Poll

Should I get Empire: Total War?

Yes84%84% - 16
No15%15% - 3
Total: 19
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5772|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
I like Strategy Games, and it looked fun in youtube videos.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6451|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

yes, it's fun; the only thing i dislike is waiting for the other empires to take their turns after you finish yours

even when you fast forward it, it still takes a while for all of them
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6807
yeah I heard its good but its somewhat different form the other Empire total war games if u played them before, not visually but strategy wise.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6451|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

blademaster wrote:

yeah I heard its good but its somewhat different form the other Empire total war games if u played them before, not visually but strategy wise.
guns (typically) > swords

especially post-fire by rank and bayonets and such
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
nickb64
I watched a bunch of multiplayer videos by this one guy, and it looked pretty epic, do a lot of people play multiplayer?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6807

cowami wrote:

blademaster wrote:

guns (typically) > swords

especially post-fire by rank and bayonets and such
was not referring to guns or swords, but yeah medieval or Roman times and Barbaric times > Guns
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6807

nickb64 wrote:

I watched a bunch of multiplayer videos by this one guy, and it looked pretty epic, do a lot of people play multiplayer?
who? princeofMacedon? if it was on youtube
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6941|Great Brown North
everyone hates me

...everyone that's left alive that is

yes get it, it's epic
nickb64

blademaster wrote:

nickb64 wrote:

who? princeofMacedon? if it was on youtube
i think so...

he seemed pretty good, almost too good, like he had planned some with his opponents...
GR34
+215|6707|ALBERTA> CANADA
Do It Faggot
nickb64
I don't know how well my computer will run it right now, but I think I'm going to get the new one I've been planning in a few months, so I'll probably wait till then or something.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6871|England. Stoke
It wasn't as good as I hoped it might be, especially with all the bug that were present in the initial release (and in a way I think this has put me off playing it as much as I should have done), but if you like strategy games it's definitely worth getting.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6269|Birmingham, UK
I was also looking at it.

I had Rome and i've still got Medieval 2
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6314|what

The MP support is a huge let down.

No chat lobby, etc.

Rome TW had a better MP system than the steam Empire MP.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GR34
+215|6707|ALBERTA> CANADA
If they would add multilayer campaign it would rock
nickb64
I really want to get it now, but my comp freezes trying to load the demo. (freezes on the copyright page)
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6805|England
It really depends.

The past 3 Total War games have all been amazing, if you really want to start with Empire then by all means do so but check out Medieval 2 Total War first maybe.

If you're buying it legitimetly (oh wait, I'm on the internet) it'll be at a bargain price and should aquaint you with the battle system very well. I love M2TW, perhaps more than Empire....

Still, perhaps historical timeperiod will appeal to you more, in which case check out Rome too.

good luck!
nickb64
friend has medieval :total war and Rome: total war, they were good, but the 18th century time period is cooler imo
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6630
Medieval 2 > Rome >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Empire.

Game is very buggy, and there is much less strategy too the battles than Rome or Medieval. While the turn based game is better, the battles are just so shit it's unbelievable.

A total letdown, I loved all the other Total War games. I think it's just the setting, not very many cool or unique units, all the factions are near identical, artillery is too strong and ubiquitous, and worst of all, hardly any cool massive melees.

They took the best things about the battles from the previous games and replaced it with guys pumping long wooden shafts. Because that's all it is. You can get the same effect (abiet, less homoerotic) from playing Medieval 2 with only the gunpower units.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2009-08-05 21:08:07)

nickb64
I plan to try to play online with friends(Including the one who owns Medieval/Rome) for the most part, does that work pretty good?

I probably won't do a ton of campaign, but multiplayer looks good in youtube vids...

Last edited by nickb64 (2009-08-05 21:20:05)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6314|what

I agree doc, most of the battles now are just camp fests with everyone sitting back with artillery or mortars.

And all the maps are unbalanced. Too many times the maps have one hill side A nail themselves to with side B always getting slaughtered.

And it removed my favourite strategy I'd always employ in Rome and Medieval (1/2) of Buffalo horns. I had some epic battles in Rome though, I think it was better than Medieval 2.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-08-05 21:33:49)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6843|Disaster Free Zone
On the surface its a good game but I lost interest way too quickly.

I played the large campaign with (arguably) the hardest nation on hard/hard and finished in less then 1/5 the time allocated. As been said before theres hardly any strategy it's mostly about just having superior numbers because the factions are near identical and thus you lose all the different tactics used in Rome.

The turn based campaign has some nice new additions but it's also been simplified tons with no need for standing armies in cities, mass troop training and more money then you know what to do with. The battles are all about superior numbers or better technology not really about tactics which makes them somewhat boring, and less enticing to play as a different faction because it's just more of the same with a different coloured flag.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6630

nickb64 wrote:

I plan to try to play online with friends(Including the one who owns Medieval/Rome) for the most part, does that work pretty good?

I probably won't do a ton of campaign, but multiplayer looks good in youtube vids...
I've never played the online myself. But one of my friends, the one who would talk about this game ever day before it came out and actually liked the single-player game, hated the MP. He said (and my limited expereince can attest to it) that in MP everyone just makes a bunch of fucking cannons and shit and wait for you to attack. He said that MP just boils down to who gets bored and attacks first, and the other guy ussually wins.

Although if you're playing with friends then they probably have a good bit more honor than the regular asshole online, but the MP is still probably the worst part of a bad game.

Just get Medieval 2, it's so much more fun, less buggy and allot cheaper.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard