Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Well this was rather unexpected. Here's the kotaku link that linked me to the interview, and here's the interview itself.

Here's the quote:
One of the areas that I am super interested in right now is how we can do financing from the community. So right now, what typically happens is you have this budget - it needs to be huge, it has to be $10m - $30m, and it has to be all available at the beginning of the project. There's a huge amount of risk associated with those dollars and decisions have to be incredibly conservative.

What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I'll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I'll also get a copy of that game.'

So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer… Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like.
Well I don't know about you guys, but given Valve's track record I wouldn't hesitate to invest some money in them given the chance. Thoughts?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

And if it's a shit game you lose everything.

tbh I'd rather see corporate logo's than public funding for games.

*Pulls out his Coca-Cola m16 and fires his Sony Bullets
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
Sounds interesting...

I assume the people who participated in that would get beta access and such?
..or would it just be, "Thanks for the money. Now you gotta wait for us to actually finish the game. Sucker."

Edit: Scratch my last two lines. I can't read.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-07-20 11:21:07)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

It is an interesting idea, having people invest in a production instead of investing in a company. I'm not quite sure exactly how it will be structured but I hope a trial of this goes ahead so I can get some idea.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

there is no accountability in this model
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6409|Brisbane, Australia

Whats to stop you investing, then them releasing some game with 4 maps and 2 game modes for $80 (cough L4D).
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Bratwurstschnecke
+77|6646|respawn screen
There are good ideas about new games around but think about it, invest in Duke Nukem Forever or Starcraft 2? How long did it Valve take to make TF2? Wasn't it 7 years from idea to release?

It can be a good idea in some cases but it might be not in others and it can be a longterm investment. You might not even be alive or interested in games when you finally get your ROI.

I'd waste my money somewhere else and buy the games in the shop when they are out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard