Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark, I like your thoughts but the bold is grating on the eyes
Sorry. Old habit.

PS. To all the people that thought "OMG WHY DIDN'T HE DO THAT BEFORE" - maybe you shouldn't have been a sarcastic dickhead about it
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark, I like your thoughts but the bold is grating on the eyes
Sorry. Old habit.

PS. To all the people that thought "OMG WHY DIDN'T HE DO THAT BEFORE" - maybe you shouldn't have been a sarcastic dickhead about it
Thanks
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

But you want it expanded.
Never said that.
No offense dude, but you seem to worship at the feet of Hannity. You'll probably deny it but I hear the exact same arguments typed here that I hear him spew on the radio. If I ever hear one more person claim that they want to shrink government without shrinking the military I'm going to scream.
None taken. I want a miltary that REMAINS on top of technology, R and D and threats to our nation and our allies. It is a time of war, shrinking the military would seem kinda counter productive to maintaining national security.

Healthcare does not.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

National security is a function of govt, not retirement or healthcare.
Ah OK, you don't need an armed militia - goodbye 2nd amendment.

On healthcare best option:
Basic govt insurance available to all.
Private insurance available to anyone who wants to pay, and regulation to stop it being withdrawn arbitrarily.
Some public hospitals
Some private hospitals

Let the market take care of the rest.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
+ a pharmaceuticals subsidies scheme.
+ real incentives to get pharmaceutical companies working on new antibiotics and antivirals.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

Hey, don't ask me. I've always wondered that myself

To be honest, probably the best 'label' that approaches the original, full meaning of liberalism is libertarianism.

PS. I would take lowing's definition of liberalism with a grain of salt. It is very different to everyone else's and always stated with overt connotations of laziness and parasitic behaviour, which is simply wrong.
Never mind the fact that I did not use the words lazyiness, or parasitic behavior in my explaination.
Are you actually suggesting you've never used the words "lazy" or "parasite" in conjunction with liberalism?

My memory isn't that bad

---

I want a healthcare and education system that works. I see no evidence that a healthcare or education system that is not controlled at the highest level (I don't really care if individual hospitals/schools are privately run) by a government authority is viable. Yes that does mean some government subsidation - there is no way a country will have a modern workable healthcare system if basic medical treatments cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

What I don't support is government incompetence.
Nope, I said the lazy and and the parasites love liberalsim and benefit the most from its ideology. Are you really going to deny that?

I agree, however that is why I do not want govt. controlling my life. take medicare for example, this govt. controlling only those that are 65 and older, what percentage of the population is that? 15 20 percent? and they have fucked that up royally. Also look at the mail system. Private buisiness is blowing htem out of the water as well. What is it that gives you faith in govt. when no examples of competency exists to support your opinion?

google the Commanche helicopter if you want a example of govt. program going to the wind.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Never said that.
No offense dude, but you seem to worship at the feet of Hannity. You'll probably deny it but I hear the exact same arguments typed here that I hear him spew on the radio. If I ever hear one more person claim that they want to shrink government without shrinking the military I'm going to scream.
None taken. I want a miltary that REMAINS on top of technology, R and D and threats to our nation and our allies. It is a time of war, shrinking the military would seem kinda counter productive to maintaining national security.

Healthcare does not.
I want the wars ended and the military shrunk. Keep up with the R&D but there is no need to keep such a large active duty military. I calculated it out once and it was costing in excess of $35M a year just to keep my battalion on active duty. Then, when coupled with pension benefits etc that $35M easily turns into $50M a year...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

National security is a function of govt, not retirement or healthcare.
Ah OK, you don't need an armed militia - goodbye 2nd amendment.

On healthcare best option:
Basic govt insurance available to all.
Private insurance available to anyone who wants to pay, and regulation to stop it being withdrawn arbitrarily.
Some public hospitals
Some private hospitals

Let the market take care of the rest.
the armed milita is the national guard and they are fighting a war right now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

No need for you to have a firearm then - hand them in plz.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Healthcare does not.
I want the wars ended and the military shrunk. Keep up with the R&D but there is no need to keep such a large active duty military. I calculated it out once and it was costing in excess of $35M a year just to keep my battalion on active duty. Then, when coupled with pension benefits etc that $35M easily turns into $50M a year...
No one wants the wars to end more than those fighting it, you know that. However, since when do we decide that a war is over when it would also take the other party to decide the same thing. Heard from Al Qaeda lately?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

No need for you to have a firearm then - hand them in plz.
You have no coherent argument regarding this discussion, anyway, I coulda swore I told you to play else where.

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-14 16:57:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

You have no coherent argument regarding this discussion anyway, I coulda swore I told you to play else where.
No, the problem is you can't think even half a step ahead.
You come out with an extreme and nonsensical strategy or opinion, and can't see where it leads.
When the fallacy is laid out for you you resort to the lame responses you ridicule libruls for.

You're now trying to say National Defence is a govt responsibiliity when clearly your constituion says its a personal responsibility.
But healthcare is solely a personal responsibility when clearly it could just as easily be a govt responsibility - which large parts of it already are.

Your thinking is disjointed, confused and apparently based on the ranting of Fox News pundits.

PS I'll play where I like kthx.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-10-14 17:02:30)

Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Never mind the fact that I did not use the words lazyiness, or parasitic behavior in my explaination.
Are you actually suggesting you've never used the words "lazy" or "parasite" in conjunction with liberalism?

My memory isn't that bad

---

I want a healthcare and education system that works. I see no evidence that a healthcare or education system that is not controlled at the highest level (I don't really care if individual hospitals/schools are privately run) by a government authority is viable. Yes that does mean some government subsidation - there is no way a country will have a modern workable healthcare system if basic medical treatments cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Nope, I said the lazy and and the parasites love liberalsim and benefit the most from its ideology. Are you really going to deny that?
I really don't give a shit what they think.

I agree, however that is why I do not want govt. controlling my life. take medicare for example, this govt. controlling only those that are 65 and older, what percentage of the population is that? 15 20 percent? and they have fucked that up royally.
How on earth does "the government runs healthcare" equate to "the government controls my life"

Also look at the mail system. Private buisiness is blowing htem out of the water as well. What is it that gives you faith in govt. when no examples of competency exists to support your opinion?
There are plenty of examples of governments doing what they're supposed to be doing dude. Plenty. Just because they don't get reported - who cares about a government program that runs quietly and does what it's supposed to do?
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

You have no coherent argument regarding this discussion anyway, I coulda swore I told you to play else where.
No, the problem is you can't think even half a step ahead.
You come out with an extreme and nonsensical strategy or opinion, and can't see where it leads.
When the fallacy is laid out for you you resort to the lame responses you ridicule libruls for.

I'll play where I like kthx.
What have I said that is extreme? Is personal responsibility some how too fuckin' extreme for you?

Your attempt at bullshit in lieu of an argument is not going to work with me. You are old news with that crap.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

What have I said that is extreme? Is personal responsibility some how too fuckin' extreme for you?
The idea that healthcare is solely a personal responsibility and anyone who says different is the spawn of Stalin.

I see no bullshit in my posts. Keep trying.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

My memory isn't that bad

---

I agree, however that is why I do not want govt. controlling my life. take medicare for example, this govt. controlling only those that are 65 and older, what percentage of the population is that? 15 20 percent? and they have fucked that up royally.
How on earth does "the government runs healthcare" equate to "the government controls my life"

Also look at the mail system. Private buisiness is blowing htem out of the water as well. What is it that gives you faith in govt. when no examples of competency exists to support your opinion?
There are plenty of examples of governments doing what they're supposed to be doing dude. Plenty. Just because they don't get reported - who cares about a government program that runs quietly and does what it's supposed to do?
1. Never said you were supposed to care what they think. I said they benefit the most from liberal ideology and you know it.

2. It isn't JUST healthcare, I also mentioned retirement, education, industry. If you can not see how govt. interfering in these things is not going to give them control while taking it away from you, then you are their perfect little liberal. The kind of person they love.

3. Really? like what. name a few govt. programs that are not plagued with cost overruns, bureaucracy, fraud waste and abuse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Name a commercical project not plagued with fraud, nepotism and inefficiency.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

The idea that healthcare is solely a personal responsibility and anyone who says different is the spawn of Stalin.

I see no bullshit in my posts. Keep trying.
I agree health care needs reforming. My position is, this. GOVT. is anything but the right answer.

Yeah ok.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Name a commercical project not plagued with fraud, nepotism and inefficiency.
nepotism? what the fuck does that have to with?
Ummmm UPS, FEDEX, McDonalds, small business, etc....
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

1. Never said you were supposed to care what they think. I said they benefit the most from liberal ideology and you know it.
yeah ok

let's get back to things that are actually relevant.

2. It isn't JUST healthcare, I also mentioned retirement, education, industry. If you can not see how govt. interfering in these things is not going to give them control while taking it away from you, then you are their perfect little liberal. The kind of person they love.
The government does not 'intefere' in education, it runs education. It sets the cirriculum that the students learn. It provides the funding that allows schools to run at a cost which is affordable.

3. Really? like what. name a few govt. programs that are not plagued with cost overruns, bureaucracy, fraud waste and abuse.
In my judgement, there is only one consideration: whether it works or not.

http://www.economicstimulusplan.gov.au/ … fault.aspx works. Basically wiped all traces of a recession from the economic landscape in this country.
http://www.environment.gov.au/settlemen … index.html $8000 solar panel rebate. Probably the main reason for the massive growth in the solar panel industry between 2007-2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act made city air breathable again. And removed artificial cooling as a local weather phenomenon. Also cut down on acid rain.
There are a whole lot of RnD projects all over the place that would not exist without government funding.
~ Richard Feynman
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

lowing wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

lowing wrote:

You are speaking of people that can not take responsibility for themselves because of their age or their disability. I am speaking of ALL others.
No im not.
"some people may not be mentally healthy or physically healthy enough". <------- Yeah, ya are.
What you quoted from me there and what you said are not the same.

I am speaking about people with problems or situations, you said "Who can't take responsibility"  as if they are dodging responsibility.  That's where I said "no".

After all I said, I am pretty clear on that.  I try to give examples and situations, but it seems to have come back to that old stereotype.  slicing and picking is easy.  it's the WHOLE post or paragraph that is important.  You're cutting out key aspects that better explain my idea.

lowing wrote:

Or, doing it your way

lowing wrote:

Nope, I said the lazy and and the parasites love liberalism and benefit the most from its ideology. Are you really going to deny that?
So, lowing, are you saying you love liberalism and benefit the most from its ideology????  I think you are.....

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2009-10-14 19:27:46)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

yeah ok

let's get back to things that are actually relevant.

The government does not 'intefere' in education, it runs education. It sets the cirriculum that the students learn. It provides the funding that allows schools to run at a cost which is affordable.

In my judgement, there is only one consideration: whether it works or not.

http://www.economicstimulusplan.gov.au/ … fault.aspx works. Basically wiped all traces of a recession from the economic landscape in this country.
http://www.environment.gov.au/settlemen … index.html $8000 solar panel rebate. Probably the main reason for the massive growth in the solar panel industry between 2007-2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act made city air breathable again. And removed artificial cooling as a local weather phenomenon. Also cut down on acid rain.
There are a whole lot of RnD projects all over the place that would not exist without government funding.
1. don't blame ya

2. really? then explain integration, zoning. This is interference, like it  or not.

3. Yes govt. funded. NOT govt. organized and operated. The fuckin' road work is govt. funded. that does not mean it is govt. runs it they take the lowest bidder.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

RoosterCantrell wrote:

lowing wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

No im not.
"some people may not be mentally healthy or physically healthy enough". <------- Yeah, ya are.
What you quoted from me there and what you said are not the same.

I am speaking about people with problems or situations, you said "Who can't take responsibility"  as if they are dodging responsibility.  That's where I said "no".

After all I said, I am pretty clear on that.  I try to give examples and situations, but it seems to have come back to that old stereotype.  slicing and picking is easy.  it's the WHOLE post or paragraph that is important.  You're cutting out key aspects that better explain my idea.

lowing wrote:

Or, doing it your way

lowing wrote:

Nope, I said the lazy and and the parasites love liberalism and benefit the most from its ideology. Are you really going to deny that?
So, lowing, are you saying you love liberalism and benefit the most from its ideology????  I think you are.....
you are speaking in circles, and I believe purposely confusing the issue and now you make no sense whatsoever.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

3. Yes govt. funded. NOT govt. organized and operated. The fuckin' road work is govt. funded. that does not mean it is govt. runs it they take the lowest bidder.
Um... all those programs are government operated, government funded, government organised by legislation. I don't see what you're getting at here.

Last edited by Spark (2009-10-14 21:19:25)

~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6541|San Diego, CA, USA
If you raise the minimum wage up too high it companies will innovate and replace low skilled job workers with robots (i.e. there's a completely automated McDonalds in Japan...).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard