RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

Hey Tech guys.

I'm having a video problem.
When I turn on the computer, I get no video.  Usually.

Steps:

Power on. Standard beeps, fans kick on, hard drive kicks on.  NO VIDEO.

Hold down power button to shut the computer off before it gets to loading windows

RETRY- Same result.

After about 5 tries, the video turns on fine.

Also, IF I turn it on, and get no video, BUT DO NOT RESET, The rest of the computer will run fine, and with no video, I will eventually hear the tell-tale sound of the windows Vista chime telling me it's ready for me to put my password in.  So I know the rest of the computer is running fine.

One other thing, if I leave my computer after I was using it (when it was working fine), and it shuts off the monitor, or goes into stand-by mode, upon resuming, the video will not return.

Thinking I had perhaps a bad driver, or bad bios, I took the ultimate route and flashed the BIOS -PROPERLY- and reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista and the latest graphics driver.  SAME PROBLEM.

This build is new this year, January I think, and it started about a month ago, with no issues previously.

Any ideas?

also:

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

AS it could be a number of things, can anyone suggest where to start.  I don't have any method of swapping and trying parts in a different computer, btw.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2009-08-06 11:44:46)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6385|Finland

reseat the video card, check gfx card power cable and monitor cable.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-08-06 11:46:55)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
couple of ideas.... maybe the card came loose?
                           power connector(s) to the card are secure?
                         run memtest to check the memory?  and make sure memory is seated properly
                  How many beeps on startup?
               will the screen work in safe mode?
  and check all the other connections from the psu to the motherboard and drives etc

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-08-06 11:50:01)

Love is the answer
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

well, the GPU  starts sometimes Im actually using this ^ computer right now to type this, I havent tried Safe mode, but since the video won't even show the BIOS screen, i don't think thats it.

One beep on start-up, the standard beep you hear on most computers.

lol, I never even tried reseating the card.  duh.

memtest is on the to-do list, thanks for the idea.

I will turn off and check if power connecters are secure.  I am pretty sure the PSU can handle the power, too (at least I hope it will, freakin should!)

I guess I will also just turn this off and unplug everything, and replug everything in.

One last thing, this card has been a wild piece of crap since day one (check EVGA forums if you are curious) so, I have a fear that this card is just plain junk, but I am hoping against it right now.

Well, I better power off and get cracking.

PLEASE post any other ideas while Im offline.

Thanks for the help.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6110|New Jersey
Well you took all the rights steps - flashed BIOS, reinstalled drivers, reformat - so good on you.  If it still doesn't work after you try reseating the card and plugging everything back in, I think it's almost definitely a failing video card.

I hesitate to suggest that it might be the monitor, but it's worth looking into - just try with a different monitor or even an LCD TV if you don't have another monitor.

Also, maybe try hooking the monitor up to the other DVI port on your 9800 (I assume it has two).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard