HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5455|Bolingbrook, Illinois
So, I want to buy a headset.  I was thinking the G35 would be good, but it's a USB plug-in.  That means it wouldn't use my sound card, which is a bad thing, right?  My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1, which I got purely for Battlefield 2 to use the Ultra High sound quality.

I still want to use the Ultra High sound quality, but would Battlefield 2 still play sounds in Ultra High quality even if I used USB headphones?

Thanks.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

my experience- soundcard>usb. i have logitech's that came with a usb adapter, meaning they have the 1/8th inch inputs that will plug into the adapter.

trying them both ways, sometimes ventrilo sounded messed up to everyone else with usb, then i'd plug them into the sc and it'd be fine.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

It is my understanding that when you use a usb headset, you are not using your soundcard, rather some sound emulation which is more processor intensive.

I tried both in the past, and i enjoy with the x-fi much better.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-07-27 17:20:15)

HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

It is my understanding that when you use a usb headset, you are not using your soundcard, rather some sound emulation which is more processor intensive.
This is what I thought, but wouldn't that be a bad thing?
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Not really, like everything else there are trade offs. With sound, its all about your perception. I would imagine one some system it could affect frame rate slightly.
HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Not really, like everything else there are trade offs. With sound, its all about your perception. I would imagine one some system it could affect frame rate slightly.
Oh, I was talking about which would provide better sound quality.  Not about which one put down a bigger performance hit.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6688|Riva, MD
What kind does the X-Fi take anyway.  Does it take one of those headsets where the mic and sound are one plug or can it take just a mic?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6662|Devon, England

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Oh, I was talking about which would provide better sound quality.  Not about which one put down a bigger performance hit.
I would have thought the soundcard inputs would provide better quality that a USB connection, unless the soundcard processes audio data to and from USB ports, too.

I'd say stick the old green and pink.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

FFLink wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

I would have thought the soundcard inputs would provide better quality that a USB connection, unless the soundcard processes audio data to and from USB ports, too.

Two One in the pink, one in the green?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6662|Devon, England

ghettoperson wrote:

FFLink wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Dunno what kind of girls you've been with to get that kind of reference...

.. Green..?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6688|Riva, MD

FFLink wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Dunno what kind of girls you've been with to get that kind of reference...

.. Green..?
A vegetarian/vegen with diarrhea perhaps
aimless
+166|6096|Texas

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Yeah. I used to have a logitech usb headset that would always lag in bf2 even with sound quality set to low.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6110|New Jersey
I used to have a Tritton AXPC headset that was USB, and it didn't cause any problems.  Of course, if you have a sound card, you will get better sound quality from a headset that uses the sound card.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
there can be lots of issues with USB headsets. I wouldn't...
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard