Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6734
I wonder what the UAW will pitch to Toyota... we helped ruin 2 of the biggest car companies in the world... Can we do the same for you?
   And if Unions were accepted by Toyota and it didn't work out... Toyota can just switch to Mexican plants or make the cars back in Japan.Who loses...?  The American workers

...  hopefully Toyota has common sense?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/oh-wha … ts-toyota/

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-30 12:49:56)

Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina
I don't see how or why Toyota would align with them.  The same goes for Honda.

Unless their leadership is a lot less sensible than I would assume, the UAW will go nowhere with Toyota.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6548|Boston, MA
Toyota would never go for it, they already fire people for trying to organize unions within their company. Why would they openly hire a union like that?

By the way, isn't firing people who try to form a union illegal anyway?
jaymz9350
+54|6595

Turquoise wrote:

I don't see how or why Toyota would align with them.  The same goes for Honda.

Unless their leadership is a lot less sensible than I would assume, the UAW will go nowhere with Toyota.
The UAW has been trying to unionize Honda for years to no avail (they might have given up for now haven't heard much recently about it), and I see the same with Toyota.
Turquoise
O Canada

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

Toyota would never go for it, they already fire people for trying to organize unions within their company. Why would they openly hire a union like that?

By the way, isn't firing people who try to form a union illegal anyway?
Nope.  Walmart is adamantly against unions and fires people all the time for it.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6734
I understand that Unions are there to represent the workers in theory... but the Unions end up being most of the problem.
They end up being corrupt and bloated and end up pricing the workers they represent right out of the market. 
   Too bad there can't be a Union that looks out for the employee with no ulterior motives.

And i don't understand why people get mad at Walmart for not having unions...If people don't like that they don't have to work there.
    Walmart is a great place for people who just want to make 8 or 9 bucks an hour(should they get paid 15-25 bucks an hour for basic unskilled labor?)...
   I have been to Walmart and they aren't harboring any underpaid geniuses...  Mostly just people that want to earn a paycheck... 

And if you work hard and standout at Walmart you rise up in the ranks.Then they pay you more money... sounds fair
Retail store asst mgr   42k a year
Retail store mgr    61k a year
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Emp … Inc/Salary

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-30 17:57:44)

Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada
Well, to be fair, Walmart probably needs a union.

Automakers hand out great benefits already.  Walmart...  not so much.
jsnipy
+3,276|6541|...

UAW sounds like the RIAA, both are outdated entities trying to spin the purpose of their existence.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6567|San Diego, CA, USA
I just bought a Nissan so I'm ok.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6683|NT, like Mick Dundee

Nissan makes some quality stuff.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6861|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Man, I opened this thread expecting a predator to shoot a hellfire at a technical or something
13/f/taiwan
+940|5717
I drive a suziki xl. Not bad.

Go asian car companies!

Last edited by 12/f/taiwan (2009-05-30 20:30:57)

rdx-fx
+955|6610

Sydney wrote:

Man, I opened this thread expecting a predator to shoot a hellfire at a technical or something
That can be arranged.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6241|Brisneyland
Heres a thought. If the UAW is so bad in the US, why hasnt Ford gone Bankrupt as well?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6780

Burwhale wrote:

Heres a thought. If the UAW is so bad in the US, why hasnt Ford gone Bankrupt as well?
because ford was able to secure more junk bonds
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6241|Brisneyland
I am not familiar with junk bonds, how do they help??

Last edited by Burwhale (2009-05-31 05:12:46)

Turquoise
O Canada

Burwhale wrote:

GM was the company most affected by the UAW.  While Ford has some UAW members, their management is considerably better than that of GM or Chrysler.

Nevertheless, Ford almost went bankrupt at one point.  They did receive bailout money, but the difference is that they knew how to spend in wiser ways than GM or Chrysler.  Still, if none of their employees were unionized, they'd be equally as competitive as Toyota and Honda.
PureFodder
+225|6304
Hasn't the UAW already been representing the workers of a Toyota plant in California successfuly for like 20 years?
jaymz9350
+54|6595

Turquoise wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Nevertheless, Ford almost went bankrupt at one point.  They did receive bailout money, but the difference is that they knew how to spend in wiser ways than GM or Chrysler.  Still, if none of their employees were unionized, they'd be equally as competitive as Toyota and Honda.
Actually Ford is the only of the Big 3 that didn't take bailout money and oddly enough is the only one not in bankruptcy.  All Ford did was make sure the money would be available to them IF they need it, they did not take any.
Turquoise
O Canada

jaymz9350 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Actually Ford is the only of the Big 3 that didn't take bailout money and oddly enough is the only one not in bankruptcy.  All Ford did was make sure the money would be available to them IF they need it, they did not take any.
You're correct.  I screwed up the bailout thing on the Pew survey in that other thread too.  I had thought for sure that they did receive it, but I was mistaken.

PureFodder wrote:

Hasn't the UAW already been representing the workers of a Toyota plant in California successfuly for like 20 years?
Not that I'm aware of, but I'll look into it.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-06-02 13:47:53)

Karbin
+42|6313

PureFodder wrote:

Might be what your thinking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-Star_Motors
PureFodder
+225|6304
Apparently it's called NUMMI, a joint Toyota/GM venture.

NUMMI and UAW as Partners: NUMMI signed the agreement with United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 2244 that took effect on July 1, 1985. This was a historic agreement between NUMMI and the UAW as two cooperative partners. Under this agreement, NUMMI accepted the UAW as the legitimate bargaining agent of its team members and willingly agreed to pay the prevailing US auto workers wage and benefits. On the other hand, UAW agreed to be an active participant and take a cooperative role in labour management relationship at the production facility. Since then, NUMMI's collaborative partnership with the UAW has been a topic of numerous labour relations studies. At NUMMI, Toyota and GM have been jointly researching alternative-fuel vehicles. From 1984, NUMMI has produced and marketed more than 6.0 million vehicles. The UAW also agreed to accept Toyota's production methods and to work with the company to improve productivity and quality continuously.
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2 … 26460.html
GateKeeper{NL}
+142|6387
The world has yet to realize that behavior like "I have a 9 digit money number on my bank account how can I make 10 of it?".
We people need to unify as one.

But most likely we need to nuke ourselves firs in a WW3 to realize it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard