Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ioan92 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There is no God.
If people choose to believe then let them, it entertaining to hear them talk.
Prove that there is no deity.

What came before the 'Big Bang'? What was the, to use Aquinas' term for it, 'prime-mover' then?
Prove me that you exist.
Prove me that you exist.

Seriously though, I'm starting to think I don't have an opinion on anything when it comes to religion or politics.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

Flecco wrote:

Its not possible to prove something doesn't exist.
If there were one I'm sure he would have given some indication of his existence by now.
Prove me that you exist.
I decline, you can believe in me or not.
But you'd better believe in me and follow my laws or it'll be the worse for you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dilbert_X wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Its not possible to prove something doesn't exist.
I know. Afaik this could all be a solipsism.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Jeez, these intelligent design and creationism people are making the normal (read: not moronic) Christians look like morons.
Ioan92
+337|5692
Here is the thing. Religion is fucking outdated. At their time, people were too fucking stupid to figure out for sure what science answers today. It literally was the science of back then. If we were in that time, you wouldn't have anything else to study and I would of probably STFU'd.

But today its a different thing, Mankind actually evolved and they turned to be bright enough to find out how it really is. This by itself invalidates religion, it is an outdated institution, it does only harm; It makes people stupid, and convinces them to, by example, strap explosives to them and blow up a school full of children while screaming ALLAH AKBAR (which means glory to the GOD iirc.). This thing with religion only splits us.

You have the people who study our world, advance our technologies and such...

... And you have the morons who monopolize human development by spreading their outdated bullshit into the masses and into the gene pool.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

I see. So to believe in God means you don't believe in science. The two cannot coexist. Religion and science are matter and antimatter.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the religious zealots who are the most close-minded...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Ioan92
+337|5692

FEOS wrote:

I see. So to believe in God means you don't believe in science. The two cannot coexist. Religion and science are matter and antimatter.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the religious zealots who are the most close-minded...
Of course there is a middle for fuck sake. I'm talking out those who close their eyes at blatant evidence and keep blabbing their bullshit around.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6322|Troy, New York
Since when does evolution preclude the possibility of an intelligent creator?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Ioan92 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Of course there is a middle for fuck sake. I'm talking out those who close their eyes at blatant evidence and keep blabbing their bullshit around.
Sorry...wasn't pointed at you. I just replied based on the crap I saw in the first few posts.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

h4hagen wrote:

Since when does evolution preclude the possibility of an intelligent creator?
Since some fucktard wrote Genesis. 

I think most modern Christians are coming around to the Bible not being a verbatim book, and have stopped believing the literal Genesis creation.  They have adopted a more middle ground concept of accepting evolution as the means by which God created and molded life as we know it.
Ioan92
+337|5692

FEOS wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Sorry...wasn't pointed at you. I just replied based on the crap I saw in the first few posts.
Its ok.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Classical science bashing. What you obviously don't get is the processes by which science and scientists derive certain things. Which is something I recommend you and any other dumbass looks into before stating something stupid. Something like this wasn't necessarily preserved as soft tissue for 68 million years, although as proven at the time of discovery, in a case like this the mammoth was completely frozen over and sealed off from everything that could decompose it/destroy its tissue. But they also have bone marrow from a dinosaur fossil bone (forget what species) that was completely dried out obviously, but when some liquid was added the tissue became resilient again.
My example wasn't a mammoth.  This "soft tissue" was found from the femur of a T-Rex in Montana.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … issue.html

"Finding these tissues in dinosaurs changes the way we think about fossilization, because our theories of how fossils are preserved don't allow for this [soft-tissue preservation]," Schweitzer said.

Typical dinosaur fossilization is premineralization, the complete replacement of the original matters with minerals.  Finding flesh and fur from a frozen mammoth is one thing (from humanoid history), but finding the original tissue from a 68 million year old dinosaur?  That's some preservation.  I don't deny the existance of dinosaurs.  I just don't believe this find was from 68 million years ago.

Science is an ever "evolving" field, and prior thoughts and beliefs are constantly challenged, disapproved, and re-approved.  Just because 99.999999999% of people believe something doesn't make it so.  At one point, people didn't know the existence of quarks, or Quantum Physics for that matter.

Last edited by Ilocano (2009-05-20 14:25:19)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
One fossil is the death knell for religion.

This fossil proves the totality of evolution all by itself? 

Last edited by Stingray24 (2009-05-20 16:15:44)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York

Stingray24 wrote:

So now it matters how small something is? It's significant. You can try to write it off all you want.

I'm sure you would be telling all the atheists here how wrong they were if a small rock enscribed "god wuz here" with absolute proof that he wrote it was found in Jonestown or something.

Also, overly excessive use of emoticons = cruise control for cool/totally makes people take you seriously.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

So now it matters how small something is? It's significant. You can try to write it off all you want.

I'm sure you would be telling all the atheists here how wrong they were if a small rock enscribed "god wuz here" with absolute proof that he wrote it was found in Jonestown or something.

Also, overly excessive use of emoticons = cruise control for cool/totally makes people take you seriously.
Ziiiing.

One single book is enough to justify an entire lifestyle of devotion and self-sure narrowminded belief?

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Ziiiing.

One single book is enough to justify an entire lifestyle of devotion and self-sure narrowminded belief?

I was gonna say that too, but I thought the rock analogy worked a little better.

Hive mind though, kinda creepy Youzeek.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Good thing the religion of Gnostan does not have these contradictions.
Stingray24

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The uproar over this is hilarious to me, whether you take me seriously or not matters little to me.   

There are many other things that are far more convincing in the theory of evolution.  After all, we already have monkeys which, according the evolution, are far more like us than this fossil, yes?  Evolution does not disprove religion and religion does not disprove evolution.  I've always found it interesting to watch people who use evolution as their kryptonite against religion in situations like this.  The conjecture surrounding their latest treasure is far deeper than that which they criticize in people who are religious.  The irony is beautiful.
Stingray24

Uzique wrote:

I simply questioned the significance of this fossil, is that what earned me this insult?  Looks like you're more like the religious people you despise than you want to believe.  After all, you use one single theory to keep God at bay ...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Stingray24 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The uproar over this is hilarious to me, whether you take me seriously or not matters little to me.   

There are many other things that are far more convincing in the theory of evolution.  After all, we already have monkeys which, according the evolution, are far more like us than this fossil, yes?  Evolution does not disprove religion and religion does not disprove evolution.  I've always found it interesting to watch people who use evolution as their kryptonite against religion in situations like this.  The conjecture surrounding their latest treasure is far deeper than that which they criticize in people who are religious.  The irony is beautiful.
We're all just apes, lost in the vastness of space, searching for the true golden banana. All we know is that it's not a race, and no one is ever going to reach the finish line...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Stingray24 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I think you assume that I don't believe in God. I do. I just have my own way of believing, and that includes believing in evolution.

It's just funny how you write it off just because it's a fossil. It's EXTREMELY significant. For you to write it off just like that and not even give a serious response pretty much proves that you've put your fingers in your ears and told yourself that you and your religion are right, and everyone else is wrong.
Stingray24
I write it off because I see no reason that this is more significant to evolutionary theory than primates, who are closer relatives according to the theory.  You think it's significant and that's fine.  I don't.  Is that ok?  That doesn't automatically mean I don't leave room for evolution in my beliefs.  I claim no corner on knowledge and wish the rest of you here would do the same.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
I don't think it's significant, I just like the seeing the Dawkins camp clash fervently with the pious Pope-camp over the most silly inane little things. Insert earlier quote: "We're all just apes, lost in the vastness of space, searching for the true golden banana. All we know is that it's not a race, and no one is ever going to reach the finish line...". Not that it was a good or profound quote, just that I'm a Huxley-style agnostic and prefer to passively not give a shit about bones or books.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-05-20 17:03:11)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I never said it was more significant. I just said it was significant. Which it is. It's a missing link within the theory of evolution which helps prove it even further. Again - try to write it off all you want, but doing so is futile. Just because something is less substantial evidence than something else doesn't mean it's invalidated..

That's like ignoring the fingerprints on the door because there are fingerprints on the gun. Makes no sense.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Why do you guys still not consider that creationism and evolution are in fact the same thing?

Same threads over and over with nothing but the same two dogmas.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-05-20 17:07:58)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard