Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
So what I'm getting here is the following:

Both the Islamic and American image is bad internationally.

I'm wondering if the international community is putting the same amount of criticism on Islamic countries?  How effective is that?

Oh...right...it's not a democracy so there's no self-criticism...only beheadings for speaking out.  Which, in turn, no one talks about or does anything about internationally.

At least we listen.  We might not give a shit, but we'll listen.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

DB - America has a problem. The Muslim world has a long had very legitimate grievances with respect to US and general western involvement in their region. He is recognising that and putting his hand up. Hate him for the overspend but not the very much overdue apology and constructive attitude towards international affairs. PR is 9/10 of the battle. Of course the US could continue being antagonistic and non-constructive with these nations upon whose oil resources so much is dictated globally and see where that gets them.

The logical analysis goes like this:

1) Does the US have a poor image in the middle east? Yes.
2) Does the US have interests in the middle east? Yes.
3) Is there a chance that these actions might have a positive effect? Yes, maybe.
4) Does it cost the US anything to attempt to improve their image in the region through dialogue and embrace? No.
5) Has the status quo antagonism and poorly planned strongman attitude yielded results in terms of the US image in this pivotal region? Certainly not. And not just in the middle east but everywhere else too.

Pride can be a very ugly and counter-productive thing. The fact that lowing can't comprehend that the US has a very real image problem pretty much everywhere outside the US (assuming this from his inverted commas on the word image) shows how insular and oblivious he is. He's basically a poster boy for America's poor image globally. Stubborn, proud, ignorant and unconstructive. Of course I know for a fact he doesn't care about the image of the US outside of the US so him posting this article, which pertains to the US image globally, seems rather odd in that context.
any chance that if our image is so terrible that the world will stop taking our foreign aid?  Why do I doubt it.
Probably for the same reason that you, and people like you, who hate the current government still accept all of the handouts, concessions, welfare and tax benefits that you can get your hands on.
sorry, I am a straight white middle class man, with a job, there are no tax breaks, handouts, concessions welfare, and tax benefits for me. I am one of the ones who provides for everyone else, and your automatic assumption that my life should be filled with such things leads me to believe that "you and people like you" are part of the problem and not the solution

Last edited by lowing (2009-06-04 09:47:51)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

2. 'Right to live free' in a country stolen from someone else, somewhat like defending the rights of car thieves to continue driving their stolen cars - they stole them fair and square - why should they give them back?
Dilbert, who was it that put them there in the first place?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK

Pug wrote:

I'm wondering if the international community is putting the same amount of criticism on Islamic countries?  How effective is that?

Oh...right...it's not a democracy so there's no self-criticism...only beheadings for speaking out.  Which, in turn, no one talks about or does anything about internationally.

What's the point in listening if you still won't give a shit
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK
tell that to the muslims.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

m3thod wrote:

Did..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23334.html

Bam!
Obama got a standing early ovation when he declared: “I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.

But some audience members gasped when he followed that with: “That same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire.”
Xbone Stormsurgezz
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

Kmarion wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Did..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23334.html

Bam!
Obama got a standing early ovation when he declared: “I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.

But some audience members gasped when he followed that with: “That same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire.”
Same old dribble.  And actions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

Speak louder than words:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23334.htm
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

dead

Tell that to those kissing the anointed ones feet.

Kmarion wrote:

m3thod wrote:

It was a setup..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug

m3thod wrote:

Pug wrote:

Isn't the President on a Middle East publicity tour right now?  Yep.  We ain't listening.

"The US shouldn't be meddling in other countries"

...isn't that meddling in US affairs?  Irony.

And Iran's meddling in the Middle East?  Sanctions aren't preventing anything...I'm sure the same amount of bitching is being heard and acted upon?

Oh right...they aren't meddling.
Pug
One more...

...what has YOUR country ACTIVELY done recently to reduce the tensions in the Middle East?

Bitching doesn't count.  Neither does drawing shitty national borders and then leaving the region.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Kmarion wrote:

dead

Tell that to those kissing the anointed ones feet.

Kmarion wrote:

m3thod wrote:

It was a setup..lol
https://static.velvetcache.org/pages/2007/5/25/its-a-trap/tarp-30198.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

m3thod wrote:

Pug wrote:

"Both the Islamic and American image is bad internationally.

I'm wondering if the international community is putting the same amount of criticism on Islamic countries? "<-----a valid qustion why not just answer it first, instead of just asking another question
Balok77
+28|6149
Of course they are. Read a tabloid newspaper and every other week youll see an article bashing Israel, Iran or Muslims as a whole. The usage of internationl communtiy confuses me somewhat. Its not like all the other countries get together every other week and bitch about America. When have you heard a western government as of late put the same amount of critiscism on America as they do on nations such as those in the middle east?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Balok77 wrote:

Of course they are. Read a tabloid newspaper and every other week youll see an article bashing Israel, Iran or Muslims as a whole. The usage of internationl communtiy confuses me somewhat. Its not like all the other countries get together every other week and bitch about America. When have you heard a western government as of late put the same amount of critiscism on America as they do on nations such as those in the middle east?
Hmmmmm, if that is true then I wonder why the leaders of the ME are not on a global whirlwind apology tour like Obama is. Maybe I need to check my local listing for a show date in a town near me
Balok77
+28|6149
What do they truly have to apologize for? They cant apologize for fundamentalism or extremism in their countries regions, you don't see Middle Eastern governments openly condoning it. When was the last time an Irish official apologised to the world for the IRA? Or have you heard the U.S government saying that they made a mistake in Iraq? (It may not have been a mistake but it is viewed in the eyes of many as one.)

I think its good that Obama is taking the high road, and through this tour he is helping to forge better relations with countries that may have felt alienated or threatened by the U.S.A. Now I am not saying that this was done intentionally but you can see why some nations might feel that way with Uncle Sam and his battle fleets breathing down their necks. Obama is taking the first steps and hopefully soon other counties will reciprocate.

You asked why these Middle Eastern leaders aren't doing the same thing. Well lets be honest here, America is the superpower and to an extent it is up to them to set the example to the rest of the world. Of course therefore a larger amount of scrutiny falls on its actions, but that's part of being the most powerful nation on earth.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

lowing wrote:

Hmmmmm, if that is true then I wonder why the leaders of the ME are not on a global whirlwind apology tour like Obama is.
Maybe because Obama is taking the first steps toward diplomacy? Maybe leaders of the ME are local "Bushes" and say they're fighting evil?

Be as it may, if E.g. Ahmanidejad would do that, there would be some people who would think that their president is a liberal douche.

So if you really strip everything down, the muslim extremist is the ME equivalent of you.
I need around tree fiddy.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

DonFck wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hmmmmm, if that is true then I wonder why the leaders of the ME are not on a global whirlwind apology tour like Obama is.
Maybe because Obama is taking the first steps toward diplomacy? Maybe leaders of the ME are local "Bushes" and say they're fighting evil?

Be as it may, if E.g. Ahmanidejad would do that, there would be some people who would think that their president is a liberal douche.

So if you really strip everything down, the muslim extremist is the ME equivalent of you.
Well, I am gunna disagree with you there for reason that are obvious. and if those reasons are not readily apparent to you then you are too far gone to even attempt a dialog .
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6490|Gogledd Cymru

Basically Don, lowing is trying to say.

"I'm right you're wrong and I'm not even going to bother telling you why."
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Balok77 wrote:

What do they truly have to apologize for? They cant apologize for fundamentalism or extremism in their countries regions, you don't see Middle Eastern governments openly condoning it. When was the last time an Irish official apologised to the world for the IRA? Or have you heard the U.S government saying that they made a mistake in Iraq? (It may not have been a mistake but it is viewed in the eyes of many as one.)

I think its good that Obama is taking the high road, and through this tour he is helping to forge better relations with countries that may have felt alienated or threatened by the U.S.A. Now I am not saying that this was done intentionally but you can see why some nations might feel that way with Uncle Sam and his battle fleets breathing down their necks. Obama is taking the first steps and hopefully soon other counties will reciprocate.

You asked why these Middle Eastern leaders aren't doing the same thing. Well lets be honest here, America is the superpower and to an extent it is up to them to set the example to the rest of the world. Of course therefore a larger amount of scrutiny falls on its actions, but that's part of being the most powerful nation on earth.
I have said over and over again and it still goes, the world can stop begging us for handouts as they are going to call us assholes while we help them.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

Pug wrote:

One more...

...what has YOUR country ACTIVELY done recently to reduce the tensions in the Middle East?

Bitching doesn't count.  Neither does drawing shitty national borders and then leaving the region.
Say hello to my Pakistani heritage.  God save the...erm...erm...yeah what was it again broooooooooooo?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

The Sheriff wrote:

I will just say, I am truely sorry you think I am the equivalent of a terrorist who straps bombs on children, women or themselves for the goal of blowing up innocent people.

I am sorry you think I am no different than a person who will saw off the heads of inocent people for a youtube video.

I am sorry you can not see a difference between me and someone flies airplanes full of innocent people into buildings full of innocent people.

I truely am sorry for this blurred line
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

lowing wrote:

I will just say, I am truely sorry you think I am the equivalent of a terrorist who straps bombs on children, women or themselves for the goal of blowing up innocent people.
And I am truly sorry if you maintain your standpoint that every muslim is a terrorist. Looks like Obama is apologizing that opinions like yours exist in the U.S.
I need around tree fiddy.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

lowing wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

I am sorry you think I am no different than a person who will saw off the heads of inocent people for a youtube video.

I am sorry you can not see a difference between me and someone flies airplanes full of innocent people into buildings full of innocent people.

I truely am sorry for this blurred line
They're all dead... so who exactly are you fighting?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

DonFck wrote:

lowing wrote:

And I am truly sorry if you maintain your standpoint that every muslim is a terrorist. Looks like Obama is apologizing that opinions like yours exist in the U.S.
Well now we are getting somewhere,  please by all means do a search, and tell me where I have said I believe every Muslim is a terrorist. When you are done, after I get home form work I will look for your retraction and or apology. I doubt however you will be man enough to offer one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard