chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Where do you host what you work on?

I use a few places, actually:
  1. Gibson (duh). A physical machine currently located in Texas with dual-dualcore amds, 16gbs of ram and some hds
  2. My computer. Runs a copy of XAMPP for local development.
  3. Slicehost. I use their "slices" (virtual servers) when I want a linux machine to tinker with. I also use their smaller setups for email hosting.

I really like Slicehost, but I am thinking of switching to Rackspace (formerly mosso) as their prices are quite a bit better.

For what I am paying 48$/mo. for from Slicehost (512mb, using about 3GB traffic total a month), I could get from RS for about  26$/mo.

I prefer to go with Virtual server systems because it gives me full control over what going on in my little corner of the system. If I want PHP5, I can have it. If I want it compiled a specific way, that's fine. It eliminates a LOT of headache that can start to crop up in shared hosting once you reach a certain point in your technical career.
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine
I don't have any real big projects yet that warrant a virtual/dedicated server, so I just have a normal webhost plan with HostGator.

And a local machine for development.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

chuyskywalker wrote:

Where do you host what you work on?
i may not fit into your definition; i'm working on a website, hosted [url]http://www.powweb.com/[url].
i think what you're talking about is beyond me at present. i'm sure the content i upload is unfettered, but i doubt i could run any old applications.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA
For shared hosting I like http://www.vervehosting.com/, but when I need a managed VPS then I use http://www.servint.net/.

Both companies have treated me and my companies very well over the years.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6619|Washington DC

I've been using www.fusednetwork.com (Canada) for my applications that need moderately strong performance ... I've found their tech support to give me just about whatever configuration I've wanted ... even on a shared system.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6322|uk

I have a VPS which mainly hosts my websites and mail. It used to be a slice over at Slicehost; but they are expensive, so I moved to CheapVPS.

For those not in the know, and care (its a nice read for us technical peeps) VASERV (CheapVPS's parent company) got hacked a few months ago, and at the time everything was a bit of a disaster; but they sorted everything out really quickly and I would still recommend them 100%. Yes it's cheap, and we all know that generally cheap !== good, but I know of no downtime in the last month, and my average ticket response time is < 60 minutes (usually within 10 mins). Anyway, I have backup MX records pointing to Google Apps and don't mind about my personal sites potentially being down for an hour or two.

Chuy: I had a 4 hour experience with Mosso, and it was the worst 4 hours of my life. Took 1 hour to activate my account, service was crap, then you have to manually email a ACCOUNT MANAGER to get your account cancelled... wtf.

Before Slicehost and CheapVPS, I was on shared hosting at Hostmonster. Eugh.

For a new website I'm working on, we need a cloud to guarantee us as much uptime as possible- and we're thinking of using VPS.net (part of the UK2 group).

Last edited by Titch2349 (2009-08-12 04:28:57)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I have a friend who lets me leech off his server in a hosting center.

If I'm doing a project I have to hand off when I'm when done I use Godaddy (main reason .net).

For mail I just use google apps.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-08-12 04:29:23)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Always have your hostings and your domain name separate (i.e. GoDaddy as your domain provider and then use whatever as your hosting).

Reason is so if either fails you don't have everything go down.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Harmor wrote:

Always have your hostings and your domain name separate (i.e. GoDaddy as your domain provider and then use whatever as your hosting).

yeah cause having a bunch of files only accessible by IP or having a URL that gives you a blank page is not that bad
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Harmor wrote:

That's just downright stupid. Really really really stupid. And utterly pointless.

Anyway.... Always wanted to look into Slicehost, but never had a reason to buy one of their Slices. No big projects that don't have their own servers.

I currently use Dreamhost and I must say, their service is usually fantastic....

Now, I am saying that in a "balanced" view basis. Prices are very cheap (I got 2 years hosting for $9 on offer) and they have EVERYTHING you can want from shared hosting. Unlimited MySQL, SSH etc. On the other hand, the servers can fail occassionally (but they are usually up within an hour or so, and no major crashes since the last surge of customers). Their customer support is fantastic and they have dirt cheap SSL certificates ($15 for 256 AES encryption via Comodo).

I also have a dedicated server in Belgium that I can use whenever I want. I have no idea of the specs, but it's pretty fucking fast.

And of course I run a local server.

I think I may look into Slicehost in the future, just to make sure my sites are always up and are fast (dreamhost "can" be slow at times).
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine

Zimmer wrote:

Harmor wrote:

That's just downright stupid. Really really really stupid. And utterly pointless.
Well....I don't agree with his reasoning, but, my domains are hosted with GoDaddy and my hosting with HostGator. Reason being: GoDaddy has really cheap domains ($7.49 .com's), and HostGator has really expensive domains (like $15). I used to have GoDaddy hosting, but, it sucks balls.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

CrazeD wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Well....I don't agree with his reasoning, but, my domains are hosted with GoDaddy and my hosting with HostGator. Reason being: GoDaddy has really cheap domains ($7.49 .com's), and HostGator has really expensive domains (like $15). I used to have GoDaddy hosting, but, it sucks balls.
Usually once you purchase hosting, you get a free domain anyway.
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine

Zimmer wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Usually once you purchase hosting, you get a free domain anyway.
Perhaps A free domain. Singular. I have several domains.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Hosting services are resellers and have to buy their domains from another service.  As CrazeD noted his host, HostGator, charges $15 for domains while GoDaddy charges $7.49 for .coms.  GoDaddy sucks for hosting so that's another reason to keep your hosting and domain separate.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Harmor wrote:

Hosting services are resellers and have to buy their domains from another service.
The term is registrar

Harmor wrote:

GoDaddy sucks for hosting.
orly. what happened to you?

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-08-15 09:40:35)

CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine

jsnipy wrote:

Harmor wrote:

They way over sell their boxes for one. My web pages were always pretty slow, downloads were atrocious, and I can't fucking stand their control panel. It takes SOOO long to navigate, and takes forever for changes to take effect. At non-peak hours, I, and others, would only get like 1-200KB/s on downloads from my GoDaddy site.

HostGator, however, even during peak hours is nearly 800KB/s usually. They also use Cpanel, which is very easy and quick to navigate and changes are instantaneous.

Meh. Just my feelings.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

CrazeD wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Harmor wrote:

They way over sell their boxes for one. My web pages were always pretty slow, downloads were atrocious, and I can't fucking stand their control panel. It takes SOOO long to navigate, and takes forever for changes to take effect. At non-peak hours, I, and others, would only get like 1-200KB/s on downloads from my GoDaddy site.

HostGator, however, even during peak hours is nearly 800KB/s usually. They also use Cpanel, which is very easy and quick to navigate and changes are instantaneous.

Meh. Just my feelings.
^^this
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Anyway.... Always wanted to look into Slicehost, but never had a reason to buy one of their Slices. No big projects that don't have their own servers.

I currently use Dreamhost and I must say, their service is usually fantastic....

Now, I am saying that in a "balanced" view basis. Prices are very cheap (I got 2 years hosting for $9 on offer) and they have EVERYTHING you can want from shared hosting. Unlimited MySQL, SSH etc. On the other hand, the servers can fail occassionally (but they are usually up within an hour or so, and no major crashes since the last surge of customers). Their customer support is fantastic and they have dirt cheap SSL certificates ($15 for 256 AES encryption via Comodo).

I also have a dedicated server in Belgium that I can use whenever I want. I have no idea of the specs, but it's pretty fucking fast.

And of course I run a local server.

I think I may look into Slicehost in the future, just to make sure my sites are always up and are fast (dreamhost "can" be slow at times).
I'm EXACTLY the same....

run 3 domains on dreamhost... love the service... home server... and i got the free 1 year deal

It'll be a hard choice whether i want to renew it or not....
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard