max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

Ouch, that sucks. Well my receiver decodes audio from my PS3 fine which is only connected via HDMI.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5683
https://i42.tinypic.com/11add8z.jpg

shitty pic sorry

37 inch samsung lcd
logitech z5500 speakers
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6199|Winland

That's why analogue receivers > all.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Ty wrote:

I, which is to say my folks have a Bose system, couldn't tell you the specifics 'cause I don't know. That's hooked up to a Panasonic projector which projects a 2m wide screen onto the wall. Again I don't know the specifics, I just know it's awesome and a major reason I haven't gone flatting yet.
Hope it's not a $1000 paper and foam set.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality
on behalf of Serial Butcher, that lean mean cow killing machine

http://www.bf2player.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6867
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

I've been eager to post my setup, now that I have my new audio system completely installed now.

It isn't a super-big, awesomely-specced screen like Kmarion's, but it's enough. I just can't afford anything better

Some pics coming up.

The whole contraption, my 24" screen (Packard Bell with some cheap-ish Samsung panel, 1920x1200, 1000:1, 5ms), my 17" secondary, which is completely irrelevant, my amps and stereo mid/treb speakers.

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/IMG_0125-4.jpg

Not much to say about that. It's obviously also my desktop. The screen can be angled down a couple of degrees, so that it's pointing a bit more straight toward my, er, "sofa:

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/IMG_0139-1.jpg

(Yes, I know my sheets are hilarious)
I do have a real sofa, a quite good, 100%-leather one, but it covers the half of the wall that the bed does not, and I'm too lazy to move it

Amplifiers and mids/trebs close-up:

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/IMG_0126-3.jpg

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/IMG_0131.jpg

The small black speakers are ripped from an old 40" CRT TV, and do a quite good job at pumping mids and trebs. 2.5" and a nice little spheric horn. They're about 15W each. Coupled with my 6" Tandberg mids (brown ones, obviously), they have quite some force in the 300Hz-16kHz area. I have to bump up the higher mids a bit, though, or they'll sound a bit metallic. But once the EQ is set, they won't budge for just any system.

The big amp is my pride, a Luxman M120A, the best amplifier I've ever owned. 2x120W or 1x300W bridged. >110dB SNR and <0.015%(!!) THD under full load, even slightly better under lower load. I currently run it bridged to power my 150W 12" Pioneer sub (pic lower down), with a low-pass filter on the input. I'm gonna buy a pair of good stereo speakers soon (150W, 12" woofers, 5.5" mids and 3" horns), to use the amp to it's full potential.

I know I should be running the trebs/mids with it, as it's far, far, far superior to the semi-crap Pioneer SA-330 that I currently run those with, with a measly SNR of about 85dB. The problem is that the Pioneer is no more than 60W/ch, and nowhere near good-enough to power my sub decently. I wish I could get my hands on another M120A, but they aren't exactly something you find in the supermarket. The Pioneer is at least a simple linear amplifier, so it doesn't have the issues that most smaller modern amps have with sound altering and such. What comes in comes out.

Here comes my sub, an old fighter that I've had for many years. It's one of Pioneer's top models from around 2000. I got it for free after one of dad's drunk friends punched a crack in it. Wasn't a hard fix, as it's a plastic cone, and it had no coil damage. Some duct tape and filler, and it's good as new. It's held up for 4-5 years, and I hope for it to keep doing so for at least as many more. 12", 4Ω, 150W RMS. 400W peak for a couple of ms. The box is closed and about 50L. I have it standing in there to get a little more directed bass. If I have it on the floor, I basically only get any sound in the corners.

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/IMG_0138.jpg

So yeah, that's my home theatre. It's more aimed at audio than video, as you might see. A big reason for that is that audio equipment is a lot easier to get for cheap than video. I haven't paid more than 30€ and a couple of hours of tinkering to get it working for all the audio stuff in this post. My 24", purchased when 24" displays weren't popular yet, was almost 500€ alone.

I hope you enjoyed the pics. +1 if you actually read through it all
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

Sweet
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
get some bass traps Freezer or make them yourself
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6634

.Sup wrote:

was that?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Nah, I don't really have issues as long as I keep the sub there. The only issue with acoustics I really have is my desk resonating at about 200Hz, but that's solved by putting some damping under the speakers.
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Nah, I don't really have issues as long as I keep the sub there. The only issue with acoustics I really have is my desk resonating at about 200Hz, but that's solved by putting some damping under the speakers.
Man I have big problems with acoustics, mainly cos of my door that is vibrating very bad at high volumes. Door and door handle. Have to put something over them and make a more firm installation of the doors.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Man I have big problems with acoustics, mainly cos of my door that is vibrating very bad at high volumes. Door and door handle. Have to put something over them and make a more firm installation of the doors.
I'm lucky enough to live in a concrete house. I have some wardrobes that vibrate, but they don't disturb as long as I keep them open.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6661|The darkside of Denver
Toshiba REGZA 1080p 42" LCD, Onkyo 606, Polk T90e three-way floorstanding loudspeakers LR, Klipsch Reference series RC-52 center, and the bad bad boy, the Def Tech SuperCube III sub. 
https://i41.tinypic.com/2v8l63s.jpg

Haha, talk about bad acoustics, see that shitty aluminum basement window?  It rattles fucking bad and very loudly.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2009-07-14 07:59:00)

.Sup
be nice
how much for the center speaker sonder?
SonderKommando

.Sup wrote:

It was like three something.  Getting matching LR floorstanders in one hour.. will post new pics!!
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

SonderKommando wrote:

.Sup wrote:

It was like three something.  Getting matching LR floorstanders in one hour.. will post new pics!!
That receiver is gonna be quite a bottleneck.
Chorcai
+49|6649|Ireland
I got that Philiips Ambi-light TV, S/S 5.1, all on HDMI, PS3 via HDMI & TOS-Link (to S/S), Sky HD.
SonderKommando

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

.Sup wrote:

You're crazy,  it sounds great.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

SonderKommando wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Yeah, it's not bad, got a similar one myself, but for those speakers, it's gonna be a bottleneck.
SonderKommando

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Yeah, it's not bad, got a similar one myself, but for those speakers, it's gonna be a bottleneck.
Not enough power?  This thing pumps all the latest audio formats (DD TrueHD/DTS Master Audio, the dealer from whom I have purchased all my equipment asserted it would be more than adequate.  I watched "Night at the Museum" with the wife last night and the Klipsch performance seemed flawless to me, it was better than going to a theater.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2009-07-15 18:13:10)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

SonderKommando wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Not enough power?  This thing pumps all the latest audio formats (DD TrueHD/DTS Master Audio, the dealer from whom I have purchased all my equipment asserted it would be more than adequate.  I watched "Night at the Museum" with the wife last night and the Klipsch performance seemed flawless to me, it was better than going to a theater.
It doesn't go much under 0.1% THD at any volume, with both channels driven. It's decent, but it is limiting your speakers.
SonderKommando

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

It doesn't go much under 0.1% THD at any volume, with both channels driven. It's decent, but it is limiting your speakers.
Hmm. Well itll have to do for now.  Thanks for the information Freezer. I plan on owning these for quite some time, so a new receiver isn't out of the question down the road.  They are more than adequate for my listening now though.
~{TPP}~richoxon
I Want a New Duck
+43|6569|Up a tree
i got a 55" samgsung series6 lcd tv , surround sound and bluray last saturday

first time i have ever seen a movie in bluray and its great

Last edited by ~{TPP}~richoxon (2009-07-16 10:51:07)

Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6686|West Yorkshire, U.K
PS3 = Media Centre System + Bang and Olufsen 40" LCD

Just need speakers.

Last edited by Kurazoo (2009-07-16 16:00:28)

xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6357|England - Kent

Marlboroman82 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

^ I bet the acoustics are good.

I'd love a home recording studio
it came with the house, i don't know what i am going to do with it.
Could you not rent it out?

/Money making ideas

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard