CommieChipmunk
+488|6559|Portland, OR, USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_W … d_syndrome

http://ask.metafilter.com/59741/Sometim … ing-asleep

I was just curious if anyone else had ever experienced this...phenomena.  It usually happened to me when I was really tired as a little kid and hasn't really happened in years, but for some reason it happened last night.  Usually it starts with my internal voice getting really chatty, then really deep and loud and I lose control of it.  Then I feel like everything in my bedroom (since it only happens when I'm in bed trying to sleep) gets huge.  It's a really strange feeling, my cousin first asked me if I'd ever had it happen to me a few years ago in front of our parents; I said that I did but I thought it was a normal thing--our parents thought we were loosing it.

Apparently it's fairly common in children but people tend to grow out of it.  Has anyone here ever experienced it?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6526|Long Island, New York
Sounds like you've been Jimi Hendrix'ing it up since you were a boy.

That's odd though, can't say I've ever gotten it. I have had sleep paralysis though (or whatever it's called) and THAT is scary as fuck.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6559|Portland, OR, USA
It's much more trippy than anything THC induced that I've ever experienced
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5709|Gulf Coast

Wow, I actually have experienced this when I was young. It would happen when I was in bed trying to fall asleep too. I don't remember anything about the chatty voices but I definitely remember the weird felling of the room being very large all of a sudden. I always thought I was just really tired or something. It hasn't happened in a very long time though. That's really weird man, and to add to the weirdness(as if this wasn't weird enough) I just got done watching the trailer for this....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMkNrX60mA   which is what I thought this thread would be referring to.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6316|Australia
Yeah, thats happened to me. It seemed as if the ceiling above my bed was far away, but in reality if I stood up I would bump my head on it.
I just figured it was just what happened if you were falling asleep but were still "aware" - like a reverse sleep paralysis, if that makes sense. I didn't think there was a whole syndrome dedicated to it. :S
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6643

I've had that happen a few times, but like the article says, mainly when I'm falling asleep. I wouldn't really say it's a syndrome or anything, just a weird happenstance. I kinda like it though, the room begins to grow, the walls get taller, the ceiling gets higher, and I feel like I'm sinking into the cushy wonderfulness of my bed and falling asleep in the best way possible.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6141|what

I had it happen to me when I was little, but I grew out of it. Never had the chatty voices though, but it would happen when trying to fall asleep.

It always felt like I was the size of an ant and was shrinking faster and faster.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-08-24 23:45:20)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6452|cuntshitlake

Mildly maybe, since when I am tired sometimes distances seem distorted. Hasn't happened lately though.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5389
Not sure tbh.  I am cursed at being an extremely light sleeper.  In Afghanistan, I was awake for almost 5 days or so.  I finally fell asleep but it was only for about 3 hours.  When I woke up, I was all fucked up.  Didn't know where I was, who I was, couldn't focus my eyes, etc.  Dude in my platoon smacked me about 5 times and I was out of it.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6400|'Murka

Closest I've ever had to that was feeling like I was surrounded by whatever event I just left...people all in my room while I'm laying there trying to sleep.

Needless to say, didn't sleep well those nights.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6768|Great Brown North

Red Forman wrote:

Not sure tbh.  I am cursed at being an extremely light sleeper.  In Afghanistan, I was awake for almost 5 days or so.  I finally fell asleep but it was only for about 3 hours.  When I woke up, I was all fucked up.  Didn't know where I was, who I was, couldn't focus my eyes, etc.  Dude in my platoon smacked me about 5 times and I was out of it.
i've had that happen, though mine comes with hallucinations for a few minutes after i wake up...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard