Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Only in America could a youth minister named Divine Allah, who happens to be a member of the black panther party, hold a party on Martin Luther King Boulevard to help stop gang violence, invite a bunch of gang members and when a little girl gets shot not regret his actions and support the gang members presence. Then continue to run for city council.
A New Black Panther Party youth minister who hosted a block party where a 13-year-old girl was killed in the crossfire of gang violence made no apologies on today for inviting known gang members to the gathering.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2009 … block.html
I remember back when I was little how nice my city was, but now it's degrading rapidly. Roads are shit, crime is rampant, nobody cares.

So where did we go wrong exactly? At what point did the U.S. start to go to hell culturally? When did people start thinking bad behavior like being in a gang and selling crack and such was ok? So in your own opinion what happened to the America?

I, for one, lay the blame on the sixties hippie movement. What about you?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
People have far too much of a rose tinted perspective of life in the 30's/40's/50's and earlier, mainly this goes for the UK and the USA. That's what I think.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6689|UK
Before any of you cocks start going on about Islam.  The panthers and the nation of Islam are NOT muslims, if anyone tells you otherwise they're a fuck head.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6672

m3thod wrote:

Before any of you cocks start going on about Islam.  The panthers and the nation of Islam are NOT muslims, if anyone tells you otherwise they're a fuck head.
^ This.

It's kind of like lumping white supremacist KKK assholes with Christians. Religion is a scapegoat for unacceptable behavior.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-06-10 14:38:33)

CC-Marley
+407|6846
Everything is becoming okay. Standards are dropping. Morals dissolving.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

CC-Marley wrote:

Everything is becoming okay. Standards are dropping. Morals dissolving.
https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/m8v2/panic.jpg
That doesn't sound like everything is becoming okay.
CC-Marley
+407|6846
I mean things that were once frowned upon are becoming okay to society. This will continue.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
America's progression (before and after independence), in many ways, could be seen as one mistake after another.

The very first mistake was Europeans colonizing the continent.

The second mistake was bringing a huge slave population to the continent.

The third was killing off most of the natives.

The fourth was rebelling against an empire that was abusive but who ultimately provided enough trade to make life easier than it was without it in the beginning (Britain).

The fifth was having a mostly open door policy of immigration.

...and so on...

So, depending on your perspective, defining the ideal is subjective.  Personally, I think the greatest drawback to slavery goes even beyond oppression of a race.  The worst thing about slavery is that, despite many generations having passed since abolition, a large portion of the black population is still amidst the underclass.  Despite affirmative action and civil rights, blacks are proportionately poorer than most other races in America.  Despite having a half-black president and many other blacks in positions of power in business and government, drugs and crime affect blacks more than most other groups.

Essentially, where we went wrong most was starting the slave trade, because its legacy seems to still be one of a large and growing underclass.  Things would've likely turned out much better for America had the slave trade never existed in the first place.

Because of poverty and a lack of education, it's easy for people like this Divine Allah to manipulate people.

Nevertheless, Divine is still Islamic, as is the Nation of Islam.  Just because they are fanatics doesn't negate their affiliations.

By the same token, Fred Phelps is still a Christian.

The distinction is that these people are fanatics of a given religion.  So they are obviously not representative of the majority of their religion's followers, but you can't deny their affiliations.
13rin
+977|6496
The new black panther party was also at polling places this last election, armed and intimidating voters.  It was clearly racial.  Charges were dropped (of course).  Imagine the inverse if done today... .  I just wish I was a Hispanic lady so that I may make better decisions in my life...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada

DBBrinson1 wrote:

The new black panther party was also at polling places this last election, armed and intimidating voters.  It was clearly racial.  Charges were dropped (of course).  Imagine the inverse if done today... .  I just wish I was a Hispanic lady so that I may make better decisions in my life...
True...  It would be nice if we could more consistently apply our laws regardless of race or religion.
NgoDamWei
+7|5681|Western North Carolina
It was when the chicken, when told he should not cross the road, retained a pro bono ACLU lawyer who won the case. 

It does not matter that the chicken was killed on it's first attempt to cross to road.
13rin
+977|6496
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06 … political/

Wow...  It was all about race.  Go figure.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney

mtb0minime wrote:

m3thod wrote:

^ This.

It's kind of like lumping white supremacist KKK assholes with Christians. Religion is a scapegoat for unacceptable behavior.
Spot on.

Can I please request religion be kept out of this thread? I'd like to witness some good discussion without going down the usual path.
Turquoise
O Canada

Jaekus wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

m3thod wrote:

^ This.

Spot on.

Can I please request religion be kept out of this thread? I'd like to witness some good discussion without going down the usual path.
If you're going to leave out religion, you might as well leave out race too.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

m3thod wrote:

^ This.

Spot on.

That....

...probably isn't possible.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Black panthers = hippies? Fail.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard