ColCarnage
taw
+283|5596
The Thing

9/10 I enjoyed the plot, the fail Norwegian in the beginning of it, and most importantly the insanely special effects.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271

Stubbee wrote:

It should have been called Star Trek Redux because it has so many paradoxes with respect to the other series and movies. Lousy premise but well told which is too bad because the acting was great. Quinto was amazing as Spock and Urban nailed McCoy. It had a lot potential but they blew it.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I also have a problem with a mining vessel having enough fire power to destroy 47 Klingon warships and 7 Federation cruisers. I know it comes from the future but not that far as Spock is not that old What a waste of great acting.
What paradoxes are you talking about?

It takes place a bit after the Next Generation films, so that's quite a jump fowards, and his mining ship is infested with Borg technology, which might account for all the extra firepower.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-05-12 21:39:57)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

ColCarnage wrote:

The Thing

9/10 I enjoyed the plot, the fail Norwegian in the beginning of it, and most importantly the insanely special effects.
Always a great watch. One of the best, if not the best horror movie imho.

I love the "You gotta be fucking kidding me!" part
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

It should have been called Star Trek Redux because it has so many paradoxes with respect to the other series and movies. Lousy premise but well told which is too bad because the acting was great. Quinto was amazing as Spock and Urban nailed McCoy. It had a lot potential but they blew it.
I also have a problem with a mining vessel having enough fire power to destroy 47 Klingon warships and 7 Federation cruisers. I know it comes from the future but not that far as Spock is not that old What a waste of great acting.
What paradoxes are you talking about?

It takes place a bit after the Next Generation films, so that's quite a jump fowards, and his mining ship is infested with Borg technology, which might account for all the extra firepower.
the most obvious paradox is the destruction of the planet Vulcan whose scientists help create future Spock's ship and presumably the means to stop the supernova. So now the supernova is going to happen but no Spock in funky twirling ship to fail at imploding the supernova thus incurring the wrath of the indestructible super dreadnought mining ship. thus no black hole event horizon to send back mining ship to kill Kirk's father yadayadayada.
Time travel/ alternate reality stories always fuck up a series/movie. I think of these stories as 'jumping the shark' <---google it.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6176|Sydney | ♥

I thought ST was pretty goot tbh.

I'll be monitoring your frequency
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Ultrafunkula

Cloverfield

9/10
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Cloverfield

9/10
good shit
Ultrafunkula

Poseidon wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Cloverfield

9/10
good shit
Da, said the Russian.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6654

Stubbee wrote:

the most obvious paradox is the destruction of the planet Vulcan whose scientists help create future Spock's ship and presumably the means to stop the supernova. So now the supernova is going to happen but no Spock in funky twirling ship to fail at imploding the supernova thus incurring the wrath of the indestructible super dreadnought mining ship. thus no black hole event horizon to send back mining ship to kill Kirk's father yadayadayada.
Time travel/ alternate reality stories always fuck up a series/movie. I think of these stories as 'jumping the shark' <---google it.
Last I checked time travel does not work that way in Star Trek. The past can be changed by a future that doesn't exist anymore.

I think it was in Voyager that they ran into a star fleet ship from 2700 or something, and found out all the impossible stuff they could do.

Anyway I liked the movie, it was entertaining, looked good, and the characters were nice too.

Last edited by Lucien (2009-05-19 06:51:05)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6742|OctoLand
Seven pounds

9/10
I know fucking karate
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6723|Sydney, Australia
Wolverine. While still having some cool action and what not, it didn't live up to the hype tbh. 6.5-7/10.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

mcminty wrote:

Wolverine. While still having some cool action and what not, it didn't live up to the hype tbh. 6.5-7/10.
Fuck you it had Deadpool.

I want to see the Deadpool movie tbh. Should be sicker than SARS was.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ
Traitor

8/10

Very good movie actually. Good acting, solid script, the lot.
ƒ³
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Fighting -4/10

What a poor poor movie.
s darko 7/10  the first one is better
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Kobe: Doin' Work - 7/10

The movie is literally Kobe going to work.  I was surprised about the content of the movie, because I guess I thought it would be a little more introspective regarding Kobe's life outside of basketball, but it is solely about how he plays a single game of basketball.  His knowledge for the game and his interaction with his teammates really surprised me, I guess because I never thought about that aspect of Kobe's game.  Highlights include Kobe and Phil calling the same plays (it's been said they are of the same mind) and Kobe carrying on conversations with Sasha Vujacic in Slovenian and Pau in Spanish.

The movie itself is probably boring unless you like Kobe and/or basketball.  I probably would have rated it at like 4, but I love Kobe and basketball.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Cloverfield

9/10
good shit
Da, said the Russian.
i give it maybe a 5/10.  i expect much more from j.j. abrams.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin
Star Trek 10/10 great movie.

Taken 10/10, talk about intense action and great storyline.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271

Stubbee wrote:

As far as I can tell it just doesn't work like that. In the film, everything takes place after everything that happened before. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Vulcan was destroyed. Yeah. It wasn't in the original stuff, but that happened before all this occured. Everything that happened before this film was preserved as 'history'. and then the film happened. It continues onwards, not rewrites history.

No paradoxes there. Just a differen't way of looking at the time travel.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6641|Your moms bedroom
Step Brothers

7/10. Funnier than I thought it would be
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

As far as I can tell it just doesn't work like that. In the film, everything takes place after everything that happened before. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Vulcan was destroyed. Yeah. It wasn't in the original stuff, but that happened before all this occured. Everything that happened before this film was preserved as 'history'. and then the film happened. It continues onwards, not rewrites history.

No paradoxes there. Just a differen't way of looking at the time travel.
Like I said it should have been called Star Trek redux. If they continue with this time line nothing will be the same. FUCK I HATE TIME TRAVEL STORIES.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
That's the point, it's not meant to be the same.

They've managed to start from scratch while still remaining true to the original stuff. I think they've been very clever in achieving this.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6597|Toronto-Canada
The pursuit of happiness   9.5/10  great movie
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya
Yes Man.
8/10

Started off shaky and I had my doubt, but then it picked itself up it was predictable but Rhys Darby (Norman) is hilarious and I think he and carrey worked well together.

(Zooey Deshanel is fucking hot tbh)
too_money2007
+145|6310|Keller, Tx
Sunshine - Danny Boyle - 5/5. Great flick. Will probably be one of my next 3 Bluray purchases.

Going to see the new Terminator tonight, hope it doesn't dissapoint.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard