Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6714|Germany
Hi!

After watching the chopper tutorial videos (nice work!) I thought I go to see if my heli-skills aren't rusted.
Asking myself if the author of the tutorials also knows the HIND and Apache of SF I tested the good old SF-choppers in a local game.
If you can handle that fat bumblebee of a HIND the chinese chopper should appear like an agile dragonfly in comparison.
And the Apache on Leviathan - oh,boy,try flying that thing in cockpitview-mode with your nightvision-goggles on,now that's low visibility...

But never mind my foolish flight sessions in a local game,more important is want I just found during it:

A perfect way to hover!

My setup is kind of a mix between jostick and keyboard,pitching and rolling is on the joystickaxis,accelerate/ decelerate and steering is on the arrow-keys.
NOW I've set accelerate/decelerate to the thrust-lever (?) on my joystick AND to up/down-keys and I leave the thrust-lever in one position,so it's at around 35% of thrust.
I still accelerate/decelerate with the up/down-keys,but now,instead of just dropping to zero the engine slowly levels itself back to 35% again.If I wanna go below that I have to keep the down-key pressed,like a brake,otherwise all stays the same except that now I don't have to tip the accelerate button all the time to keep the heli in a steady hover.

I just tried out these settings a few minutes ago,some trolls might bash it as useless but I thought some people here might find this interesting/useful.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6780
im not bashing you or trolling but i have to say your helo time / ratio isnt the most amazing and from the opposite side of the spectrum i find this stratagy interesting but not a replacement.

i have a sidewinder joystick and found it useless compared to a mouse / keybaord sertup whilst i still use a joystick / keyboard setup for planes ... just my opinion tho, but labeling an opposing opinion as trolling isnt the route id choose
PunkX
stoned
+198|6641|Canada
Im a pretty good pilot, and i use my bloody mouse/keyboard!
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6714|Germany
Yeah,I should have known that someone comes up with my shitty chopper stats....

But I have the perfect excuse,like everybody does:Most of my time/deaths in a heli were in the blackhawk,I never really got the endurance of teamkilling my way into the attack choppers,when it happens to be at the helipad when I'm around I'll take it,if 4 guys are already teamkilling for it I just don't bother.

Besides that I seem to have the "Curse of the Heliribbon",whenever I go to a lot of stress to finally get into a chopper and attempt to get my damn heliribbon either the pilot is an absolute idiot who only lets me aim at earthworms and moles with my TV-missile because of his leet lowflying-skills,or when I'm piloting the gunner is even more blind than the moles I was aiming at while gunning for his leet "Snake Shit"-buddy,chances are good that he's the same person.

But anyways,I just tested this setting with the Cobra and the Havoc and I have to say it is just great,you give full throttle and ascend like hell and the moment you let go of the up key the chopper stays at that height but doesn't limit your ability to decelerate quickly below 35% if you have to.

If you are into flying choppers and use a joystick I would give this option a try,maybe it's what you have been looking for.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6664
De-accelerating is how you hover. Most nobs think accelerating is the only way to maitain control. I should write a helo guide sometime. None of the ones out there talk about how to fly. They all talk about what to do when you are flying.
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6841|St. Louis, MO
I used to do that when I played Desert Combat.However too many controls can be a bad thing.Using the mouse and key board gives you beter control over the pitch.Ones you get it down you'll never use a flight stick with helos again.
Tagmaestro
+6|6723|New Jersey
You guys really think it's that hard to fly a chopper with a flight stick?
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6841|St. Louis, MO
No,just Don't prefer it that all.
voltage
+46|6858|Sweden
Interesting post, this heli-noob thinks. Perhaps you can use 2 buttons on the joystick as thrust instead of up-down arrow.

Those of you who use the mouse to fly, could you post some of your control settings?
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6841|St. Louis, MO
Invert the mouse,everything else default.
7thEs_ChibiKrillin
+3|6681
I would never recommend a keyboard and mouse setup for heli's. It may be easier to hover and control but heli's aren't ment for that anymore. Evasive movements are best left to the joystick as well as precision. Line up your gunner and gtfo.

The OP mentioned leaving your thrust lever at a hovering speed. I used to do that as well in DC as Yobabysdaddy mentioned. It is a good idea if you can't control your speed well, however, I mess with my thrust lever more then my stick at times.
dubbs
+105|6649|Lexington, KY

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

I would never recommend a keyboard and mouse setup for heli's. It may be easier to hover and control but heli's aren't ment for that anymore. Evasive movements are best left to the joystick as well as precision. Line up your gunner and gtfo.

The OP mentioned leaving your thrust lever at a hovering speed. I used to do that as well in DC as Yobabysdaddy mentioned. It is a good idea if you can't control your speed well, however, I mess with my thrust lever more then my stick at times.
Checkout =F13=-ArmyDr-'s tuturials.  He uses mouse and keyboard.  He is very good with just a mouse and keyboard.
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6785|Tenn
i feel retarded flying with a mouse and keyboard... i try it every now and then just to remind myself why i never fly like that... i had the choppers and planes mastered in DC with a mouse and keyboard(chopper was tuff, but i got it). i then purchased a joystick becuz i felt like a deedeedee. i switched to JS and found it not only more natural but less of the retarded feeling...
andyman99008
+3|6645|Ireland

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

De-accelerating is how you hover. Most nobs think accelerating is the only way to maitain control. I should write a helo guide sometime. None of the ones out there talk about how to fly. They all talk about what to do when you are flying.
thats is so true!
wilber69
+8|6651
I'm a joystick user. I get a better feel of flying the helo/plane with it.

However,I have to say, I admire those that fly well with the other setups, as I just don't feel as comfortable using them.
voltage
+46|6858|Sweden
The other day my pilot got sniped. I switched position and grabbed for my joystick as fast as I could but once I had it, it was too late. That's a good reason to be able to fly using mouse and keyboard .

I wished he sniped me instead. Awful feeling that, first "I can survive this!" followed by "no I can't" and then just wait for the chopper to crash into the wall. I bet the sniper had fun though, good for him.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6664

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

People always ask me if I fly with a joystick. They just can't believe that anyone can fly that good without one.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6714|Germany

voltage wrote:

The other day my pilot got sniped. I switched position and grabbed for my joystick as fast as I could but once I had it, it was too late. That's a good reason to be able to fly using mouse and keyboard .

I wished he sniped me instead. Awful feeling that, first "I can survive this!" followed by "no I can't" and then just wait for the chopper to crash into the wall. I bet the sniper had fun though, good for him.
Yeah,and if you have my heli-settings you are able to use both,joystick and mouse,so the "pilot gets sniped"- situation(which doesn't happen very often) is pretty well covered.

Dudes,this is not a joystick or mouse discussion,there are other threads about it.

I've been flying choppers before they even were in the game(BF1942-Kübelcopter-mod,anyone?) and I'm used to both kinds of control,joystick and mouse,I prefer the joystick for realism but I don't say that it is a must-have for the choppers,although for jets I wouldn't wanna miss it.

Anyways,the joystick/mouse-discussion is another thread,so please don't tell people here how leet you can fly because you use joystick/mouse/trackball/gamepad/USB-dildo/whatever for your controls,just stick to the "perfect hover setting"-idea and talk about that.

Btw,this setting is also possible if you use mouse and keyboard but have a joystick plugged in.And whatever you use,the only thing the thrustlever does is keeping the thrust at 35%,like cruisecontrol in a car.
In the chopper-tutorials it is mentioned that you have to keep your engines at around 30-35% for hovering,so that gave me the idea to set it to that value automatically by just leaving the thrustlever in one position.
Now it actually is like cruisecontrol for your altitude,the moment you let go of the up-key the engine sets itself back to 35% and you exactly stay at your current altitude,if you wanna go below that you gotta decelerate.
Sure,this won't make your flying much better in an instant,if you crash helis without "cruisecontrol" you will still crash them with it,it's just a little aid,some will like it,some won't.

I really like the setting and gonna keep it that way,if anyone here wants to test this too I'd like to hear what he thinks about it.
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6712|Howell, Mi USA

LOSER|Tearsofromance wrote:

Same here, i have a harder time finding a good gunner then piloting. I can hold a chopper steady as shit w/ mouse keyboard but i always seem to have a gunner who thinks spraying bullets in every direction till the gun overheats is the right thing to do. Then they never hit c for the nose cam view and miss 10 guys standing under us.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6770

Cbass wrote:

Same here, i have a harder time finding a good gunner then piloting. I can hold a chopper steady as shit w/ mouse keyboard but i always seem to have a gunner who thinks spraying bullets in every direction till the gun overheats is the right thing to do. Then they never hit c for the nose cam view and miss 10 guys standing under us.
Avoid high ping gunners. Ping really affects gunner's performance, esp in Cobra/Z-10.

Last edited by Dr.Battlefield (2006-04-13 09:21:37)

My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6638

Diddo
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6712|Howell, Mi USA
@ dr.battlefield yea ive kinda noticed that. i fly in nose cam view to see everything and somtimes my gunner will be shooting someone just to the side so i rotate that way a little and then they get the kill. LoL Sometimes it's hard to get guys to hop out though.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6770
LoL Sometimes it's hard to get guys to hop out though.
Yea, that's why I fly in unranked servers. I've got only 512 RAm, so when I load all vehicles are taken lol.
Maybe we'll try to fly together sometime ?

Last edited by Dr.Battlefield (2006-04-13 09:55:29)

Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6712|Howell, Mi USA

Dr.Battlefield wrote:

LoL Sometimes it's hard to get guys to hop out though.
Yea, that's why I fly in unranked servers. I've got only 512 RAm, so when I load all vehicles are taken lol.
Maybe we'll try to fly together sometime ?
wow 512mb ram, ouch. i have 1 gig and i still get beat to the choppers. but ya ill fly with u.
k9transfer
+22|6675
I recently received a Saitek x52 joystick and throttle control as a gift.  I eyeballed this monstrosity a little skeptically as I am a simple man and this thing had buttons hidden all over it that took some time to find.  That said, I loaded up bf2 and tried my hand in a heli with it.  I was a decent pilot before, wasn't my preferred role when playing tho.  But this joystick rocks!! I can land and hover with ease.  All of the buttons allow me to deploy weapons and countermeasures almost like second nature.  I highly reccommend getting one if you are serious about flying.  Awesome with jets as well...  Kind of off track I know, but if you are low skilled as a pilot getting one will boost you up to decent. You can also program profiles into it so it is set up for heli on one profile and jet on another.  You can change your profile directly on the joystick without leaving the game as it has a small LCD screen on the throttle control.

Just laying out some info for whoever is interested (please dont flame, I am a nice guy  : )    )

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard