Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401
Prove to me this is not pretty much the same as Vietnam.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Red Forman wrote:

It's exactly the same as Vietnam. Where they fucked up was sending in line troops. Should've just had the Special Forces train up the local military, provide it with some backbone for a while and then moved on once they got up and running. Now the Afghani government is completely dependent on us the same way South Vietnam was.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
No jungle?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Plenty of parallels.

Vietnam was to stop the spread of Communism, the Afghanistan war is to stop the spread of terrorism.

I agree that they are becoming one in the same.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

ATG wrote:

No jungle?
this isnt a travel show rick steves
ATG
Banned

Red Forman wrote:

ATG wrote:

No jungle?
this isnt a travel show rick steves
I answered your question you commie basterd. And it's Huell Howser
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky
fucktard politicians running the war from the comfort of the States.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

S3v3N wrote:

fucktard politicians running the war from the comfort of the States.
You're not getting enough support in (from) Afghanistan, either.

The latest claims of election fraud really have not helped the US cause.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
It's probably not as useless as Vietnam. I mean who gives a shit if Vietnam fells to the communists. What the fuck does that matter, that's their fucking problem if they wanted communism. If Afghanistan falls back into the hands of the terrorists though, that could have grave consequences as has already been demonstrated with 9/11 and various other terrorist attacks which originated within Afghanistan in terms of planning and preperation etc..

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-09-28 21:43:12)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Mekstizzle wrote:

I mean who gives a shit if Vietnam fells to the communists..
Have a look at domino theory in the Mccarthyism era.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Still doesn't affect the US in any real way compared to terrorists having a safe haven which really would affect the US in a personal manner
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال

Mekstizzle wrote:

If Afghanistan falls back...
Falls back? It is in the hands of Taliban. They did retreat in 2001 and they made a promise to come back, so I would say it always has been in their hands.

This war will continue for many years.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
ATG
Banned
There is a new term.

the AfPak war.

I hate...stuff.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Its a fuck-up - like Vietnam.
The shame is it didn't need to be - thats what you get if you let ignorant zealots direct policy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
TrueMusou
+36|6162|United States Of Hamerica

JohnG@lt wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

It's exactly the same as Vietnam. Where they fucked up was sending in line troops. Should've just had the Special Forces train up the local military, provide it with some backbone for a while and then moved on once they got up and running. Now the Afghani government is completely dependent on us the same way South Vietnam was.
Agreed...sadly, politicians tend to suck at history and will make mistakes again and again and again.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

Mekstizzle wrote:

If Afghanistan falls back into the hands of the terrorists though, that could have grave consequences as has already been demonstrated with 9/11 and various other terrorist attacks which originated within Afghanistan in terms of planning and preperation etc..
LOL the only people the Taliban were terrorising was the Afghanis, at least until the West jumped in. Didn't you know that Bin LAden is a Saudi, the hijackers on 9/11 were mainly Saudis, and Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have both produced more 'terrorists' than Afghanistan. It IS a fuck-up, but not for the reasons you mention.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

ruisleipa wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

If Afghanistan falls back into the hands of the terrorists though, that could have grave consequences as has already been demonstrated with 9/11 and various other terrorist attacks which originated within Afghanistan in terms of planning and preperation etc..
LOL the only people the Taliban were terrorising was the Afghanis, at least until the West jumped in. Didn't you know that Bin LAden is a Saudi, the hijackers on 9/11 were mainly Saudis, and Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have both produced more 'terrorists' than Afghanistan. It IS a fuck-up, but not for the reasons you mention.
You should prolly do some research, Afghanistan has been a safe haven for terrorists under taliban control for many years ... doesn't matter what country the terrorist originate from, many of them got their training in Afghanistan ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Varegg wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You should prolly do some research, Afghanistan has been a safe haven for terrorists under taliban control for many years ... doesn't matter what country the terrorist originate from, many of them got their training in Afghanistan ...
Word.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
Yep its pretty much the same.  I think the question is: If its the same as Vietnam, should we just pull out?
Dont have an answer for that one. Part of me says its futile and we shouldnt waste good soldiers lives there any more. Part thinks that if we left, it would be a massive shot in the arm for terrorists, and the small improvements in living standards some of the locals have got due to foreign control, would be wiped out.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Red Forman wrote:

Not a Communist-backed civil war.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Cybargs wrote:

Varegg wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Word.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
And now they get their training in Pakistan.
Wow that was worth it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Oh yeah and the fatality/casualties for the US in Vietnam was huge. I mean no offence, but really the amount of dead in Afghanistan and Iraq combined in total since 2001 isn't actually that high. Not when you compare it to other things, including Vietnam.

And... I mean more people died in a single fucking day in WW2

I know its easy for me to sit here and say that when I don't know anyone or have been personally affected at all by the wars in Iraqistan, but still, sometimes shit needs to be put more into perspective

---

Oh yeah, and one question about Vietnam. I always hear about how there was a draft, but I don't get it. Did that really mean that every able man had to sign up and fight in Vietnam?

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-09-29 06:22:23)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

And now they get their training in Pakistan.
Wow that was worth it.
So being squeezed between one army and another in a far smaller patch of land compared to the entire of Afghanistan isn't an improvement?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

Oh yeah and the fatality/casualties for the US in Vietnam was huge. I mean no offence, but really the amount of dead in Afghanistan and Iraq combined in total since 2001 isn't actually that high. Not when you compare it to other things, including Vietnam.

And... I mean more people died in a single fucking day in WW2

I know its easy for me to sit here and say that when I don't know anyone or have been personally affected at all by the wars in Iraqistan, but still, sometimes shit needs to be put more into perspective
Body armor is more widespread now. Better medical care as well. Harder to ambush soldiers on a mountain than in a jungle. Less troops involved etc etc etc.

Hell, the weapons haven't even changed. It's still M-16 vs AK-47.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard