Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6465
One of my friends got a virus on his computer, he ran a bunch of anti-virus software but he couldn't get it all off. I told him that the last bit was probably in a Windows registry file and he would need to re-install windows. So he did that. But it didn't work. I went over to his place and looked at it and found that the virus was in the BIOS, we tried to flash the BIOS with a program I had on a thumb-drive but the virus was really weird and all the lettering was all fucked up with weird colors and characters so we couldn't find the place that would let us do that. So I figured to replace the BIOS, he had an old computer with (what we thought) was a similar BIOS so we took out the old one and put this one in. However now the computer wasn't posting a BIOS at all. So we then put the old BIOS back in and all of a sudden the virus was gone, the characters were back to normal and the computer showed no signs of being fucked up.

So exactly what happened? Is the virus really gone? If yes how could just taking out the old BIOS fix it, and if no then in what way is the virus still there?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6564|NYC / Hamburg

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

So I figured to replace the BIOS, he had an old computer with (what we thought) was a similar BIOS so we took out the old one and put this one in.
explain
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6465
That little square chip that stores the BIOS stuff on it is what I mean. And the virus was in the BIOS because it was fucked up even when in the BIOS screens and stuff, before Windows was even loaded you could tell something was wrong.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
New mobo tbh.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

Viruses don't go into BIOS. just some malfunction I guess. It sounds like you could have just reset CMOS (by setting the reset jumper of removing the CMOS battery).
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
mikkel
+383|6598
A virus can most certainly reside in the BIOS. It's extremely unlikely, and an extremely outdated attack vector, but there are plenty of these around. That being said, if removing the EEPROM chip and reseating it fixed the issue, then it's almost positively not a BIOS virus. You've probably just had something that needed some wiggling around in order to work properly.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6388

Why the hell would anyone want to attack the BIOS, other than just screwing up the computer?  Come to think of it, why do people write viruses at all?
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5902|CA

some_random_panda wrote:

Why the hell would anyone want to attack the BIOS, other than just screwing up the computer?  Come to think of it, why do people write viruses at all?
for the lulz, IIRC.
san4
The Mas
+311|6685|NYC, a place to live

TopHat01 wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

for the lulz, IIRC.
Nowadays it's for the profit. You can make real money renting out fifty thousand computers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard