Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

Huh Def-Con?

smuder201 wrote:

But the new system does'nt work it has absolutely annoyed the shit outta me the new system is so random its unbeleivable, they say they are going to fix it by Sunday but did they not test this new system out first cos if they did it must of been tested by absolute fan boys.

But do you really think this new system is going to stop whoring. No it aint people are still going to try to get as many achivements as possible as quickly as possible, all this new system has done is annoy alot of players that play for the shit n giggles that new packs bring rather than now where it is random as to what drop you get, FFS this aint fucking WoW it is was a fun game because the unlocks were reasonably simple to get.
Played since beta. The game is just as much fun without unlocks as it is with unlocks. They don't change the function of each class as much as people make out. Annoyed a lot of players yes, but I haven't seen any snipers in servers running at enemy spies to get them to backstab them, which would have been happening everywhere if this was still the unlock-achievement system for about two weeks. The free weekend is going to make everything that happens in TF2 for the next few days fucking retarded along with the bugged unlock system but it will go back to a semblance of normality. Just chill, the core gameplay remains relatively unchanged.

Valve remain open and receptive to suggestions as far as I can see, send them an email expressing your concerns if you want. Things like the sandman nerf show that they still listen about 50% of the time.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6519|Austin, Texas
New post.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2535

Blog wrote:

First off, a quick note: We put so much stuff into this update that we didn't manage to cover it all on the internets before the update went live, so we made a special Bonus page. In addition, our merchandising crew had as much fun coming up with Spy & Sniper themed merchandise as we did making the update, so make sure you go and check it all out.

Secondly, we wanted to take a moment to talk about the new item drop system in the update, since we're getting a lot of questions about it.

Why did we build a new system?

* With our first four class updates we were tying the new weapons for each class to a set of achievements. Our intention was to make a set of achievements that eventually all players would get, and would be fun to get along the way. In some cases we did a good job at this (Scout), and in some cases we did a bad one (Medic). Across all of the class packs we were disappointed in the number of people that got to play with the new weapons, and feedback from the community was generally not favorable with this approach.

What did we do?

* For the last number of months we've been working on using the Steam Cloud to store a player's inventory. With that finally in place, we were able to deploy a new system focused on the giving of items to players. That new system watches the amount of time that players are playing TF2, and gives them a chance to find items at regular intervals. They aren't guaranteed to get the item at those points, but they have a pretty good chance. We based the system on granting items on the amount of time played because we don't want players to have to do weird things like join achievement grinding servers to get new content. Basing it off time also has the benefit of ensuring that if you play a lot of TF2, you're going to get more items than players who don't.

How long do I have to play to get an item?

* When we were tuning this system we first looked at the average amount of time that players spend playing TF2 daily. From there, we set the goal of most players having around 20 items in their inventory after a couple of weeks of play. If you're someone who plays a lot of TF2, you're going to get items a lot faster than that. In the first few hours after the release yesterday, we had some issues that prevented the system from working properly, so that timeframe was not indicative of the system as it's designed.

Is this the way we'll find items from now on?

* Like everything else we build, we'll be iterating on this system for a while, and have a lot of features planned. Some of the next things we have planned are:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

- Giving players a method to influence the system so they   can work directly toward getting specific items.

- Adding more rare items like the hats.

We're going to be working on and rolling these out while we're also working on the next class pack, with the goal being to get it all released before then.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
"Rare items like hats" - I guess it recognised how much I have played Soldier since the TF2 Beta, that's why I got my helmet in the first 5 minutes . The blog-notes seem pretty helpful, in Valve's own typical way of sounding authoritative whilst skirting around the real issues and ignoring the mass complaints...

Quite ironic that everyone said this new system was introduced to avoid the trouble of achievement-server 'grinding', and now the item rewards are based on some arbitrary time-played system... essentially making it even more of a grind. Lollercaust.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6519|Austin, Texas

Uzique wrote:

"Rare items like hats" - I guess it recognised how much I have played Soldier since the TF2 Beta, that's why I got my helmet in the first 5 minutes . The blog-notes seem pretty helpful, in Valve's own typical way of sounding authoritative whilst skirting around the real issues and ignoring the mass complaints...

Quite ironic that everyone said this new system was introduced to avoid the trouble of achievement-server 'grinding', and now the item rewards are based on some arbitrary time-played system... essentially making it even more of a grind. Lollercaust.
The part that bugs me is valve never says they're changing the drop rate. They said that you get about 20 unlocks in a "couple of weeks", which for a number (lets say 2 hours/day, 7d/wk) would give a drop rate of 1 drop/2hrs, not too far off current estimates (1 drop/4 hrs).

They said that drop rate was bugged after release, but there have been no server updates since the initial release.

Last edited by Bevo (2009-05-22 17:15:48)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

Uzique wrote:

I thought it was the other way around, people who play less get them more often, to make it more fair and fun for people who rarely play.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Oh is that why I got a Medic hat so quickly .

On another note. I LOVE the Ambassador.

The official stats say that:

Gets criticals on headshots.
-15% Damage
-20% Firing rate.

What they don't mention is:

Bullets go through enemies so you can hit several at once
The gun uses the same hitbox as the flamethrower, ie it just has to hit a massive box around each character, rather than the tightly fitting hitbox that all the other weapons use.

So basically. You just need to aim near enemies.

It's absolutely devastating. I'm having as much fun with the weapon as I can before they inevitably nerf it.
No/Yes
+14|5941|California, USA

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

-15% Damage
-20% Firing rate.

The gun uses the same hitbox as the flamethrower, ie it just has to hit a massive box around each character, rather than the tightly fitting hitbox that all the other weapons use.

It's absolutely devastating. I'm having as much fun with the weapon as I can before they inevitably nerf it.
Downside is the bullets don't kill sticky mines.

On another note, a nice unlock system would be the following:

Bring back the milestones which give you weapons.  The weapons the achievements give you are always average stats.

The duplicats you find in the game can be a little under, or above average.  Or just average.

Seems fool proof, makes most people happy.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Also. Hey Valve remember that DX8 mode that a lot of people use to get decent framerates? Watch what happens if you're in DX8 and Jarate is thrown at you >.<

https://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/Spidery_Yoda/pl_goldrush0072.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

-15% Damage
-20% Firing rate.

tl;dr - you love the Ambassador because it's totally skill-less, has a learning curve that's as steep as a hill in Holland, and is currently massively overpowered and noobified :p. Getting killed by totally inept Spies that randomly and luckily got the unlock in 2-3 shots is VERY disconcerting; as a Soldier and a damn good Soldier I don't think a vaguely well-aimed shot or two should make me run for cover. ESPECIALLY from a class that's meant to be stealthy and fragile like the Spy is. They now in effect have a one-shot kill at close range and at long-range. Fuck. That.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5496|England

Uzique wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

-15% Damage
-20% Firing rate.

tl;dr - you love the Ambassador because it's totally skill-less, has a learning curve that's as steep as a hill in Holland, and is currently massively overpowered and noobified :p. Getting killed by totally inept Spies that randomly and luckily got the unlock in 2-3 shots is VERY disconcerting; as a Soldier and a damn good Soldier I don't think a vaguely well-aimed shot or two should make me run for cover. ESPECIALLY from a class that's meant to be stealthy and fragile like the Spy is. They now in effect have a one-shot kill at close range and at long-range. Fuck. That.
tl;dr, you are awesome basically
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

Uzique wrote:

To be honest I was getting pretty bored of using it towards the end of my play session. The ability to easily nail fast moving scouts and far away Snipers with little effort was just.. not as fun as well aimed shotgun shots or having to rely on stealth to do well.

So yeah. It'll get fixed soon anyway. Maybe even tonight.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-05-22 18:09:31)

weasel_thingo
+74|6325
AFKing FOR MY WELFARE GEAR has found: The Axtinguisher
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Team Fortress 2

Fixed Ambassador not using hitboxes to trace against players. It now works like all other bullet-firing weapons in the game

Fixed Ambassador shooting through gates

Fixed Ambassador not critting during the round win period
There we go. Goodbye Wincannon.

Fixed Jarate effect on DX8 machines
Thank christ.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-05-22 18:41:28)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6519|Austin, Texas
Fixed drop ra-
Oh wait.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6410|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Yoda, I freaking HATED that cannon of yours. Plunk plunk plunk, dead. Even when i dodged like mad Makes sense it was using flamethrower hitboxes.

In other news, unlocks still a bitch, I've earned my fourth Sandman in as many hours.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434
If only you could quad-wield unlocks.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

Valve have created a monster. My favourite server is constantly full because of everyone sitting in spectator "earning" achievements. Meanwhile I'm not getting any of my own while playing. Fucking ridiculous.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

SplinterStrike wrote:

Yoda, I freaking HATED that cannon of yours. Plunk plunk plunk, dead. Even when i dodged like mad Makes sense it was using flamethrower hitboxes.

In other news, unlocks still a bitch, I've earned my fourth Sandman in as many hours.
Sorry about all that

It was one of those times when I knew I was using something bugged and overpowered and cheap, but couldn't resist simply because I had it and knew it wouldn't last long.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434
Valve should just disable the need for sv_cheats with host_timescale and be done with it all.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
Well predicted, Master Yoda .

Pretty incredible that Valve let such a high-detail and clearly highly-developed weapon slip through the quality testing phase with such fucked up hitbox registration. It's still a 'flawed' concept in my personal opinion, period. On a base level it does like the pre-nerf Backburner: where that turned Pyro's into Soldier-health charge machines, this turns stealthy and devious Spies into full-frontal damage dealers. Just a shift in playstyle that will take a while to balance around, especially whilst nearly 1/2 the classes still lack their (now muchly needed) upgrades and new abilities.
No/Yes
+14|5941|California, USA
Make the huntsman right handed plz
dill13
+67|6192

still glad i havent played since the update. Cant wait till its playable again to bad my favorite server moved a month or so ago dam hitreg is fucked on that server now.
Tetn1s
+59|6640|Los Angeles
I cant seem to get Friendship is Golden and Number One Assistant.

Why?

Well Friendship is Golden is really easy to get, but its not rewarding me with it.

I know I've done 5 assists in a round, because when I died it said that I got a new record of 6 assists.

and I dont understand Jarate Chop, does that mean 3 in one life? in a round? at once?

Don't flame me for liking to spice up the game by doing the achievements. Atleast im not farming them.

Anybody else having this problem?
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
Noooo.

No more cloak taunt killing.

Oh well...it was fun taunt killing SGs while cloaked and watching the Engies go "wtf m8" while it lasted..
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Well I just spent about 3 hours on a full american server doing Sawmill, Nucleus, and Pipeline, and unlocks were being given out pretty steadily every 3-5 minutes, and everyone had a lot of fun congratulating whoever got it, and wondering who was next etc.

Once you're over the fact that you're going to have to wait to get them, it's a fun system.

In other news while on the server I got the Huntsman, Dead Ringer, and a spare Backburner

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard