Ei Em
+7|5500
I don't understand why flags can't be something like in Mashtuur City (but just with few more flags)? Not this linear and boring Karkand/Jalalabad style. Why other team has one flag (and typically UCB) and other team has all the other flags? Why not just one start flag with both teams and NO UCB's at all?

TehMyke's suggestion in itself about this map is already million times better than this map is now. (I'm sure that even Venom6's versions of this map would be better, I just can't see 'em.)
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6532|Polish state of EU
http://battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/b … ryid=46650

[Battlefield 2] Bjorn Sundell Operation Blue Pearl feedback

So, the beta of update 1.50 is out. The point of having a beta is of course to get feedback from all you players out there. And as the level designer of Operation Blue Pearl I of course am interested in how the map plays. I don’t know if you read my earlier statements on the map design, but one of my main concerns was (as proven now) the crucial map start. It’s really hard to do a perfectly balanced beach landing that should almost, but never be, impossible to pull off. Especially without testing it a lot – and that’s what the beta is for… I knew I would get feedback on this and the earliest reports showed that some of you felt it was too hard.

So, to get the ball rolling on this and get passed negative, non-constructive comments, from the top of my head -  here are my ideas on how to resolve the issue and what I see these changes will bring to the table. Please discuss them, come up with other ideas how to make the beach landing work:

- The temple flag belongs to US at beginning (We miss out on the beach landing part of the flag)

- Remove the first control at the temple (PLA would have to constantly “refill” the front to hold it, giving the US a really good chance at landing. On the other hand, if US don’t succeed in capping the flag at the Old town square they’re going to have to restart at the home base again)

- Start the temple flag as neutral (PLA would have to race and capture it and if they manage to it’s going to be tougher for the US to push them back. In this case the US will have one “window of opportunity” on taking the flag. This could result in an interesting experience and urgency for the US to cap it on the first try. On the other hand, it they don’t succeed where at where the map is right now.)

- Add some ships in the center of the canal close enough to allow for US snipers to take out Chinese soldiers at the temple and to provide cover for the ribs and APC:s moving across. Placement should allow for US but disallow for Chinese sniping. This could be used in combination with the first three ideas.

As I’ve explained in an earlier post, the Fog-of-war is an inheritance for the game still having to support the minimum rig way back from 2005. The map, being set where it is in a city, can’t allow for a greater view distance.
1.5 sucks
Banned
+11|5495|locked in myke's basement

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

wall of text
tl;dr

Please post pics to make it so people don't have to bother reading all that

Last edited by 1.5 sucks (2009-04-23 08:12:08)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6234|Escea

Just had some good games on the map, despite having a guy who could kill everything that moved in one shot and withstand tank shells.

Both times as USMC and PLA, US got flags. Though when I played PLA that was in part because our team kept bunching up in one area and abandoning another. Was constantly moving around trying to grab the flags so pretty hectic, lots of fire.

But apart from the obvious hacker types I really like this map and its gameplay, it would be even better if the start is changed to a more US friendly approach.
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|6010|Aberdeen, Scotland

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

- Add some ships in the center of the canal close enough to allow for US snipers to take out Chinese soldiers at the temple and to provide cover for the ribs and APC:s moving across. Placement should allow for US but disallow for Chinese sniping. This could be used in combination with the first three ideas.
Nooo, encouraging half a team to attempt to snipe when they should be attacking is always a bad idea; see Jalalabad, esp on IO!
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6281
- The temple flag belongs to US at beginning (We miss out on the beach landing part of the flag)
Does anyone even enjoy these landings? They just make 99% of games hell for one team.

I say this because the way he refutes the first idea implies that the beach landing IS the map, and yet I can't think of a reason why you'd even want one when we all know what it causes.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6692|Disaster Free Zone
When does the 'ticket bleed' start and stop for each team?
Because that is the worst thing about Jalalabad and what makes a pretty good map pretty shit.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6577|England

Changing the whole concept of the map, now, is shambolic. Ive said it before, and Ill say it again: Temple, Old Square & Market should be neutral.

Keep the boat landing, and have the map as a double assault. The US can land and capture Temple and perhaps Market, whilst under-fire from the PLA advancing forwards from Yard and Fish Market.
san4
The Mas
+311|6699|NYC, a place to live
It's just not that difficult for the US to get a flag. Send a pack of APCs to the left and a pack of boats to the right. It splits the defenders just like when the US goes after Suburb at the start of a game on Karkand.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6392|the land of bourbon
i just played it for the first time... and all i have to say is meh.

it could be better, it could be worse.  my question is why DICE doesn't draw talent from the hundreds of great map modders out there to create a well-balanced map?  instead they have developers who clearly don't play enough bf2 to realize the imbalance they created.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
masterbakery
+4|6010|London
There should be more land area around the temple and some of the walls.  Doing that would mean AT can only shoot at boats when they are 10 seconds nearer, or risk being shot down in open ground.  Some kind of beachy thing is needed so that a few boats can actually make a landing.

And people need to learn to put some fire down even if it's not gonna hit to do some supressing and stop the ATs just having free hits on every boat.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6339

I like the idea of having the temple neutral, and maybe the other flag south of that.

Main reason is this: With temple neutral a lot of US players can land, and they might run into PLA resistance, but those PLA players will HAVE to fight those already landed. Thus giving other US players chance to land also, or go around.

The idea is to distract PLA, make them fight first for the flag, not just be able to walk to it, and cap it. They'll have resistance to deal with, if Temple is neutralized first.

As it is now, USA CAN cap flags and win the round but it is difficult. So in my opinion, even having ONE flag (Temple) neutral, it greatly increases the chances of USA winning.

ALSO it is MUCH less frustrating having US being able to land and fight a bit on the ground rather then being helplessly killed in a dinky little boat EVERY ROUND!

QUESTION: Can we test this out on a server?? Can't a map mod neutrilze the first flag, some of us then can download it and test it out for ourselves sometime?? LEz do it!!
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6479

Im_Dooomed wrote:

I like the idea of having the temple neutral, and maybe the other flag south of that.

Main reason is this: With temple neutral a lot of US players can land, and they might run into PLA resistance, but those PLA players will HAVE to fight those already landed. Thus giving other US players chance to land also, or go around.

The idea is to distract PLA, make them fight first for the flag, not just be able to walk to it, and cap it. They'll have resistance to deal with, if Temple is neutralized first.

As it is now, USA CAN cap flags and win the round but it is difficult. So in my opinion, even having ONE flag (Temple) neutral, it greatly increases the chances of USA winning.

ALSO it is MUCH less frustrating having US being able to land and fight a bit on the ground rather then being helplessly killed in a dinky little boat EVERY ROUND!

QUESTION: Can we test this out on a server?? Can't a map mod neutralize the first flag, some of us then can download it and test it out for ourselves sometime?? LEz do it!!
We could get the US or EU server to run the map, I think.
.:i7|Batman
Banned
+27|5511| - | - | - | - | - |
I love the new map once the US gets on land...the blocking of the roads for armor is great imo, makes them much less dominant. I can actually see dealing with the .7 delay if it had to stay that way. With changes to the map as stated above I can see myself in love with the new map

With a less populated server, the US actually had multiple bases for the majority of the round:

https://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/683b444516d39a8978bdfa878f8aae570411c0ce.png

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6281
Hey guys good news . The map designer has basically done what we asked. The map will be getting changed and the new one looks a lot friendlier to the USMC .

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt … ost8538769

As I said in an earlier post I would probably spend the weekend thinking about the feedback you guys have given me so far. So with the weekend behind us – here’s a quick update on my thoughts about the map right now:

Anyone remember Market Garden for BF1942. Market Garden was an assault map that started out with neutral flags for the defenders. The start of MG was always satisfactory for me as it infused a sense of urgency for both teams - the defenders had the urgency to rush the front points and try to take them before the attackers while the attackers had the opposite sense – to quickly gain a foothold on the other side of the bridge and not lose it. I believe that OBP, using neutral flags in the front would accomplish something like that. This will take the focus off the landing some, but I still believe it can communicate the “landing” feeling and sense of urgency.

This being said, here are my candidates right now. It’s not written in stone yet but I feel that these three layouts might cut it. Prove me wrong J

64-player layout – What I have in mind here is simply to make the 3 front flags neutral. The idea was first posted here and I can see no point in changing that layout.

32-player layout – Simply making the Temple and the Old Square neutral won’t fix the problem. So I’m making a switch in the layout. 32 will retain the 2 front flags from the 64 –player layout. This is to make it hard for the PLA to hold the front IF the US don’t manage to land the first time round. What’s more I’m shortening the layout some, removing the Harbour Office base and moving the PLA main base to the Construction Site.

16-player layout – As stated earlier I’ve based this on the wishes of the community to have the 16-player (and presumably most clan friendly version) work in IO mode. I made a layout earlier and I think I’m sticking with that for now. Kitteh hatched the wish for an IO workable version and I iterated on his version retaining the IO wish but placing the control points in more “interesting” and balanced areas of the map.

Look through the ideas and feedback on them.
https://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/attachments/battlefield-2/19d1240991744-operation-blue-pearl-feedback-layout_16_no_vehicles.jpg
https://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/attachments/battlefield-2/17d1240991729-operation-blue-pearl-feedback-32withwhiteflags_v2.jpg
https://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/attachments/battlefield-2/18d1240991737-operation-blue-pearl-feedback-64withwhiteflags.jpg

Can't wait to try out the updated version. I may even be able to fight in the city this time .
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6534|the Netherlands
2 transport choppers for both sides would be cool Cool map imo

USMC can easily win if they set a foothold on temple and market and hold it so APC's can role in , rest can then cap next flags ,push forward blow bridges with c4 , while arty goes on commanders assets bla bla Go squad go !!!! GOOD WORK,...MEN

Mostly PLA wins with AT rockets , which is terrible if your USMC Commander

Operation Blue Pearl - Fine map , not Bad .
RoaringJet[FIN]
+16|5466
Add armored hovercraft as a new vehicle. Problem solved.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard