Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5592

After his release from the service, Arias became addicted to methamphetamines and landed in jail.

Keaveney also believes Arias suffers from PTSD.

New Directions says there are more than 15,000 homeless vets in Los Angeles, the largest such population in the United States. Most of the vets are from the Vietnam War era. A small but growing number of veterans from Afghanistan and Iraq are starting to hit the streets.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/19/homele … index.html
So some of the vets here think that PTSD is a bullshit excuse used by some vets to get benefits or to be get out of trouble or do you think it's a legit problem within the community? Also does anyone else see a really bad problem with 15,000 homeless people wondering around with military skills and training in a place like LA?
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6660
PTSD is real...my mom's first husband was a Nam vet (and a medevac Huey pilot at that), and he had to wrap his legs with his sheets at night because he had violently fitful sleep at night.  He also had a lot of mental instability in his waking hours, too...it was definitely a contributing factor to them splitting up.  I know the guy, and he's gotten mostly over it, but he says he still has occasional flashbacks and it took over 20 years until he felt pretty normal.

However there are also probably plenty of cases where people simply turn to self-medication - i.e. drugs and/or alcohol - instead of seeking professional help for their issues related to PTSD, so they ultimately become an even bigger trainwreck than they were to begin with.  Soldiers who might have been borderline could get pushed over the edge if you throw in some addiction(s).
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6827
ptsd is obviously real, it's been documented as far back as ww1.

that said, it's not always easy to tell if someone really has it. diagnosing psychological illness is laughably arbitrary sometimes.

there's almost 100% chance at least some veterans are faking it for benefits.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard