mikkel
+383|6597

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

24 years for rape is absurd. This was a particularly terrible, disgusting case of it, but 24 years? No way. The notion that rape should be punished harder than attempting to take another person's life is ridiculous as well. People should be arguing for attempted murder carrying the same sentence as murder in the first degree, not that it should be comparable to rape.

Knee-jerk, mob mentality legislation. Same as for paedophilia. Most of the sociopaths favouring it would be just as happy to see the convicted killed right away. Hooray for civilisation.
You do understand that throughout human history that rape has been a capital offense, yes? 24 years is a light sentence. Guess you'll have to dream of getting laid another way.
Yes. Throughout history, mankind has also orchestrated other wonderful things, such as burning alleged witches, slaughtering people for heresy, decapitating thieves, and hanging dissidents. Your argument is a compelling one.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

24 years for rape is absurd. This was a particularly terrible, disgusting case of it, but 24 years? No way. The notion that rape should be punished harder than attempting to take another person's life is ridiculous as well. People should be arguing for attempted murder carrying the same sentence as murder in the first degree, not that it should be comparable to rape.

Knee-jerk, mob mentality legislation. Same as for paedophilia. Most of the sociopaths favouring it would be just as happy to see the convicted killed right away. Hooray for civilisation.
you're right
let's just give them 5 years and a medal of fucking freedom too
can't seem uncivilized can we
The false dichotomy; a hallmark of Debate and Serious Talk.
NantanCochise
+55|5974|Portugal/United States
Actually attempted murder in the US has a minimum sentence of 5 years prison. Rape is a little over 9 and a half years years (117 months). In this case though, it was an incestious rape of a 10 year old child. Child rape has an average sentance 20 years prison.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5746|شمال
rape >> attempted murder
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5697|College Park, MD
mikkel what do you suggest we do with these sorts of people?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
mikkel
+383|6597

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

They should be imprisoned, obviously, but sentencing anyone to 24 years in prison for rape is preposterous. A more sane approach, in my opinion, would be an eight to ten year sentencing for the rape charge. I struggle to find a rational argument for the current theme of filling up prisons to capacity, to the point of turning down convicts for incarceration, simply to keep inmates stagnating in underfunded environments so conducive to criminal indoctrination that many of them end up more criminal than they were when they entered the system.

I find it difficult to believe that the prospect of spending 24 years in jail would deter anything beyond a fraction of the criminals willing to carry out crimes punishable by imprisonment for ten years. I also cannot imagine that anything more than an insignificant portion of the people who fail to be dissuaded from repeating their crimes after ten years would reach a point of dissuasion at any point in their future.

I am of the opinion that sentences of this length do vastly more harm to society by overpopulating prisons and negatively affecting inmates on shorter terms, than what would be done were the sentences to be halved.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

They should be imprisoned, obviously, but sentencing anyone to 24 years in prison for rape is preposterous. A more sane approach, in my opinion, would be an eight to ten year sentencing for the rape charge. I struggle to find a rational argument for the current theme of filling up prisons to capacity, to the point of turning down convicts for incarceration, simply to keep inmates stagnating in underfunded environments so conducive to criminal indoctrination that many of them end up more criminal than they were when they entered the system.

I find it difficult to believe that the prospect of spending 24 years in jail would deter anything beyond a fraction of the criminals willing to carry out crimes punishable by imprisonment for ten years. I also cannot imagine that anything more than an insignificant portion of the people who fail to be dissuaded from repeating their crimes after ten years would reach a point of dissuasion at any point in their future.

I am of the opinion that sentences of this length do vastly more harm to society by overpopulating prisons and negatively affecting inmates on shorter terms, than what would be done were the sentences to be halved.
You should convince them not to commit crimes then you wouldn't have overpopulated prisons. Have you gone to low income areas yourself to try to show people the right path? Have you adopted high risk kids and raised them in your own home to help them break the cycle?

I personally think the punishments fit the crime quite well. It's also quite simple. If you aren't planning on committing the crime you really shouldn't be bothered that some jackass that did is going to spend the next 24 years of his life in jail. The punishment is supposed to act as a deterrent against people committing those crimes in the future.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

Macbeth, would you rather I raped you or tried to murder you and failed?
NantanCochise
+55|5974|Portugal/United States

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What are you talking about? The guy got 24 years for raping his 10 year old son-in-law. Did you take into consideration the fact that it was a child that was raped and what is legally considered an incestuous relationship. 24 years too harsh??? Its a 20 year average sentance for child abuse, plus 4 for attempted murder (5 years being the minimum sentance), seems to me he already got a year off.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6770|Noizyland

It was a package deal, buy the rape and child abuse, get incest free!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
TrueMusou
+36|6157|United States Of Hamerica

DrunkFace wrote:

TrueMusou wrote:

Holy shit...I feel absolutely disgusted that this is something a human being is capable of. I feel sorry for the girl...living her life is literally gonna be a nightmare at this point. I'd hate to say this...but I think she would be better off dead after this. I wouldn't be able to cope after such a traumatic ordeal.
No offence, but harden the fuck up. And no, they wouldn't be better of dead.
Are you serious? "Harden, the fuck up." Who the fuck do you think you are? The harshes thing you probably ever experienced was your mom grounding you for staying out too late. This girl is 10 years old...not something she's gonna take lightly, and she WILL be fucked up for the rest of her life. Why don't you grow the fuck up and try to sympathize and imagine what it would be like to live life with physical burn scars and emotional scars.

I hope this girl does somehow learn to cope and live a decent life...but the odds are stacked up against her.
mikkel
+383|6597

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

You should convince them not to commit crimes then you wouldn't have overpopulated prisons. Have you gone to low income areas yourself to try to show people the right path? Have you adopted high risk kids and raised them in your own home to help them break the cycle?
What precisely are you trying to say here?

JohnG@lt wrote:

I personally think the punishments fit the crime quite well. It's also quite simple. If you aren't planning on committing the crime you really shouldn't be bothered that some jackass that did is going to spend the next 24 years of his life in jail. The punishment is supposed to act as a deterrent against people committing those crimes in the future.
I addressed this in the post that you're replying to.

NantanCochise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What are you talking about? The guy got 24 years for raping his 10 year old son-in-law. Did you take into consideration the fact that it was a child that was raped and what is legally considered an incestuous relationship. 24 years too harsh??? Its a 20 year average sentance for child abuse, plus 4 for attempted murder (5 years being the minimum sentance), seems to me he already got a year off.
Why are you making an argument against my opinion of shortening sentences by pointing out that it would conflict with the sentencing guidelines that I disagree with?

Last edited by mikkel (2009-09-25 10:57:38)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

@ghetto a getting raped sounds better than set on fire.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

TrueMusou wrote:

I hope this girl does somehow learn to cope and live a decent life...but the odds are stacked up against her.
Oh really.  Oprah Winfrey, Teri Hatcher, Anne Heche, Casper Van Dien, Goldie Hawn...
Reciprocity
+721|6576|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Ilocano wrote:

TrueMusou wrote:

Oh really.  Oprah Winfrey, Teri Hatcher, Anne Heche, Casper Van Dien, Goldie Hawn...
yes, a few celebrities outweigh millions of prostitutes, drug addicts, homeless, convicts, and abusers.  not that all the dregs of society were abused or raped, but there is a strong statistical correlation between childhood abuse and the above metioned social maladies.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

Reciprocity wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

TrueMusou wrote:

yes, a few celebrities outweigh millions of prostitutes, drug addicts, homeless, convicts, and abusers.  not that all the dregs of society were abused or raped, but there is a strong statistical correlation between childhood abuse and the above metioned social maladies.
But better to end your life after such a traumatic event?
Lai
+186|6147

mikkel wrote:

Even full blown murder can be committed from a practical perspective, it has something bussinesslike about it. Rape doesn't, not ever. Rape is a violation of the code and the punishment should be having your head cut of with a glowing hot sword.

For the record: I mean that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard