. :\

Last edited by d4rkph03n1x (2009-11-13 07:09:01)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

It's true to some extent what DonFck says, but you have to have a certain look for that.

Just work out a strength training program, as little cardio as possible, small meals throughout the day and shakes. I suggest all-in-one shakes that take out the problems of adding extras to it and making it taste like shit. You want quick carbs, good lot of protein and creatine (read up on it if unsure). I currently use PhD Nutrition Synergy Iso7 - Chocolate Orange Deluxe flavour and Double Chocolate Cookie. The Chocolate Orange Deluxe tastes just like Terrys Chocolate Orange - might be a bit too rich for you, but if you're looking for flavour, these guys nail it. I've tried a lot of shit and this is the best stuff - The best PURE protein shakes are Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, taste delicious and don't clump. Research the market and see what looks best for you, there is a lot of shit out there, so you need to be careful what you take.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6568|Mountains of NC

Zimmer wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Or just wait 5-10 years.
0.o

https://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mother%20of%20God.jpg

you're in a height scale all to yourself
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard