Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
People have always maintained, even since the days of Vanilla-WoW, that the game begins at level 60/70/80. It's truth, really. In fact, Blizzard are making huge changes constantly (much to the annoyance and chagrin of the old-school 'elite') that is changing the nature of leveling from a tedious treadmill-journey into something more resembling a fluid and fast process that quickly establishes and develops your character. Personally, I enjoy leveling but the plain fact at the end of the day is that you'll spend 95% of your 'career' experiencing and enjoying the end-game content. Do not compare the endgame of WAR to WoW... WAR was a pitiful failure.

Sorry to go on this digression; when I see that several people have played 'x' thousand hours of Guild Wars, I really do think having played Guild Wars + WoW extensively myself that these people would really enjoy and get a lot out of playing the big, guilty and inescapable alternative.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6492|Austin, Texas
You didn't really answer my question, though. What is there to do once you reach the max level cap, in any similar MMO? I've never experienced the endgame of WoW (I've played a trial once or twice), but what exactly keeps you playing?

I don't find the run around and cast a bunch of spells thing exactly exhilarating. I don't know, maybe I'm just a FPS player at heart. It's not that I don't enjoy tactical type stuff - I just couldn't run around in the same character for a few thousand hours pressing 7,1,8,2,2,2,3,4. Maybe you can expand on the stuff available once in the endgame.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
Without trying to take it too off-topic... there's a myriad of things, but if the MMO as a genre doesn't keep you entertained, then that's that I suppose!

PvE raiding on several different scales and difficulties.
PvP combat in large-scale Battlegrounds.
Arena combat in smaller, more competitive Guild Wars style teams.
Various odds and ends - the in-game Achievement system, doing quests for bonus gold/story aspects, whatever.

I think in any MMO, even games that aren't strictly MMO's such as Guild Wars, you make your own entertainment and derive from it what you put in. Sometimes it's fun just to sit around and talk to your guild in chat for several hours whilst you do some menial farming-task or go on to check the auction-house/economy, or whilst you create some new items using one of your Professions. MMO's don't really provide you with the non-stop action and refreshingly-new gameplay stuff that FPS games with their high-reaction dynamism do.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium
You know, you reach level 20 pretty fast, and as Uzique said, just as in WOW, the game starts. At level 20 you usually are able to max out your attributes, have max armor, etc. The biggest part of any campaign is actually made for max levels..
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
I was level 20 in GW1 just a bit after leaving Lion's Gate.

What kept me going was finding all the Elite skills and mapping. Have a ridiculously tiny amount of mapping left to do, like .5%
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada

Uzique wrote:

People have always maintained, even since the days of Vanilla-WoW, that the game begins at level 60/70/80. It's truth, really. In fact, Blizzard are making huge changes constantly (much to the annoyance and chagrin of the old-school 'elite') that is changing the nature of leveling from a tedious treadmill-journey into something more resembling a fluid and fast process that quickly establishes and develops your character. Personally, I enjoy leveling but the plain fact at the end of the day is that you'll spend 95% of your 'career' experiencing and enjoying the end-game content. Do not compare the endgame of WAR to WoW... WAR was a pitiful failure.

Sorry to go on this digression; when I see that several people have played 'x' thousand hours of Guild Wars, I really do think having played Guild Wars + WoW extensively myself that these people would really enjoy and get a lot out of playing the big, guilty and inescapable alternative.
Isn't WoW leveling 95% grinding?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

DefCon-17 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

95% non-grinding, to be honest. Quests, instances and free XP ahoy.

Of all the misinformed things I have read on this Forum about WoW, that is probably one of the biggest noo-no's.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
In private servers you go from 1-60 from killing 10 monsters lololol
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

Uzique wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

95% non-grinding, to be honest. Quests, instances and free XP ahoy.

Of all the misinformed things I have read on this Forum about WoW, that is probably one of the biggest noo-no's.
Hmmm....So I could just do quests and still keep up with everyone else?
(Depending on time spent, of course.)
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
You could do quests and hit level 80 within a month of casual play.

As I said, Blizzard have changed the leveling system in WoW now so it's way more streamlined and progressive.

---> Guild Wars 2.
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6494|the Netherlands
looks awesome
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Looks like it could be epic ...

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I hope they improve network security.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
I never imagined that I would be playing Guild Wars 2 on such a grand scale.... I can't wait. Just cant wait to own this.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

that actually looks... good...
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
yeah it's a solid game but i hate the fact it's all instanced just for your party... will never be an MMORPG for me, a CORPG at best.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I expect it to be good for at least a couple hundred hours. I just don't want another account with a password like $7dfH91& hacked into because of some e-mail loophole.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516

Uzique wrote:

yeah it's a solid game but i hate the fact it's all instanced just for your party.
This is what made me lose interest in GW1. It made the world feel incredibly barren.

Also, the fact that the only equipment that dropped or mattered were useless weapons. The entire system is built around collecting massive amounts of resources and your only reward is making your character look expensive, but not gain any more power than if you were equipped with shit.

I'll admit that the skill system, PvP, events, scripting, etc were incredibly well done, but it wasn't enough to keep my interest for more than a few months.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Uzique wrote:

yeah it's a solid game but i hate the fact it's all instanced just for your party.
This is what made me lose interest in GW1. It made the world feel incredibly barren.

Also, the fact that the only equipment that dropped or mattered were useless weapons. The entire system is built around collecting massive amounts of resources and your only reward is making your character look expensive, but not gain any more power than if you were equipped with shit.

I'll admit that the skill system, PvP, events, scripting, etc were incredibly well done, but it wasn't enough to keep my interest for more than a few months.
the drop system is in place for balance.....guild wars was originally created as a PvP game and they didn't want equipment to dictate who was the better player in pvp play.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516

farmerfez wrote:

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Uzique wrote:

the drop system is in place for balance.....guild wars was originally created as a PvP game and they didn't want equipment to dictate who was the better player in pvp play.
I understand, and I think the PvP was really well balanced, but equipment is at the very least 50% of what makes an MMO fun IMO.

In Guild Wars, you had a polished, completely flexible PvP character maxed out within a week, and the rest of the game was a single player/co-op storyline with everything else existing purely for aesthetics.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That's kind of what I like about Guild Wars. You have an opportunity to produce a competitive character in a short amount of time and dive right into max level PVP. In the original campaign, you're sure to hit max level about three quarters through the campaign if you focus solely on the main quests. Further exploration and grinding just expands your skill base. The rest is for story and aesthetics, and GW gamers seem satisfied with that.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's kind of what I like about Guild Wars. You have an opportunity to produce a competitive character in a short amount of time and dive right into max level PVP. In the original campaign, you're sure to hit max level about three quarters through the campaign if you focus solely on the main quests. Further exploration and grinding just expands your skill base. The rest is for story and aesthetics, and GW gamers seem satisfied with that.
i prefer my games that purport to be 'MMORPG's to be 'games that keep on giving', sorta thing. that involves a certain element of time-treadmilling and grinding, yes. effort = reward in MMORPGS. in guild wars, you can just have the top-gear in about 2 weeks as well as a lvl20 character and then you're just 'stuck' doing pvp forever. the pvp system is fun and all but part of the driving motivation and 'enjoyment' of other MMO's, e.g. early-days world of warcraft, was that an exponential amount of time/effort investment would result in exponentially better gear/character than other competing players. it's part of the lure and attraction of these games. there's a lot to do and you can devote a lot of time into developing a character that really represents your skill, effort and dedication- all in one. guild wars just gives you an illusion of 'massive online' play with instanced worlds for tiny parties, and then a pvp system that is so obsessed with balance and fairness that nobody really distinguishes themselves from anyone.

'banal'
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6712

Hopefully this thing comes out in the next six months, so I don't start playing WoW.

The original guild wars is definitely my favorite game of all time, I didn't ever care that it was just my party of 8. Some great memories on it, and if they manage to improve on the original by huge amounts (like it looks like they've done), then this game should be phenomenal.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

Jestar wrote:

Hopefully this thing comes out in the next six months, so I don't start playing WoW.

The original guild wars is definitely my favorite game of all time, I didn't ever care that it was just my party of 8. Some great memories on it, and if they manage to improve on the original by huge amounts (like it looks like they've done), then this game should be phenomenal.
yeah I'd say its my second fav. after bf2.... but yeah very good game....

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
That looks....bad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard