GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ
Right now I have a Honda shadow 750cc and am looking at sport bikes

I've driven the Suzuki GSXR 1000 and found it was way too responsive and fast for the weight of the bike

I also drove a 2008 Hayabusa and a 2005 Hayabusa. The 2008 was too expencive and the 2005 was in the care of somebody i didn't think treated it well

for the busa being a 1300+ cc bike it was extremely comfortable and a very easy ride and I felt like I was in contro

But I just have the feeling that the Hayabusa shouldn't be my first sport bike, I feel like I should start with something like a GSXR 600 but the Hayabusa is only $500 more and you get a lot more from it and I would want to eventually own one anyway because it's a bike I feel I could take on long road trips wheras the 600 seems like a short range bike

I also find people that own hayabusa's know their shit and respect the power and don't do dumb shit on them unlike the GSXR 600/1000   I never have seen any damage from a drop or collision on a Hayabusa  but it's HARD to find a GSXR in immaculate condition

Anyone have thoughts on this situation? Personal experience?

I would love to test ride a lot of bikes but I'm dealing with used and don't want to waste peoples time.

My background: I have been riding on motorcycles and atvs on and off since I was little and consider myself a responsible, capable strong rider who never rides outside of his skill level and I'm not going to be that dumbass doing wheelies in between cars.
13rin
+977|6479

GodFather wrote:

Anyone have thoughts on this situation? Personal experience?
Got a HD V-Rod MUSCLE
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 9#p2615149

Hmmm.. I'd go for at least a 750. You're going to get bored quick on a 600.  Suziki makes a hell of a 750 (GSXR).

*edit:

For my first bike I rode a HD Nightster.  I figured, what the hell -there's a chance I'll die on it so I'll at least ride the bike I like to begin with... Get the Hybusa.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2009-07-17 13:26:37)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5815|Fattest Country in the world.
Try looking at a Honda CBR 900+, fantastic bikes, look great, ride great, much better start then taking the leap onto a Hyabusa. Just my own experience/opinion.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6252|England
You could try the VFR800 great bike i rode one down to Jerez gp from the UK & I loved it, it is more of a sports cruiser btw, I also have a R6 awesome bike & an absolute hoot to ride might be a bit scary for you but is brilliant fun.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ
Good points all...

I have heard that between the 1000's and 600's don't have all that much difference as far as speed - just the 1000's are better for long rides
Somebody told me that on their 600 GSXR they *only* took it up to 145

I mean speed is a plus and it's really fun to crank it out on the freeway with no one around but that's not why I want a sport bike, I want a bike that will do what I want it to do, like really fast turns and a good accelleration after 60+ MPH (my bike isn't very responsive after 60) and some room for me to get under the slipstream or whatever, my bike just isn't aerodynamic and I started to hate the sit up only position and started to love the forward sitting position found only on sport bikes...

I'll start checking out the Suzuki GSXR 750's

Another general question: How do the CBR's compare to the GSXR's? I like the look of the Suzukis over the Hondas and I also heard (not reputable source) that the GSXR's perform better than the CBR's
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6252|England
why not go for the YZF R1 so quick it really is my Brother has one lovely bike easy up to 180mph+. but like i said take an YZF R6 for a test ride. I has this one. Go for the black.
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/smuder201/r6.jpg
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/ … ew=colours
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
Start with a nice sized honda, the CBR 600 or something. Nice sized engine, comfortable, reliable, easy to ride.

I don't get why people instantly want to get faster and faster bikes . Over here, thats how kids wind up off cliffs and smashed into walls.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Just get an 250SXF and you'll be sorted. Plenty of power and general radness.
GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ

FatherTed wrote:

Start with a nice sized honda, the CBR 600 or something. Nice sized engine, comfortable, reliable, easy to ride.

I don't get why people instantly want to get faster and faster bikes . Over here, thats how kids wind up off cliffs and smashed into walls.
It's really not the power, it's what comes with the power...  With freeway speeds in az it sounds like my engine will blow up at any second (it won't but it's annoying) and if a busa tops at 180 that means plenty of spare RPM's which is never a bad thing - and it would be nice for a drive to California... I would never take my bike to California it would be a total bitch - and I would probably not take a small bike like a 600 on that trip either

Really though, you have to sit on a Busa until you get it    But that's okay I'm not shuttig all other options out

I like the Yamahas but I don't have any good shops with any type of Yamaha where I live, it's mainly Suzuki, Honda, Ducati & BMW but the last two are out of the question I don't want an over priced bike
LT.Victim
+1,175|6563|British Columbia, Canada
I use to work for Suzuki. I've ridden all their bikes and toys.

I'd go with the GSXR 750. You'll get bored of the 600's power, and the 750 only weighs 5 more pounds then the 600.

The 1000 is nice, you get duel exhaust, and you will honestly never need more power then that unless you feel like dying.

Don't get the hayabusa, its huge, you'll never use the power, and it weighs 150 pounds more then the 750, which is a lot. With the clutch out on that bike giving it no gas I was already doing over 20 KMH... I haven't really looked how fast i've gone on other bikes, but that seemed kinda excessive.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6563|British Columbia, Canada
And about wasting peoples time test riding. Don't even worry about it.

You don't even have to "pretend" to wanting to buy it. Just go in there, ask a salesman if you can test ride the bike, and they'll set you up with a plate, you'll sign some papers, and you'll be on your way. They'll even lend you a helmet.

If its a good dealership they should have a bike of each kind that are designated as "demo" bikes for this very purpose.

Last edited by LT.Victim (2009-07-17 18:30:39)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6716
whatever bike you get... ride it and always look out for other people in cars to do dumb things...They will never cease to suprise you.
I have kicked more than a few passenger and driver doors when they just switch lanes without looking... Also never get complacent when you ride... Be confident but stay focused...   750 is a good size... and when a 750 starts to feel slow... then trade it in for a 1000+ cc's
Love is the answer
GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ

LT.Victim wrote:

I use to work for Suzuki. I've ridden all their bikes and toys.

I'd go with the GSXR 750. You'll get bored of the 600's power, and the 750 only weighs 5 more pounds then the 600.

The 1000 is nice, you get duel exhaust, and you will honestly never need more power then that unless you feel like dying.

Don't get the hayabusa, its huge, you'll never use the power, and it weighs 150 pounds more then the 750, which is a lot. With the clutch out on that bike giving it no gas I was already doing over 20 KMH... I haven't really looked how fast i've gone on other bikes, but that seemed kinda excessive.
Well thanks man, you probably helped me avoid some disappointment... Ill cut the 600 from my list and replace it with the 750.

Actually, I don't like the light bikes. I think my [url=

LT.Victim wrote:

You don't even have to "pretend" to wanting to buy it. Just go in there, ask a salesman if you can test ride the bike, and they'll set you up with a plate, you'll sign some papers, and you'll be on your way. They'll even lend you a helmet.

If its a good dealership they should have a bike of each kind that are designated as "demo" bikes for this very purpose.
]2002 Honda Shadow 750cc[/url] weighs just about as much as the Hayabusa @ 496lbs dry weight and I don't mind throwing around the weight, I ride my Shadow like my BMX bike Riding something that weighs like 350lbs or whatever it is going that fast just doesn't sound comfortable to me, and the Hayabusa is just as big as my current bike    I don't want to sound attached to it or anything, which I'm not (Because I keep defending it), but the weight isn't a problem. And that thing about no gas 20km/h is insane

I felt like it was easier to wind it up slower on the Hayabusa than on the GSX-R 1000. On the GSX-R 1000 I pulled in the clutch and revved it like a quarter inch and saw the RPM's shoot up to like 8,000 or something and I almost shit myself.

As far as never using the power, I probably wont - but do you find that the larger the engine the longer it lasts? I once read a rule of thumb of sorts as far as life expectancy on a sport bike or motorcycle in general (granted the bike is serviced well and on time and treated well) like a 600cc will last 60,000 miles, a 750cc will last 75,000 miles and a 1300cc will last 130,000 miles.

I also don't know if you read this but I was looking at an 06 GSXR 600 for 5,000 and then I was looking at on 05 Hayabusa (13,000 miles) for 5,500. It's almost like one of those questions, "Why not?"

LT.Victim wrote:

I'm not too sure about this, in my area I mean. My dad went to the Suzuki shop to look at bikes and ended up blindly buying a Suzuki Boulevard. They told him he could not test ride it. In all fairness though that was the last one in the shop and he probably made them seem like the douche bags even though he bought something on a whim that he never rode before...

You too have to understand that I'm only 18 years old and I look like I'm 16. Imagine someone looking 16 walking in and saying, "I would like to test ride your CBR 1000 please." what would you say?

Also, please don't say I'm too young for a sport bike - I started riding thinking that people that ride sports bikes are nuts for riding a "crotch rocket" but now I look at people that call Sport Bikes crotch rockets ignorant and I definitely wouldn't be looking at the seriously if I didn't think I couldn't handle it. I do not have a death wish, I don't want to seem cool for riding one, and I don't want to do wheelies down the freeway, and I don't want to endanger myself or others.

A question for you also, I don't like to see a digital speedometer. I like my gauges like I like my watches, analog. I just feel better seeing analog because you have a sense of where you are and how fast your REALLY going... Which bikes have that, and is it expensive/uncommon or even possible to have digital gauges swapped out for analog ones? I think I saw digital on the Yamaha's and maybe on the CBR's?

I know these are really long reads but thanks for helping me out guys, I am really trying to give you all the information in an organized manner so you can fully understand my situation/thoughts....

I know these are really long reads but thanks for helping me out guys, I am really trying to give you all the information in an organized manner so you can fully understand my situation/thoughts....
Hayabusa that I will be looking at on monday >   http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/1269727344.html

What signs of misuse should I be looking for? I know to take it into second gear or third gear and let the clutch out and let the bike bring its speed down and to listen for bad engine noises...

Last edited by GodFather (2009-07-17 21:20:08)

S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky
Dirt Bikes>Crotch Rockets
GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ

S3v3N wrote:

Yeah, because I can do 120mph on a dirt bike

also search my above post for crotch rockets and see what i have to say

Last edited by GodFather (2009-07-17 21:47:03)

Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5815|Fattest Country in the world.

GodFather wrote:

Another general question: How do the CBR's compare to the GSXR's? I like the look of the Suzukis over the Hondas and I also heard (not reputable source) that the GSXR's perform better than the CBR's
It's all about the rider and the riding style, not the bike. I've seen CBR's smoke GSXR's and vice versa. I suggest the CBR 900 or 1000 simply because everyone else has a Gixxer and because Honda > Suzuki.

Heck, CBR 250's are the fastest legal 250's on the market, they just get better as you move up the chain (I started on a CBR 250, as well as some other 250's and worked my way up.. If only we didnt have stupid Australian Laws).

Last edited by Zombie_Affair (2009-07-17 21:53:09)

GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ

Zombie_Affair wrote:

GodFather wrote:

It's all about the rider and the riding style, not the bike. I've seen CBR's smoke GSXR's and vice versa. I suggest the CBR 900 or 1000 simply because everyone else has a Gixxer and because Honda > Suzuki.

Heck, CBR 250's are the fastest legal 250's on the market, they just get better as you move up the chain (I started on a CBR 250, as well as some other 250's and worked my way up.. If only we didnt have stupid Australian Laws).
It's actually quite the opposite here, more people have CBR's than GSX-R's.

I don't really like the honda shop here either, each time I go there they arent very helpful...

I once took my bike in for service, I got it back and noticed an extreme lack of performance. It took about 30-40 seconds for the bike to go from 60mph - 70mph.  I told them that I was having issues and they basically said, "Nope, your wrong, your bike isn't doing that even though we haven't ridden it" - Then I made them test it again and the guy says, "Well we did find a FEW MINOR tight spots in your chain... But its an old chain, weve corrected the problems even though its not the problem." Got back on it and guess what, It rode fine. They told me that I would start experiencing problems in 400 miles or so and that I should get a new chain because mine is so "bad".   About 2000 miles later there are ZERO issues.

Then I went down to the Suzuki shop and found they were EXTREMELY helpful and even told me how the CBR's were better/different in different ways... The one guy even told me all these specifications and differences about all the different helmets they had including how long they were molded and with what materials - he even told me I would probably like the cheaper one because of what I was looking for, he never pressured me or anything. And this was all after I told him that I wasn't planning on buying a bike at his shop and I was looking for a used motorcycle...

All in all thats why I lean towards Suzuki. The guys at the Honda shop also told me a lot of incorrect things, "If your looking for mirrors go check out the Ducati shops, they have them for 20 bucks or so." I go to the Ducati shop, "Actually, we dont have ANY mirrors, except for this motorcycle, the mirrors are $300 if you want them."
Janis_Petke
\m/(><)\m/
+49|6693|Brunei Darussalam

I have GSXR750 and loving it! Give it a try
GodFather
+387|6220|Phoenix, AZ

Janis_Petke wrote:

What other bikes have you ridden and how do they compare? How fast have you cranked that bastard up to?
Janis_Petke
\m/(><)\m/
+49|6693|Brunei Darussalam

GodFather wrote:

Janis_Petke wrote:

What other bikes have you ridden and how do they compare? How fast have you cranked that bastard up to?
Started way back with Yamaha RD350LC, was a fun bike. Two stroke (yay for exhaust fumes ), killed many bigger bikes back then, but todays standards, too weak.
Next was Honda CBR600, nice bike! Good in pretty much everything, but not the best in anything. Most universal sportbike imo. Will get small in one year tho.

After this, i had a longish break from bikes, about 10 years maybe.

Started to have itches for getting bike again and went for Honda Revere 650, was cheap, reliable, but not a single bit of sport in it.
Got my confidence with bikes back again, and then was the time to go sport again. Early 90's CBR 900. Kinda heavy and butt ugly!! But did the job for time being. Never tried the newer version, so can't really compare.

Then came the GSXR750. Was love at the first sight! Beautiful, fit well for my height, everything were just where it should be, dimension wise.
Went for a test drive. Jizzed.

Has the power, handles well and wasn't too expensive. Deal was done at the end of the same week

Have tried some other bikes too, mostly dirtbikes and so on, can't really compare with sportbikes.

So, i suggest to you to try different bikes. The first one you try, might not be the best for you. Which fits well for some other dude, might not fit for you at all.

Good luck for the search!!

Oh and... I've went ~275 km/h with the Suzy, on a closed track ofcourse...
Had some power left and it should get 299 km/h on speedometer, but who needs to go that fast anyway?

Some p0rn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw64a_kS9-w
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Vespa scooter.

Do it faggot.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-07-18 04:27:53)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
i *might* be getting a honda 250. although i still want that aprilia
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

FatherTed wrote:

In this quote: Rich family.

In this post: a tinge of jealousy. Personally I don't want a crotch rocket. Rather a HD or something similar for just cruising around on.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

Flecco wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

In this quote: Rich family.

In this post: a tinge of jealousy. Personally I don't want a crotch rocket. Rather a HD or something similar for just cruising around on.
well yeh, but i'll fund it all myself. parents are pretty opposed to me getting a bike since most of the bike deaths in england occur about 10miles from my house lel
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky

GodFather wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

Yeah, because I can do 120mph on a dirt bike

also search my above post for crotch rockets and see what i have to say
Yeah, because I've had to scrape atleast 6 idiots off the highway when they did 120mph on their crotch rocket.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard