Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm

My very first reaction to this was, how the hell are we going to initially download Firefox now
wingman_lajoda
+17|6759|Gainesville, FL
"If the Commission were to find that Microsoft had committed an abuse, the Commission has suggested that consumers should be offered a choice of browser, not that Windows should be supplied without a browser at all."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/12 … ows_no_ie/
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6319|Londawn
I imagine browsers will initally be downloaded through Windows Update
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6575|Finland
I think this is the best option if the other option is that every browser is pre-installed, which I have seen in the news as one option. The best option would be if Windows would come with Firefox because I use that. Frankly, I think that it is good that Windows comes with Internet Explorer because I know many people who can't use anything else, and choosing and installing a browser would be even more difficult to them.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

Should be an installer option tbh, including Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE etc. letting the user decide.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone

Bertster7 wrote:

Should be an installer option tbh, including Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE etc. letting the user decide.
that would be nice but Microsoft isn't going to support other browsers
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

They wouldn't need to support them. Just bundle them on the installer. Have a disclaimer saying that MS only support IE and for support on the other browsers contact the developers support staff.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6730|Toronto | Canada

I think they should stick with having IE on it at first as a default but then give people the option to install other ones.  I bet this will cause a ton of problems with people having no idea how to access the internet when it comes out.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

They wouldn't need to support them. Just bundle them on the installer. Have a disclaimer saying that MS only support IE and for support on the other browsers contact the developers support staff.
maybe I should have used the word promo instead of support
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

This would be the optimal solution in my opinion.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6405|Finland

I doubt they start integrating other browsers in the OS install tho. That would just get another EU lawsuit thrown at them...

Like said, downloads in Windows update maybe.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-12 08:11:14)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I doubt they start integrating other browsers in the OS install tho. That would just get another EU lawsuit thrown at them...

Why?

It's not anti-competition. It's promoting competition. Bundling numerous freely available products (made by a variety of developers) is not something the EU would have a problem with.

I also doubt they would do it. But it'd be good if they did.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

served.

dont fuck with bill gates next time
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6405|Finland

Bertster7 wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Why?

It's not anti-competition. It's promoting competition. Bundling numerous freely available products (made by a variety of developers) is not something the EU would have a problem with.

I also doubt they would do it. But it'd be good if they did.
If you bundle browser X,Y,Z but not browsers A,B,C, you are giving the 3 browsers unfair marketing position compared to rest = violation of many shit EU laws. Not sure if they are going to change it so this is allowed.

edit: If there is even remote chance of lawsuit, they will not bundle anything that could be reason for it.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-12 08:27:39)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6352|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
So let me get this straight.

We will have to download IE through Windows Updates in order to be able to browse the web to get Firefox?
Stupid, though its not really a problem for me seeing as i have everything on a flash drive
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6405|Finland

ceslayer23 wrote:

So let me get this straight.

We will have to download IE through Windows Updates in order to be able to browse the web to get Firefox?
Stupid, though its not really a problem for me seeing as i have everything on a flash drive
No i think there will be FF, Opera, IE etc. on the WU, just not bundled with the installer.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-12 09:18:22)

utchin
+8|5905
Pretty stupid... At least one browser should be pre installed. Setting up windows takes long enuhg as it is, without silly things like this.
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6512|Polish state of EU
This is ridiculous. This is Microsoft OS, and MS can put in it whatever they want.

Those guys from European Commision are retarded an obviously have nothing better to do. You know, I hate IE myself and i use FF, but this is simply not right. Microsoft isn't stupid, and they will find a way to make all stupid people / computer newbies etc to install and use only IE. What is this going to change? IE is getting pwned anyway and it looses its shares quickly, and soon MS will be simply forced to make it stop sucking. Thx to eurocommision fags once I get W7 I will have more longer and irritating way to get FF, and also IE (I use it sometimes).
jaymz9350
+54|6568

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

This is ridiculous. This is Microsoft OS, and MS can put in it whatever they want.

Those guys from European Commision are retarded an obviously have nothing better to do. You know, I hate IE myself and i use FF, but this is simply not right. Microsoft isn't stupid, and they will find a way to make all stupid people / computer newbies etc to install and use only IE. What is this going to change? IE is getting pwned anyway and it looses its shares quickly, and soon MS will be simply forced to make it stop sucking. Thx to eurocommision fags once I get W7 I will have more longer and irritating way to get FF, and also IE (I use it sometimes).
Pretty much my thought too. 

Maybe they should remove the defrag, format, and any other app that isn't the base OS as well since there is competition on those as well.
CrazeD
+368|6664|Maine
I still don't fucking understand this nonsense. Why should they have to bundle other people's products? It is their product, they can bundle what ever the fuck they want in it.

I guess they should also bundle OpenOffice, GIMP, ThunderBird, etc etc.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5602|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
IE sucks, but how the hell would you download other browsers without it???

Nobody I know uses IE for anything other than initially downloading another browser.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

You haven't ever considered the fact that these sorts of things bring in billions to the EU (hard to justify, but hey, we're all net beneficiaries)?

I bet this is barely noticeable anyway. Remember XP N and Vista N? No? I thought not...

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-06-13 05:13:46)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard