Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

DonFck wrote:

Your post is off topic. Please try to talk about the topic at hand. {quote}

See? One line of text wins over a whole wall of e-masturbation.
And reading the posts instead of sitting on your self-righteous throne works wonders too.

Discussing literature and easily-readable short stories in a topic that asks for easy, quickly readable stories isn't off topic. Aussie took the nature of the discourse into the realms of the completely irrelevant and pointless.

What I do see is that typing one line of text certainly greases your pole-of-self-satisfaction just as well as a wall of text supposedly does for mine.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6641|Finland

It certainly does. *splooge*
I need around tree fiddy.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6504|Sydney, Australia
It just means your curriculum is more traditional, perhaps excessively so. As a student of the English language, you should of all people understand the role that the visual medium has played in shaping the English language in a social and academic context, or at least be open to its adoption. (Or not, I don't get you Arts degree people). In our study of the Crime Fiction genre, we looked at traditional drawing room and noir novels; noir films and even Stoppard's satirical play The Real Inspector Hound. I'm sure you have your reservations about an English curriculum with intertextuality as one theme, but like you said, since you know nothing factual about our English course and can only make assumptions, then you are in no position to criticise. Again as an English scholar, you should know that.

Now, if all you meant was 'get moving, it isn't that hard', then I believe we have misunderstood one another. However, and this can't be the first time it has been said to you, your self righteous tone does make it difficult for others to interpret your comments.

And for Jenspm's sake, look into texts such as War of the Worlds, 1984 and Brave New World for a dystopic view of the future.
Chorcai
+49|6657|Ireland
/popcorn yum yum.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
In my experience literature types prefer to look backward than forward, anything sci-fi/futuristic/fantasy gets marked down.
Orwell and a few others just about get through, not much else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

Dilbert_X wrote:

In my experience literature types prefer to look backward than forward, anything sci-fi/futuristic/fantasy gets marked down.
Orwell and a few others just about get through, not much else.
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree there, you're quite massively overlooking a huge part of the Western canon. To state that 'literature types' look backwards instead of forwards is simply incorrect; I think what you are describing there is more so the habit of society and culture to be reactionary rather than revolutionary - even writers like Dickens, writing about very contemporaneous and relevant Victorian issues, were at first lambasted by the establishment and reviewers before eventually being accepted and loved by both the arts-elite and the public at large. Sci-fi and fantasy genres aren't automatically marked down... there's tons of great sci-fi and fantasy that has been instantaneously welcomed and applauded. There's a lot of trash in every genre, I just guess that sci-fi, fantasy and genres such as crime-fiction have been the 'in thing' for the last century or so, and so there's been a massive amount of crap surrounding every rare gem that is published.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6741|St. Andrews / Oslo

Hrm, what about reading and comparing 1984 and Animal Farm?

They both seem interesting and comparable and Orwell seems like one of those "must read sometime in your life" authors.

Or is all of this far too complex for a mere High School student?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

DonFck wrote:

See? One line of text wins over a whole wall of e-masturbation.
i love you
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX
ok, 1984 (George Orwell), Farenheit 451 (Ray Vonnegut, Jr.), Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)

Compare and contrast the futures hypothosized by these authors in regards to the political and sociological arenas.

EDIT:  Science fiction allows authors to play with extremes of human nature that no other genre can, and try to warn of possible outcomes.  They can allow us to think about topics that, in a modern setting, may be taboo or too close for us to observe objectively.  And some authors can get pretty scarily accurate.

Last edited by imortal (2009-07-13 13:31:52)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

imortal wrote:

ok, 1984 (George Orwell), Farenheit 451 (Ray Vonnegut, Jr.), Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)

Compare and contrast the futures hypothosized by these authors in regards to the political and sociological arenas.

EDIT:  Science fiction allows authors to play with extremes of human nature that no other genre can, and try to warn of possible outcomes.  They can allow us to think about topics that, in a modern setting, may be taboo or too close for us to observe objectively.  And some authors can get pretty scarily accurate.
Swap out Starship Troopers for Brave New World (some more academically credible sci-fi, of sorts) and you'll have yourself a good thesis.
Jenspm
penis

Uzique wrote:

imortal wrote:

Swap out Starship Troopers for Brave New World (some more academically credible sci-fi, of sorts) and you'll have yourself a good thesis.
Looks very interesting. I'm not at all a fan of Sci-Fi (I have read very little of it, though, so I don't have a lot to base this on), but I'll give this a try. I'll probably read one of them and see if I like it enough to carry on with the other two. Any one of them I should read first, to get an idea of the genre and how the others will be?

Thanks guys
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

Jenspm wrote:

Uzique wrote:

imortal wrote:

Looks very interesting. I'm not at all a fan of Sci-Fi (I have read very little of it, though, so I don't have a lot to base this on), but I'll give this a try. I'll probably read one of them and see if I like it enough to carry on with the other two. Any one of them I should read first, to get an idea of the genre and how the others will be?

Thanks guys
They're all fairly cliche dystopian novels; choose whatever grabs your interest first.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6333|New Haven, CT
Fahrenheit 451 was written by Ray Bradbury, not Ray Vonnegut (you were combining Ray Bradbury and Kirk Vonnegut, I presume.)
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
Haven't read Starship Troopers. Don't read 1984 first. Shit sci fi if I ever read any.

I would read The Worthing Saga in there somewhere instead/as well, though it doesn't fit so obviously into the thesis it definitely fits.

Uzique I'll paypal you $10 if you can make it through the next lit/poetry thread with <5 blatant name drops. User title counts.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6641|Finland

Since we're now talking sci-fi, what about "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick?

And no, I haven't read the book. Yes, I saw Blade Runner. Yes, I'm a lazy reader and a film fanatic.
I need around tree fiddy.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6683|Cardiff, Capital of Wales

Jenspm wrote:

So, I have a relatively large litterature project (3-4 books), and I really have no ideas on what to base it on. I'm supposed to have read these books during the summer vacation, so I kinda need to get my ass into gear.

It's a pretty "open" project, as long as it involves analyzing these books and comparing them.

As an example, here's my favorite from last year's students:  "Death in Childrens Litterature: how death is portrayed in childrens books" (read 4 books, compared)

As previously stated, it's a very open project, so I'm interested in all the ideas you have Preferably something that involves reading good/entertaining books.

Merci
Books bore the fuck outta me and I have read very few but why not try one nobody else will.

'The easy way to stop smoking - Dr Allen Carr'  he writes about the myth's involved in smoking.

Or football hooliganism books.

Last edited by 1927 (2009-07-14 02:08:13)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Haven't read Starship Troopers. Don't read 1984 first. Shit sci fi if I ever read any.

I would read The Worthing Saga in there somewhere instead/as well, though it doesn't fit so obviously into the thesis it definitely fits.

Uzique I'll paypal you $10 if you can make it through the next lit/poetry thread with <5 blatant name drops. User title counts.
I'm not contrivedly trying to name-drop anything or anyone; I'm only giving advice pertinent to Jen's needs and questions.

What the fuck do you want me to do, recommend a high-school student to read some esoteric academics-only text so that he can showoff to his teacher what an irrelevant smartarse he is? It's for high-school English class - Orwell, Huxley and Vonnegut are 'high-brow' compared to the pointless majority of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings projects that will no doubt be shat out by his classmates. I don't really need to prove or show off anything to you, do I? You're an absolute rastaquouere, a complete pseudo, and everyone that knows it. Self-admiring and precocious.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
Learn to express your thoughts in less than 1000 words.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Don't try War and Peace. I gave up after a few chapters. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jenspm
penis

Gawwad wrote:

It takes what? 15 seconds to read?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland

Jenspm wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

It takes what? 15 seconds to read?
Go!
Factually disprove what you said? How can I factually prove something about an education system I am not involved in? If your English assignments involve cross-references to TV and other insipid, worthless mediums, then I can only draw assumptive conclusions about the overall quality of the course. Factually, my own personal experience of my own countries' English curriculum leads me to believe that, by all purposes, it is more intensive and more geared towards actual academic analysis, rather than poor 'modern media'-type study.

As I see it, my initial contribution to this thread was stating, to put it simply, that a literature project involving 3-4 books is not a mammoth task. Yes, hypothetically it all depends on what you read and choose to study - but read the tone and purpose of his post - he clearly needs a quick solution to complete an assignment that he has neglected for several months (perhaps the deadline-scheduling shows that, yes, someone could compare the works of Homer to Virgil with a Marxist interpretation, if they did so care). The answer I provided was to get on with it, and to remember that an 'open' literature project could basically boil down to comparing 4 short-stories, if he wanted to minimize the amount of time he would have to devote to reading and research. I provided a list of authors that each have literary oeuvres that are ripe with material to discuss and analyse, all in the more digestable format of short stories and prose. Despite my incredulous and dismissive tone, I don't think my posts "aren't worth it", so you can kindly dismiss and ignore the butthurt-ego comments from our local resident no-lifer.

Aussie, are you trying to make my laugh with your "Shakespeare made up words" statement? There's a difference between pioneering thousands of new words for the English vocabulary, and misspelling a commonly used and simple word in a poor mistake. Absolutely dire attempt at arguing, I must say. Also, if you weren't butthurt and had your actual reading-glasses on, you would see that my posts contain more than paragraph-upon-paragraph of "Lolol you can't speel" comments. It was a sarcastic opening comment, nothing more, drop your personal agenda and go back to the murky swampland that you more suitably inhabit.

Last edited by Gawwad (2009-07-14 09:18:11)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6690|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique wrote:

I argue that one could write 20,000 words on 3-4 short modernist stories by the above-listed authors.
And 19,000 of those words would be useless bunk.

Writing concise, informative and to the point is a much more useful skill then blabbering on about waffle.

If you're considering Animal farm... Might I propose an alternative to the novel, or even as a secondary source.

Also if you are considering doing as imortal suggests.
Blade Runner is something worth looking into.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

DrunkFace wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I argue that one could write 20,000 words on 3-4 short modernist stories by the above-listed authors.
And 19,000 of those words would be useless bunk.

Writing concise, informative and to the point is a much more useful skill then blabbering on about waffle.

If you're considering Animal farm... Might I propose an alternative to the novel, or even as a secondary source.

Also if you are considering doing as imortal suggests.
Blade Runner is something worth looking into.
I don't think the idea of a 20,000 word academic essay is to essentially write 1,000 words of mark-able material, and then fill the rest out with "blabbering waffle". One could write 20,000 words of decent and to-the-point material-- and that was my point: that short books don't necessarily have a shortage of things to say about them - it wasn't a passing comment on my writing style I've done more than my fair share of concise 1,000-2,500 word essays, almost all of which were marked 1:1, thank ye very much!

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-14 09:47:19)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

1984 is sci-fi?  I don't know if you could call it shit...elementary maybe, but I've read far shittier books (and far shittier sci-fi, unfortunately).
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

1984 is sci-fi?  I don't know if you could call it shit...elementary maybe, but I've read far shittier books (and far shittier sci-fi, unfortunately).
Don't worry, Ken. Flaming is such an erudite little high-school kid that he can easily look down upon the works of meagre and struggling authors such as George Orwell. 1984? Poor sci-fi, doesn't compare to Hitchhiker's Guide. Animal Farm? What is that, a children's nursery tale? Puh-leez. Flaming only accepts and reads the most elite and underground of contemporary post-modernist literature.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard