menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6443|Amsterdam‫
Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 Formula 1 world champion John Surtees, has died following an accident in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch on Sunday.

During the second of the weekend's races, the 18-year-old was struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, who had spun into the wall exiting Westfield Bend.

Surtees was knocked unconscious in the accident and his car failed to negotiate the following Sheene Corner, running straight off the track and into the barrier.

Medical crews were swiftly on the scene to extract Surtees from the car, before he was taken to the track's medical centre. He was stabilised at the circuit's facility before being airlifted to the Royal London hospital.

A spokesperson for the hospital this evening confirmed that Surtees had died from his injuries.

Surtees graduated to F2 this season from Formula Renault and had taken his first podium finish in the series with third place in Saturday's race at Brands Hatch.

His step up to the category came after several seasons in karts, which included victory in the Junior Gearbox Championship in 2005, before a graduation to car racing in the Ginetta Junior Championship in 2006.

He switched to single seaters in 2007, taking a race victory in Formula BMW UK for Carlin Motorsport en route to seventh overall in the standings - and second in the rookie cup.

He also made a brief foray into the Formula Renault UK championship that year, contesting the final two rounds at Thruxton as well as the Winter Series.

In 2008 he remained in Formula Renault, taking 12th in the final standings before finishing runner-up in the Winter Series with one victory and three podiums from four races. He also contested last year's British Formula 3 season finale in a National Class car for Carlin, taking one victory and one podium.

AUTOSPORT sends its sincere condolences to Henry's family and friends.
RIP, they know their job is dangerous. a waste of a life

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Kez
+778|5700|London, UK
Holy shit that could not have been worser timing

RIP
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Yeah I heard about this, the video is just....man, how unlucky can someone be. Only 18 years old too. Makes you think how his family must be feeling, especially his dad. And also that other driver who crashed into the wall that set the wheel off flying. He's gotta live with the fact that his crash inadvertently killed someone else..

That doesn't look like much, but at those speeds, a tyre to the head, even with a helmet, there's not much you can do to survive that. It would've been one hell of a whack to the head.

Man watching that shit is depressing...

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-19 15:22:43)

Red Forman
Banned
+402|5398
Wow that was nuts.  RIP.  At least it was fast.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6323|England
I don't get what happened in the video? He just crashed into the barrier. How did that kill him? I've read the article, but the video doesn't show the crash with the other car.

Also, RIP
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England

JakAttaK wrote:

I don't get what happened in the video? He just crashed into the barrier. How did that kill him? I've read the article, but the video doesn't show the crash with the other car.

Also, RIP
When that first car crashed into the wall after sliding out of the corner, his tyre went flying off into the track. Surtees' head smacks right into the tyre at whatever speed he was going at and it knocks him out cold which is why his car flies off the course afterwards. It was the initial blow to the head that did the damage as he later died in hospital.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8158445.stm
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6630

Same way Senna died. After that in Formula 1, the wheels were secured to the car in case of another incident like his. WHY have they not done this for Formula 2?

So sad
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6323|England

Mekstizzle wrote:

JakAttaK wrote:

Also, RIP
When that first car crashed into the wall after sliding out of the corner, his tyre went flying off into the track. Surtees' head smacks right into the tyre at whatever speed he was going at and it knocks him out cold which is why his car flies off the course afterwards. It was the initial blow to the head that did the damage as he later died in hospital.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8158445.stm
Now you've pointed it out, I saw it. Shit thats bad

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard