lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6838|Denver colorado

DonFck wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

That has not much to do with image. That has more to do with being in total shithole impoverished nations and simply wanting a decent standard of living. Plenty of people flock into Europe for the same reasons, irrespective of what they think of Europe's 'image'. Many Algerians must hate France but they flock there all the same. If you think the US does not have a bad image abroad then I suggest to take a trip outside.
I have.  White people are adored all over Asia.  Many of them want to marry white men.  And it does have to do about image.    They want a piece of that American dream and live the American life.  That is the image of America that they see.  Not some super power pushing it's agenda on the world.
Koreans think white people are stupid gits as far as I know.
koreans are cunty to everyone.

The majority of asaia however, does in fact, envy the american lifestyle and most women would rather marry a white male.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6003|Truthistan
CameronPoe pic Thanks
https://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2004/05/20/1abughraib1.jpghttps://www.knowgangs.com/photo/data/515/VIOLENT2.jpg

I would really like to see those really bad Gitmo pics and the pics from Cheney's secret stash and then have this discussion again.

The more Obama talks the more other politicans from around the world look like retards if they try to rag on the US.
Once upon a time, oh for about eight years there, an anti-US diatribe probably got some European and Canadian polticians elected.
Not that US actions don't warrant scrutiny, but people should concentrate on their domestic issues intead of casting stones at all the other glass houses.

As far as the pics go, I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison to the US military and gangs, so calm down before you bust a nut. I will say this though, if the gang banger is an idiot flashing signs and shit, then WTF is with the "professional" soldier making signs and making all smiley over a dead guy. Seriously WTF, image people, image.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

For my money the United States does have an image "issue". I say that because it seems that people get up in arms if you say that there's a problem with it. Regardless I saw this comic strip today which this reminds me of.
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Tyferra/untitled.jpg
Americans realise that internatonally they don't have the best image but are content so far to say things to themselves like "They just wished they lived here" or "pah I don't need friends anyway" or they simply don't care. I think that pride in one's nation is fine, it's just nice when the pride you feel is reaffirmed by what others think of you.

But don't listen to me, I come from one of the most insecure countries in the world. Advertisers know that all they need to do is get an American or someone from somewhere other than Australia to say "Hey you guy's are awesome" and EVERYONE in New Zealand will buy their product and say it's the dog's bollocks even if it is just dog's bollocks.

The fact still remains that the US is the only place hanging "No Jokes" signs in it's international airports. I don't know about you but as soon as I see something like that it makes me want to go up to the nearest security guard and say "Hey bro, that flight was da bomb!" while winking furiously.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

they simply don't care <-- this TY.. mostly this
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Yah no doubt, ours is the age of apathy after all.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Ty wrote:

The fact still remains that the US is the only place hanging "No Jokes" signs in it's international airports. I don't know about you but as soon as I see something like that it makes me want to go up to the nearest security guard and say "Hey bro, that flight was da bomb!" while winking furiously.
Ever have thoughts of posting one of your infamous Muhammad cartoons in Denmark?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6673|NT, like Mick Dundee

Kmarion wrote:

Ty wrote:

Ever have thoughts of posting one of your infamous Muhammad cartoons in Denmark?
I'd do it for shits and giggles.

Freedom of speech tbh.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

I suppose declaring a holy war over a joke is a tad worse than sticking a gloved hand up your whatsit over one but the hypocrisy is still evident. I suppose at least the US has the decency to warn you about it beforehand.

Edit: Ah ha! Fuck I just got the double meaning in my last sentance. I'm claiming that as intentional, fuck I'm clever!

Edit 2: What? No-one else found that funny?

Last edited by Ty (2009-06-02 20:13:40)

[Blinking eyes thing]
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

I'd say I was surprised at the amount of people that think the US doesn't have an image problem world wide, however I'd be forgetting the amount of idiots who have their heads stuck in the sand if I did so.

There are definitely a lot of people world wide that dislike the US because of it's politics, no matter how much aid you send to places. This is seen even in Europe, where you still get people making ignorant comments at the US's expense. Now whether it's true or not (IMO generally not) it's clear that people perceive you in a certain way, and by claiming it's not a problem, you're just cementing yourselves as the idiots the rest of the world sees you as.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

ghettoperson wrote:

I'd say I was surprised at the amount of people that think the US doesn't have an image problem world wide, however I'd be forgetting the amount of idiots who have their heads stuck in the sand if I did so.

There are definitely a lot of people world wide that dislike the US because of it's politics, no matter how much aid you send to places. This is seen even in Europe, where you still get people making ignorant comments at the US's expense. Now whether it's true or not (IMO generally not) it's clear that people perceive you in a certain way, and by claiming it's not a problem, you're just cementing yourselves as the idiots the rest of the world sees you as.
The truth is we've got our own domestic problems to deal with. That occupies the majority of our concerns. I understand your frustration, but we've got an extremely divisive country right now. What you think about us simply is not a priority. We have to mend the fences at home first. Harsh truth, maybe. But I'd rather be disappointed then lied to.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

I'm sure you can get both done. It's not like it cost a lot to make a few speeches.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

ghettoperson wrote:

I'm sure you can get both done. It's not like it cost a lot to make a few speeches.
Haven't we been? You know as well as I do that it's going to take action to fix action.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Probably, I'm pretty drunk and can't remember what solution the article in the OP proposed. I'll come back and post something useful tomorrow.
Vax
+42|5860|Flyover country

ghettoperson wrote:

Or maybe we think that people who broadbrush and lump "americans" all into one big homogeneous group to direct hate at, are bigots and idiots, and don't respect their opinion enough to care.

It's not that different than those generalising about "muslims" or ..."the French".... or whatever really, the people doing it are ignorant and aren't worth the time.

Hell, I was in europe in the 80's, and they all 'hated us' because of Reagan, it's never going to change
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

^^true.. ffs we are a very diverse group.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vax
+42|5860|Flyover country

Kmarion wrote:

The truth is we've got our own domestic problems to deal with.
understatement.

"oh, we have an image problem in 'world opinion'? .....alright. i'm going back to work now, hopefully"
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
The US does have an image problem regarding Islam, lowing. Thank you for evidencing it in your OP. We can't be the "this group of people is no-good" folks that you'd like us to be and still expect to be taken seriously. There have already been enough jokes about the land of the free denying people freedoms; we need to have the high ground. The current military affairs of this country won't be looked on kindly by history if we do it half-assed.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6673|NT, like Mick Dundee

https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CNeLl4XcjNShVxDYBRhPMgiVA938PYDH0g

lelwat
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6351|California
Seriously lowing? You honestly do not think America has an image problem? Jesus this is a new level of arrogance. You do apparently don't get out or else you would see the exponential amount of people, not even just Americans, that see Muslims in the -

DonFck wrote:

I do believe he talks about people who label each and every muslim in the world to be a wife-raping jihadist who beheads his children after eating their souls, citing the Quran in front of a shitty VHS-cam, sending it to Al-Jazeera and building IED:s out of goat manure.

You know, people like you.
- way.

Stop bashing Obama because you're too ignorant to see things otherwise. Face it. If it weren't for key American acts, the terrorists would not be doing any of this. They don't simply hate us for no reason. If you don't believe me I'm sure I could muster up a few reasons why.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I'm not condoning or justifying their acts, but for fuck's sake, don't be so narrow-mindedly one sided.

People like lowing are what's wrong with America. Yes Lowing, America has problems, deal with it.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2009-06-02 22:00:16)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
You know a philosophy has gone off the political rails when being liked is seen as a negative.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
In case you need assistance.

btw, I think America has a lot of apologizing to do; politically, financially and morally.

But I still love it, warts and all.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
I agree with CameronPoe, plus we are trying to be present some type of democracy when no longer than 30 years ago people were discriminated against. Other nations existed when Indians (Native Americans) roamed these lands, so I think other countries know WTF they are doing and we shouldnt intervene and but in, into everyone's business. No wonder everyone or a lot of people hate us. If some douche bag came to your house and you were arguing with your family and he started telling you what to do and how to run things you would be pissed off too.

Last edited by blademaster (2009-06-03 16:10:07)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6388|MN
Our country is becoming the laughing stock of the International economic community right now.  Do you think I care about what other countries think about us on a moral basis.  Politically we have no moral basis.  I have a hard time caring about what others think of our government when I feel we lost our way many years ago.  If we get things strightened out, then I might care what other countries think about us.  Actually, no I still won't.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
BVC
+325|6704
I just made crab cakes for dinner, have never made them before and I love to experiment with cooking.  Fuck me, crab meat is getting a slice of my paycheque from now on!

Between that, pumpkin pie, chili...and miller chill...  Make all the McDonalds jokes you want, American food rocks!

Last edited by Pubic (2009-06-03 01:36:59)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6157|'straya

Turquoise wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I have.  White people are adored all over Asia.  Many of them want to marry white men.  And it does have to do about image.    They want a piece of that American dream and live the American life.  That is the image of America that they see.  Not some super power pushing it's agenda on the world.
My own experience in China was one of Chinese pride in their nation and a buzz of developing their own nation, not shipping out to Uncle Sam. They loved their McDonalds alright but if that represents the 'American image' then that would be quite sad. When I was in Moscow I noticed that the Russians were all mad for McDonalds but the media and the people were anything but fond of the US politically speaking. When I was in Jordan, Turkey and Palestine all I heard were complaints about the US. The Israelis loved America incidentally, with Israel-America flags and t-shirts in abundance. Throughout Europe millions of people turned out in the streets to protest against American actions in the middle east. I have encountered lots of US tourists on my travels and in Ireland who are concerned with their nation's image. These days this forms one of the less savoury components of the image of the US in a lot of the world:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/ … hraib1.jpg
A friend of mine who studied abroad in Russia said that most of the Russians she met loved Obama (even though they really didn't know much about him).

I have another friend who recently became a Turkish citizen who apparently says that a lot of Turkish women seem to like Western European and white American men (he'll be marrying a Turkish woman soon himself), but their view of our government is mixed.

From what I can gather, our freedoms attract people, but our interventionism often annoys them.
This.

The image of the Western (American) lifestyle is great, however to put it very basically. American foreign policy sucks, and it has done for centuries. Interventionism can be great when used appropriately, but to much of the world it would appear that the US is all for intervening as long as it benefits them, and then when something happens that doesn't benefit them they will either ignore it or assassinate the leader and place a unstable, unpopular dictatorship in place.

[Apologies for not reading the entire topic but I haven't got time]

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard