Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
https://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/7830/header.jpg?t=1248389989
One of the 3 Steam weekend deals this week is a WWII strategy game called Men of War. The reviews all say that it's an unpolished and difficult, but brilliant game that has a great, very varied campaign that's very long, is very strategic, and is very deep. It has a Metacritic score of 80, marked down for the difficulty and lack of polish basically.

Here's a quote from the Gamespot review.

From the direct-control feature to the lovingly replicated historical vehicles, Men of War is full of well-crafted details that should make it especially appealing to history buffs. The steep learning curve alone will be enough to keep some players from enjoying everything that Men of War has to offer, but the reward for perseverance is a WWII campaign experience like no other game on the market.
So yeah. This weekend it's £6.75 on Steam and i have to say i'm tempted. I'd never even heard of it before. The demo was fun (controlling the tank was great) and yeah. Anyone have it?

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-07-25 10:55:33)

Longbow
+163|6656|Odessa, Ukraine
Yes I played it's early versions, it is originaly called "Behind frontline" in russian. First part of game was released in EU/USA under name "Soldiers: Heroes of WWII" and second one - under name "Faces of War". "Men of war" is huge add-on for "Faces of War" featuring Greece and North-African campains.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6718|England. Stoke
I have it and it is really good, would agree with the comments about the learning curve I've been stuck on a couple of missions on the Russian campaign for a while now, and it can get a little frustrating, but the key is to just keep trying or start another campaign (there is a Russian, Allied and a Nazi one). Another niggle is that the troops run out of ammo so quickly that you end up spending ages trying to find more ammo/new weapons for them, and half the time they get cut down in the process.
The best elements of the game are definately in the direct control of the tanks and AT guns etc.

For a price of £6.75 I would say it was well worth it.
bogo24dk
+26|6515
The game is awesome get it. You would not regret it.
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6470
Playing it now atm, the worst part of the game is the voice acting in cutscenes... the rest is great.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
warman has it
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6353

FatherTed wrote:

warman has it
The least he can do to be ready for war, i assume?
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Machine_Madness
Madness has now come over me
+20|6446|Brisbane, Australia
I got it last night. Its actually pretty good. Similar to say, company of heroes but more slow paced and tactical in a a realism sense. It is hard though.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
Yeah I bought it too . Downloading at the moment. Looking foward to this campaign i've been hearing about, and looking foward to having to retry missions many times .
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6718|England. Stoke

Machine_Madness wrote:

I got it last night. Its actually pretty good. Similar to say, company of heroes but more slow paced and tactical in a a realism sense. It is hard though.
Yeah if anything I would say this game is like a cross between CoH and Close Combat (awesomeness). Sure there are a few things that could of done with a little more polish, such as the voice acting. But the imo the graphics are pretty good, the game play is sound and if you are a fan of proper strategy/tactical games, or WW2 this game is well worth the small outlay...
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6008|Vortex Ring State
Reviving this shit cause it's on sale again...

Great game, I'd recommend getting it, it's a steal at just $3.79 or whatever.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
I never got past the dock level in the expansion. I tried it repeatedly but it was just too hard. All my guys got wiped out while trying to move inland. The main problem was the mortar nest. So i've not played most of it which is a shame. I'll have to give it another shot.

But i really enjoyed the campaign of the original. Driving the tanks was good fun and there was a constant feeling that you're going to lose on the big battles too. I'll have to install the expansion again and see if I can do that level.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2010-10-13 00:17:04)

Trotskygrad
бля
it's pretty easy for me, considering that I used to play frontline: field of thunder, which is an epically rage-inducing game by another realism-crazed russian developer.

God, if you rush in that game, you get your ass blown up within 30 seconds...

trick is to STAY out of range of enemy artillery, and push fast and keep moving when you do push.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6353
In war, no one wins.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля

Sisco wrote:

In war, no one wins.
?

heavy losses can be expected in this game
Trotskygrad
бля

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I never got past the dock level in the expansion. I tried it repeatedly but it was just too hard. All my guys got wiped out while trying to move inland. The main problem was the mortar nest. So i've not played most of it which is a shame. I'll have to give it another shot.

But i really enjoyed the campaign of the original. Driving the tanks was good fun and there was a constant feeling that you're going to lose on the big battles too. I'll have to install the expansion again and see if I can do that level.
bumpity bump for 2 things

#1: The beta for Men of War: Assault Squad has been out for a while, it's free, so you should try it if you haven't already (and if you think you miht want to try, ofc)

#2: @Yoda on that mission, it's all about keeping your sniper alive.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
I might reinstall it again and give it another go. I really enjoyed the first game and so I was quite sad that I had to stop the expansion campaign on the second mission.
Trotskygrad
бля

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I might reinstall it again and give it another go. I really enjoyed the first game and so I was quite sad that I had to stop the expansion campaign on the second mission.
play it while screensharing with me and I'll give you tips on how I beat it, conversely I can upload a save...

we should play co-op some time
Pure_Beef_68
Pure_beef_69 -1
+20|5963
Does anybody play this still?! It's a great game... I'm Purest_beef in-game.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
I've never played it online. Enjoyed the singleplayer quite a lot though.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6449|Brisbane, Australia

I have been playing MoW: Assault Squad with a mate and it has been pretty fun. Playing it on easy because this game is haaaard. The co-op campaigns are pretty fun (at least the first time), they are pretty similar though.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

I have it but it runs waaaaaay too slow on any of my PC's.
Trotskygrad
бля

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

I have been playing MoW: Assault Squad with a mate and it has been pretty fun. Playing it on easy because this game is haaaard. The co-op campaigns are pretty fun (at least the first time), they are pretty similar though.
I still play this game. hahaha (my sig anyone?)

anyways, I also play MoW;AS, always looking for good skirmish partners (cause otherwise no one shares units)

the trick to winning skirmishes is to spam the elite infantry (Rangers, SNLF, Panzergrenadiers, SAS)... they are capable of taking on anything given that they have proper cover, and rape infantry (be sure to equip them with MGs (preferably MG42). Even if their halftrack blows up (on easy) enough of the squad will survive to take on tanks and infantry.

also you'll almost always be outgunned by enemy tanks (they'll usually spawn TDs like the hetzer), don't waste RP on tanks that you know are inferior.

be prepared for the retaliatory waves that spawn after capping points...

pretty much all the tips.

oh and prioritize capping the arty point, arty is great for softening up cps before infantry.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6449|Brisbane, Australia

Yeh, we have played it more since that post and have pretty much figured those exact things out. Mortars are really useful for taking out AT guns and generally softening up points. AT guns are also fantastic. Often it seems like tanks are the worst use of your manpower - AT guns and armoured cars seem to be much more effective for a similar cost.

Aforementioned elite infantry are indeed awesome. They just kill everything.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Trotskygrad
бля

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Yeh, we have played it more since that post and have pretty much figured those exact things out. Mortars are really useful for taking out AT guns and generally softening up points. AT guns are also fantastic. Often it seems like tanks are the worst use of your manpower - AT guns and armoured cars seem to be much more effective for a similar cost.

Aforementioned elite infantry are indeed awesome. They just kill everything.
AT guns are great until they get hit until by an AT round. Skirmish reinforcements don't include heavy AT guns, so you're better off stealing the enemy's on the later points.

Armored cars are great at infantry clean up too bad they take one round from an AT weapon (even a molotov) and it's all over... Although I have taken out light/medium AT guns with the armored car by spamming 20mms through the gun shields in direct control.

Heavy guns just have too much range, I'm a smoking wreck by the time I get in range.

Oh and last protip... use your special ability (air strike and airborne troops (suicide drops ftw) for Americans, Arty strike for the Brits, Soviets, Japs, and Germans have sucky special abilities) to take out the enemy artillery before you get in range... that arty will track your tanks and rape those elites by incapping them every barrage

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2011-05-22 17:06:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard