ISortGlass
Banned
+2|5360
This is an argument both I and my brother have had for years. Are NASCAR drivers, or any other driver in a professional motor sport, considered an "athlete?" Due to the fact that operating a motor vehicle, doesn't really require you to be athletic. You could take anyone whom is woefully out of shape, put him/her behind the wheel of a stock car, and he/she could race. The nature of nearly all sports require you to be physically fit. Are bowlers and chess players "athletes?"

I'm sorry if this thread offends anyone, but I just have to get this off my chest.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5485|Bolingbrook, Illinois
Not this again. 
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA
go try it and get back to me
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

just remember to turn right
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Reflexes and sound mind depend largely on a sound body. I know a lot of people (pretty much including myself) will think this analogy is stupid, but professional gamers aren't the stereotypical fat slob either.

Just because you aren't pushing your body to its limits of strength and endurance doesn't mean a sport isn't physically demanding.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Reflexes and sound mind depend largely on a sound body. I know a lot of people (pretty much including myself) will think this analogy is stupid, but professional gamers aren't the stereotypical fat slob either.

Just because you aren't pushing your body to its limits of strength and endurance doesn't mean a sport isn't physically demanding.
is flying an airplane a sport?
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
oh shit they're making a turn.
Flaming_Maniac

Red Forman wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

uh yeah?

http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

uh yeah?

no not air racing.  flying a CAT II approach with 100 people on board.  seems to fit your definition so i was just asking.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-09-23 21:22:32)

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA
is it 110 degrees and are you inches away from other airplanes for 4+ hrs?
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

ph1shman420 wrote:

i am not arguing that...just his definition.  calm down.
Flaming_Maniac

Red Forman wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

uh yeah?

no not air racing.  flying a CAT II approach with 100 people on board.  seems to fit your definition so i was just asking.
I think it takes the same physical exertion as a lot of sports, but without the competitiveness. So while I wouldn't classify it as a sport, I recognize that it is demanding to fly a plane.

and I knew what you meant, just dicking with you about Reno
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402
competing against god maybe?  gravity?
Flaming_Maniac
If you pay tithes you don't have to compete against god.

k no more derail
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA

Red Forman wrote:

ph1shman420 wrote:

i am not arguing that...just his definition.  calm down.
im calm as fuck brah

tranquil and serene until i run out of supplies
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6575
Well, lets see...
Go to a go-cart track, line up enough money to run about 40 laps, non stop.  Then check and see if you neck, your arms, your torso isnt tired, heavy and/or sore.

Now...
Think about a NASCAR driver, on an oval course diving into turn 1 or turn 3 at or about 180-200mph, the side loads reach somewhere around 3-4 g's.  They do this for 3-4 hours with the only breaks being caution laps.  Why is it, do you think, that they have seats built with a rest/gaurd on the right side?

On another level...
F1...fighter planes on wheels.
Ever watched an F1 race broadcast and seen the little G meter on the screen?  It will go from neutral to left 1.5-2 g's, to negative 2 g's, to positive 1.5-2 g's all in about 2seconds (of course, depending on where they are racing).

Do you think they are athletic?  Imo, DUHHHHH, the HAVE to be, forces such as that placed on an unprepared human body can become threatening, not only to you, but to the racers around you, and your pit-crew.

Seriously, the only driver (successfull) I know of that doesnt really fit the "athletic profile is Tony Stewart.  But, Tony has been a big ol' boy all his life.  His body has adjusted to the requirements of his chosen profession and his driving style have allowed him to be as "athletic" as is required.

Again, if you want to know if they are athletes, go to a go-cart track and drive non-stop for about 40 laps, oval, road-course, it makes no difference.  Then, ask yourself that question again.

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA
/thread
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402
ive seen some fat neckcar drivers.  not too many fat f1 drivers though.
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA

Red Forman wrote:

no you havent
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

ph1shman420 wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

no you havent
ja i have.
13rin
+977|6481

ISortGlass wrote:

This is an argument both I and my brother have had for years. Are NASCAR drivers, or any other driver in a professional motor sport, considered an "athlete?" Due to the fact that operating a motor vehicle, doesn't really require you to be athletic. You could take anyone whom is woefully out of shape, put him/her behind the wheel of a stock car, and he/she could race. The nature of nearly all sports require you to be physically fit. Are bowlers and chess players "athletes?"

I'm sorry if this thread offends anyone, but I just have to get this off my chest.
Not a NASCAR fan, but your statement is incorrect.  The forces and environment the NASCAR driver is subjected to -you could not take anyone and put them behind the wheel.  An obese person wouldn't even be able to get into the car.  Races last hours.  Holding that focused attention at speeds up to 200mph for hours is probably a bit more difficult than you think.

Chess and Bowlers?  Bowling is a sport.  Chess is a game.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
It's quite common for drivers to sweat several pounds off, it easily hits 100 degrees (F) in those cars, and they need lightning fast reflexes.  I'd say they are certainly athletes.
aimless
+166|6126|Texas
They play a sport so yes, they are athletes.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

they need to make it a olympic sport ........... take the best from all countries ( or the ones that can afford cars ) stick them in little racing go-carts :

https://www.barismancointeractive.com/images/go_karts/go_karts_250x251.jpg

and have them do a couple laps around the running track :

https://www.building.co.uk/Pictures/web/v/u/s/ATHETICS-SYDNEY.jpg

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5934|CA
It takes a lot of power and endurance to hold down your sister for fornication purposes with a Pabst Blue tall can in one hand.  Such athleticism cannot be denied.

Last edited by GravyDan (2009-09-24 12:53:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard