Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl … 99080.html
Random thoughts on the passing scene:

If politicians stopped meddling with things they don't understand, there would be a more drastic reduction in the size of government than anyone in either party advocates.

Thomas Sowell RealClearPolitics

It was fascinating to see Barack Obama warning us not to leap to conclusions about the killings at Fort Hood, Texas-- after the way he leaped to conclusions over the arrest of Henry Louis Gates, when he knew less about the facts than we already know about the massacre at Fort Hood.

My first column, more than 30 years ago, was titled "The Profits of Doom." Recent news stories about the millions of dollars that Al Gore has made out of his "global warming" hysteria suggest that some things haven't changed much in three decades.

Although the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation backs up bank accounts, a recent audit suggests that the FDIC does not have enough money in its own account to do its job. No doubt more money will be printed in Washington if necessary. But what this means is that even the record-breaking federal deficit understates the government's real financial liabilities, because agencies like FDIC and the Federal Housing Authority are likely to need increased amounts of money to keep going.

An e-mail from a reader says that liberals like to take the moral high ground, even though their own moral relativism means that there is no moral high ground.

I doubt whether the man responsible for the massacre at Fort Hood will pay with his life for the lives that he took. He may well be free again someday. We can only hope that he does not get a hero's welcome when he arrives in some terror-sponsoring country, the way the Lockerbie bomber did.

A recent study by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights showed that, after the housing boom and bust, blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asian Americans and American Indians all reduced their subprime mortgage loans. Only politicians seem not to have learned anything from the economic disaster, and to persist in the reckless policies that brought it on.

Baseball has too many close plays and too many judgment calls to have wholesale instant replay that could add hours to a game. However, there is no reason why there can't be some device to show automatically whether any part of a ball went over any part of the plate, before an umpire can call it a strike. How wide the strike zone is shouldn't depend on what umpire is behind the plate.

Among the many infirmities of age is omniscience.

What I most remember about the late Irving Kristol, aside from his wisdom-- which is much rarer among intellectuals than one might expect-- was that I never saw him angry, either in person or in the media. And he lived in a time when there was much to be angry about. Those of us who are getting along in years are unlikely to see another like him, and even those who are younger will be lucky if they do.

No statement is more unnecessary than the statement that the government should "do something" about some issue. Politicians are going to "do something," whether or not something needs to be done, and regardless of whether what they do makes matters better or worse. All their incentives are to keep themselves in the public eye.

There is no point dwelling on all the foolish mistakes we have made in our lives. For one thing, it can be very time-consuming.

One of the few advantages to the country in having Congress overwhelmingly in the hands of one party is that the lack of need to compromise lets the leaders of that party reveal themselves for what they are-- in this case, people with unbounded arrogance and utter contempt for the right of ordinary people to live their lives as they see fit, much less the right to know as citizens what laws are going to be passed by their government. The question is whether voters will remember on election day in 2010.

Even if this country can survive intact and unharmed after the Obama administration-- or, heaven help us, two terms of Obama-- the gullibility that led to his being elected in the first place will still be there for some other slick demagogue to come along and get the power to put the American way of life, and even our physical safety, at risk again.

Copyright 2009, Creators Syndicate Inc.

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-11-10 02:18:24)

Love is the answer
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

Article wrote:

...has made out of his "global warming" hysteria...
Stopped reading there.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
lol... keep drinking the koolaid...
Love is the answer
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

I find it amusing the amount of people that still refuse to believe in climate change, simple because someone from the opposing party make a big deal out of it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
'An e-mail from a reader says that liberals like to take the moral high ground, even though their own moral relativism means that there is no moral high ground.'

Wow, does journalism get better than this?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Whole article was rhetoric and no substance.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

So is RealClearPolitics the new WorldNetDaily, when it comes to insane GOP ramblings?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Even if this country can survive intact and unharmed after the Obama administration-- or, heaven help us, two terms of Obama
It very nearly didn't survive Bush, and he was the neo-con wunderkind.
Realclearpolitics = lowingesque venting.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
Nothing wrong in safeguarding the future of the planet even if you personally think climate change is a load of bull.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lol... keep drinking the koolaid...
Or keep doing geography at uni...one of the two
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.

ghettoperson wrote:

I find it amusing the amount of people that still refuse to believe in climate change, simple because someone from the opposing party make a big deal out of it.
Or it's just apathy. Takes so long for there to be any significant changes people just lose interest and stop caring. Applies to most things really, Africa, Wars, Shit Government, etc.

Ahh human nature.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
RCP : Well-informed opinion :: Kindergartner : Quantum mechanics
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

Small sample size. I farted twice in the past five minutes. Does that mean I'm going to fart every five minutes for the rest of my life? Has my body drastically changed so that this occurs? No. It's a small sample size that can be spun in any way one wishes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Small sample size. I farted twice in the past five minutes. Does that mean I'm going to fart every five minutes for the rest of my life? Has my body drastically changed so that this occurs? No. It's a small sample size that can be spun in any way one wishes.
Yet if Reagan told you it was true, you'd be all over it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

Yeah? I am neither Republican, nor Democrat. I am a Libertarian who hasn't been shown any real proof and who refuses to jump on a bandwagon. Prove to me that human consumption and the 0.002% increase in atmospheric carbon that we have supposedly caused can lead to catastrophic consequences.

I despise 'Liberals' because they have usurped a name that implies free thinking and rational thought and perverted it into worship of the most conservative possible economic system ever dreamed up and the worship of the cause du jour without putting any thought into it. Someone else said it, and I consider them to be intelligent, so it must be true. Use your own brain and question everything.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-10 10:06:24)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Yeah? I am neither Republican, nor Democrat. I am a Libertarian who hasn't been shown any real proof and who refuses to jump on a bandwagon. Prove to me that human consumption and the 0.002% increase in atmospheric carbon that we have supposedly caused can lead to catastrophic consequences.

I despise 'Liberals' because they have usurped a name that implies free thinking and rational thought and perverted it into worship of the most conservative possible economic system ever dreamed up and the worship of the cause du jour without putting any thought into it. Someone else said it, and I consider them to be intelligent, so it must be true. Use your own brain and question everything.
TBH, you weren't the person I was hoping to answer that post.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
The "global warming is fake lol" crowd are mostly lobbyists paid off by fuel companies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

The "global warming is fake lol" crowd are mostly lobbyists paid off by fuel companies.
And the global warming proponents are mostly people hoping to cash in on research grants, cap and trade exchanges and new taxes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Then don't quote me.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

RE: global warming - the logical, rational way to disprove scientists claims about global warming (on either side) is to demonstrate that you understand the science behind it.  Prove that you understand the science behind anthropogenic global warming and debunk the science and methodology of the studies.  Until then don't be surprised if you are laughed at and called funny names.

RE: OP - a largely tangential rant (which I'm guessing the author understood when titling his editorial "Random Thoughts") with little meat and a lot of potatoes.  I'm guessing the author had dinner with Andy Rooney before he wrote this.  I did LOL at this particular gem, mainly because it seems Thomas Sowell is either too brain dead or blinded by some sort of political dogma to know that this has been truth for at least as long as I've been alive:
the gullibility that led to his being elected in the first place will still be there for some other slick demagogue to come along and get the power to put the American way of life, and even our physical safety, at risk again.
Wow, you don't say?  You just blew my mind, man
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Then don't quote me.
I meant my post that you quoted.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

You are arguing that the global warming theory is based on a "small sample size" ?

Wow.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

You are arguing that the global warming theory is based on a "small sample size" ?

Wow.
How long have we been taking accurate temperature readings? 150 years? How long have we had satellite imagery that can show us differences in polar ice cap sizes? 40 years? How old is the planet? Very very fucking small sample size.
-Frederick Bastiat
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard