nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5609|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

FEOS wrote:

nickb64 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Yeah I did think that the IFF should stop them. I have no idea if it's possible to bypass it or not. Still, doesn't sound like these guys would have the faintest idea how anyway. I did read that the FBI said the weapons systems didn't work, but I assume that means they're limited by more than just the IFF.
HAMAS couldn't figure it out to down Israeli Apaches, so I doubt those guys could ever figure it out.
And why would an IR missile have an IFF interrogator? Particularly an IR missile from the 80s?

I'd like to see the source for the "not arming against friendlies" thing. Not because I don't believe it...just don't see how one could put a Mode 4 IFF interrogator (with associated crypto) on such a small missile. Then there's the problem of keeping the crypto up to date so Mode 4 could still be interrogated...
Article Where I got that little tibbit of info: http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribun … _04_02.asp

I also read it somewhere els, but it was no longer available due to it being to old of an article or something.

EDIT:

World Tribune wrote:

"Our gunners couldn't fire the weapon," the source recalled. "A notice came up on the display saying 'friendly aircraft.'"
Industry sources said Raytheon, producer of Stinger, installed identification friend/foe capabilities more than a decade ago. The sources said this would prevent Stinger from being fired against any aircraft used by the U.S. military.

Another Hamas source said gunners deployed Stinger along with heavy machine guns in attacks on Israeli helicopters during the war in the Gaza Strip. The source said one Stinger surface-to-air missile was launched, but the projectile veered off course and struck a Hamas gunner squad.

"The Stinger was drawn by the heat of our guns rather than the engines of the Israeli helicopters," the source said. "At that point, we stopped using this weapon."
Ha, I love it, they wasted themselves accidentally. Maybe they should have done their homework on Stingers.

Last edited by nickb64 (2009-05-21 19:12:53)

NantanCochise
+55|5977|Portugal/United States
Just to think that they thought that they could actually buy stingers inside the US without ringing alarm bells is unbelievable. Idiots, lol.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5609|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

NantanCochise wrote:

Just to think that they thought that they could actually buy stingers inside the US without ringing alarm bells is unbelievable. Idiots, lol.
Gotta love how dumbass would be terrorists can be sometimes.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

JahManRed wrote:

Ahh, so good police work and surveillance.
Careful.. we be waterboredin in shiz to get yo nfo.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PureFodder
+225|6284
Good job US law enforcement!

How were they proposing buying stinger missles in a non suspicious way? Idiots.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Kmarion wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Given they acted alone that seems pretty unlikely doesn't it?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

those damn evangelicals and their crazy religion
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK
Nation of Islam is not Islam.

kthx
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

word
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

nickb64 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

nickb64 wrote:

HAMAS couldn't figure it out to down Israeli Apaches, so I doubt those guys could ever figure it out.
And why would an IR missile have an IFF interrogator? Particularly an IR missile from the 80s?

I'd like to see the source for the "not arming against friendlies" thing. Not because I don't believe it...just don't see how one could put a Mode 4 IFF interrogator (with associated crypto) on such a small missile. Then there's the problem of keeping the crypto up to date so Mode 4 could still be interrogated...
Article Where I got that little tibbit of info: http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribun … _04_02.asp
According to this, the IFF interrogator is a separate piece that attaches to the gripstock (not the missile)...that isn't required to operate the weapon. It can still be operated without the IFF...it's just there as a safety measure, not a weapon safety per se.

Lulz at Hamas for being idiots.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Pubic wrote:

How did they manage to acquire stingers?
An FBI agent said he was going to sell them one.
"Yeah, I'll take a pack of smokes and some stinger missles." .... gotta be an awkward first little bit when you tell someone you want to buy stinger missles...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

ghettoperson wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Given they acted alone that seems pretty unlikely doesn't it?
You took that serious.. Dunno did they? .. lets find out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No amount of foreign warring will make you safe if your domestic security is crap.

That being said, we have quite a border issue, don't we?....   
So you say domestic security is crap...by posting in a thread about domestic security foiling a terrorist attack.

A bit of cognitive dissonance, don't you think?
I think he was talking about your leaky border.
Yep. 
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6586|sWEEDen
There´s a border?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

There´s a border?
lol...  There might not be one in a few generations....
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6586|sWEEDen
Atleast someone got my joke/point... hehe

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard