Should EA include female player models.

Yes69%69% - 181
No30%30% - 78
Total: 259
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6812|Cologne, Germany

Xaritix wrote:

Yea, at least make it a customizable option, like, I have a sister who is a BF2 freak, and she wishes there were female soldiers, not to play as, she just wants to, well, here is her own words:

"I wish there were girl soldiers so I could Teabag'm" not my words, her's, yep, she's a "tomboy"

And I agree with citizen one, in the PS2 game "Mercenarys" the SK ROKA has commandos that are female, and 5 or so of the NK deck of 52 are female. Take that shogunists!
wait a second...Aren't you the guy with a crush on paris hilton ?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6812|Cologne, Germany

now, for the topic at hand.

wow, barely 23 hours, and already 5 pages. As kilroy has said, we had this discussion a while ago, with no apparent result.

Realism:
the game has some connection to real military units, inlcuding the USMC and PLA. In real life, none of those armies feature female soldiers in combat units, and if the MEC existed, they surely wouldn't either.
therefore, there is no point in argueing about realism here.

from a game developer's point of view, creating female models wouldn't be much difficult, although there is a point in discussing smaller hitboxes or reduced physical abilities ( cannot carry SRAW's or LMG's, reduced sprint, etc.. ). Then again, no one would play those models. From a fair play point of view, female models should have the same characteristics as male models.
But if you do that, the difference between the two models would be hardly noticeable. As some people have pointed out, there is no apparent difference in the looks of a female and a male soldier in combar gear. some facial features, maybe broader hips, a ponytail, that's it.
At that point, the female voice overs would become the most important factor.

EA's prime interest is of course marketing. And since the majority of gamers is male, they have no interest in marketing to female gamers. It is only a question of time though, until female gamers have enough economic power to force developers and publishers to create games that appeal to female gamers as much as to their male counterparts.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having female models, but considering the target group for FPS, I don't think it is going to happen any time soon. Moreover, I don't think gender issues play a huge role in the gaming community. Most of us reckognize that sex really ain't an issue in a virtual playing environment like the internet. There is no way of telling who is in front of that monitor, whatever the model looks like.

I agree it would be nice for those who would like to have a female representation of their character, and I do believe it is going to happen someday, but when I have no idea..
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.

Xaritix wrote:

Yea, at least make it a customizable option, like, I have a sister who is a BF2 freak, and she wishes there were female soldiers, not to play as, she just wants to, well, here is her own words:

"I wish there were girl soldiers so I could Teabag'm" not my words, her's, yep, she's a "tomboy"

And I agree with citizen one, in the PS2 game "Mercenarys" the SK ROKA has commandos that are female, and 5 or so of the NK deck of 52 are female. Take that shogunists!
mercenaries was an awesome game, I had it on the xbox, there is a cheat to play as a ROK commando you know, I used it loads.
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6706|Houston, TX
They should just add character creation all together. Just enough to let you change things like sex, hair, skin, ect. Little thing, nothing drastic to the point that you cant tell if the other person is on your team or not. Gotta keep it uniform.

Maybe have unlockable extras too. Like shades, facepaint, camo patterns ect.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.

staticblue wrote:

They should just add character creation all together. Just enough to let you change things like sex, hair, skin, ect. Little thing, nothing drastic to the point that you cant tell if the other person is on your team or not. Gotta keep it uniform.

Yeah all sports games have them, yeah BF2 is sport lol.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6701|Uhh... erm...
But it'll be fun, you'd be slightly distinguishable from all the other soldiers.
HisInfernalDeath
+23|6695|Belgium
Yes there really have to be female soldiers in the game ! I would walk up ladders right behind them to plant my claymores.
Sounds great. :p
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6591|the side hatch
just for the record, i agree that more customization would be great and am not opposed to female models per se, just the idea of a bunch of female soldiers running around would detract from the whole aestetic that they are going fo here,i thought about it alot before i posted..,in fact the fact that the battlefield series attempts at at a bit of reality is the reason i have such respect for it, as opposed to the myriad of other games out there that are content with space marine warfare and bring nothing new to the table...my argument with whats-his-name had nothing to do with the question at hand other than the fact that he was blatantly flaming and unforgivably ridiculous in his posts..i was rather surprised to see that people thought i was so turgidly against the idea
NPN_Scorpio
+2|6653|King's Island
First off: I don't think official BF2, expansions or booster packs will ever get female skins.
If enough people stop worrying about their precious ranked stats to get a decent mod scene going,
anything can happen.

The stated DICE/EA reason will be "memory constraints" or something, but reading this thread shows the true reason: the target audience is male, and MANY guys don't feel comfortable even being reminded that another gender exists while they are playing shooters.

I think female skins and voices (preferrably not shrill sopranos:)) would be way cool.
As for realism: who cares? On a modern battlefield I think there are lots of combat tasks where women can and actually do outperform men. G tolerance is generally higher. There are skilled female fighter pilots.

One way to implement it to let everyone get the gaming experience they want would be to add a Quake-like option "Use only models from selected set." Players who really can't stand female models can just turn them off, and people feeling that skirmishes between all-amazon units would be interesting could have their way.

At most ranges it really wouldn't matter: a woman in combat gear looks just like the next camouflaged humanoid. Snipers even more so, in those baggy camo suits.

It is more of a personal identification issue. "This is what I want to look like in the game." (to those who haven't opted for "standard models only", anyway)

Last edited by NPN_Scorpio (2006-04-02 17:49:04)

mporlier
+42|6611|Montreal, Canada
I had noticed your sig before and found it nice. Knowing its for real is awesome. You have the privilege of shooting with this toy! Good for you. Shooting an MSG90 not bad.

http://hkpro.com/msg90.htm
TRODPINT
Banned
+2|6573|Afghanistan

Citizen One wrote:

I think that females are very underrepresented in war games, apart from Rainbow Six of course, however when I brought Battlefield 2, I was happy they included black player skins, but that was obvious, however I was disapointed there were no female player models, not even the nedic, lol cliche, but still. Please voice your opinions. If I get a good result, I will make a Petition, that is, of course this thread aint hijacked by ten year olds.

EDITZOR: Sorry, I did mean Dice, not EA, my bad.
I don't see why not.  Hell, it is not even that unrealistic either.  Women fought on the front lines in Vietnam for the VC so I don't think it is as far of a stretch as some people make it.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.

HisInfernalDeath wrote:

Yes there really have to be female soldiers in the game ! I would walk up ladders right behind them to plant my claymores.
What?
TRODPINT
Banned
+2|6573|Afghanistan

Citizen One wrote:

HisInfernalDeath wrote:

What?
I think it was a sexual reference, but I could be wrong.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.
As far as I know, it didn't make sence, "climb the ladder to plant a clay?" ugh ok....
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

staticblue wrote:

See: BF3

mporlier wrote:

I had noticed your sig before and found it nice. Knowing its for real is awesome. You have the privilege of shooting with this toy! Good for you. Shooting an MSG90 not bad.
c1, you're going to end up having to change your sig That, or go pose with a gun
mporlier

chuyskywalker wrote:

staticblue wrote:

See: BF3

mporlier wrote:

c1, you're going to end up having to change your sig That, or go pose with a gun
Hey dont twist my comments :-)
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.

mporlier wrote:

What did he twist
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6601|Washington, DC

Female soldiers, at least in the USMC, don't go to battle. They are in the military, but not out in the front lines for the most part.

What I want to see is the old MEC (with turbans instead of beanies and helmets).
Mr.CobraKai
+3|6623
Realism or not, nice or not, I would certainly rather the developers spend their time fixing the red name bug and the myriad of other problems that are so often complained about in these forums than spend time on cosmetic, "hey wouldn't it be cool" character customization features.  How about this:  once all the bugs are worked out of the game, fine, work on female skins.  But as long as I still hear "I TKd you because your name is RED! You show up as enemy!" I'd really rather they didn't spend time on skins.  It's rather like having a surgeon concentrate his time on removing freckles from your skin (I don't like how they look!) while ignoring the massive, malignant, cancerous tumor eating away your liver.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

chuyskywalker wrote:

I don't think BF2 will get any more updated models (and this is probably too late for 2142) but BF3 will be a bigger better game. I'd go for female models -- heck, I'd play one (probably has a smaller hitbox.)
Haha.  So true.  To add, following other games, female models would be faster and quicker to strike, but have slightly fewer hit points and carry less loads...
mporlier

Citizen One wrote:

mporlier wrote:

What did he twist
I just hope his comment "... pose with a gun ..." did not mean anything improper.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.

mporlier wrote:

Citizen One wrote:

mporlier wrote:

What did he twist
I just hope his comment "... pose with a gun ..." did not mean anything improper.
He probably did.
A.Frade
Banned
+4|6660

VidSicious wrote:

Can you imagine the damage an all female, PMS squad could do?  Yikes!
EVERYONE RUN!
TRODPINT
Banned
+2|6573|Afghanistan

A.Frade wrote:

VidSicious wrote:

Can you imagine the damage an all female, PMS squad could do?  Yikes!
EVERYONE RUN!
All you need is a couple pints of Ben & Jerry's with some clay's around them.
josh's
Banned
+2|6660

A.Frade wrote:

Citizen One wrote:

A.Frade wrote:

Yea, i think there should be female models but keep it realistic. I don't think there would be too many femals using a pkm or the rpg in special forces. but, i guess they could be included for other kits.
Medic, Sniper yeah?
Well i guess they could do medic, sniper, engineer (),SF, probably even assualt why not and they should be white and black females! But the male to female ratio should be realistic and would the mec and pla armies have femals? I think whether you are male or female should happen at random.
mec should be the only army wity femails and in the case of euro fore they should 2. have it like bfv were u can pick out of like 2-4 skins and differnt haeds for all of the kits hell thay should have a player customizer were u can costom ize them to how u want them to liik and u can add yer srgent stripes to your arm and stuff

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard