Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5563|The Wild West
what about Bill Pullman and Randy Quaid?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6621|949

Man With No Name wrote:

I love how that movie is so absurd the President and a drunkerd crop-duster are both flying fighter jets at an alien ship.
mcjagdflieger
Champion of Dueling Rectums
+26|6299|South Jersey

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

I love how that movie is so absurd the President and a drunkerd crop-duster are both flying fighter jets at an alien ship.
hahahahhaha look up the alternate ending to it....Quaid was flying the crop duster at the end, and pulled the same vertical climb into the ship as he did with the F-18. (Edit...with a fucking missle strapped under his stearman hahahhaha)I love him in that movie..."I can fly, I'm a pilot".
"Russel you sprayed the wrong field you idiot!" "Are you sure?" LOfuckingL

Last edited by mcjagdflieger (2009-05-15 17:51:54)

BVC
+325|6684
Another problem with replacing manned fighters with UCAVs is network latency, or ping.  Since we've all played BF2 I'll assume ping/latency needs no explanation.

A human operator in the aircraft is able to react instantly, wheras if the drone's video signal is going through the airwaves - possibly via satellites - theres an additional time delay which the human operator has to deal with.  Depending on the transmission medium, the added latency could be anything from 20ms to 500ms - the later is likely in case of satellite control.  Now I've never flown a plane and have never been near anything to do with drones but I do know a thing or two about networks, so take what I say as you will.  In cases where reactions are paramount, moving the human from the cockpit to the desk will be a bad thing, unless you like giving a head start to your opponent.
csmag
+92|6436|Canada

S3v3N wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

Modern fighters are fly-by-wire aircraft.  They are inherently unstable or borderline stable.  They need computers to keep from crashing.  Computer technology is not the main factor in the UAV vs manned aircraft debate.  The ability to jam the signals to UAVs may be of concern against a modern foe, but not in the type of conflict we are currently fighting (I think the topic merits a close examination, by the USAF). 

Most pilots admit UAVs are valuable and needed, but don't want to be the ones controlling them!

Right now, UAVs cannot conduct things like dogfights.  The operators simply do not have the same sensory information as they would if they were in the aircraft.
just wondering, when was the last dogfight?
'Nam.. or the early Eighties if you count Top Gun.
In 1991 over Iraq, An EF-111 flew an Iraqi mirage f1 into the ground. Does that count?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

Absurd...but fun.

Pubic wrote:

Another problem with replacing manned fighters with UCAVs is network latency, or ping.  Since we've all played BF2 I'll assume ping/latency needs no explanation.

A human operator in the aircraft is able to react instantly, wheras if the drone's video signal is going through the airwaves - possibly via satellites - theres an additional time delay which the human operator has to deal with.  Depending on the transmission medium, the added latency could be anything from 20ms to 500ms - the later is likely in case of satellite control.  Now I've never flown a plane and have never been near anything to do with drones but I do know a thing or two about networks, so take what I say as you will.  In cases where reactions are paramount, moving the human from the cockpit to the desk will be a bad thing, unless you like giving a head start to your opponent.
I'm fairly certain that inconvenient ping isn't as huge of a concern as the lives of pilots at risk from weaponry exceeding the capabilities of a manned aircraft.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-15 19:51:09)

san4
The Mas
+311|6677|NYC, a place to live
Future unmanned fighters may not look like today's fighters. Imagine a swarm of a hundred 5-foot-long minijets with rocket boosters, each one packed with C4. A swarm like that could be pretty effective at achieving air superiority. They could also provide close air support with kamikaze C4 dives on enemy tanks and positions. And good luck to enemy surface-to-air missiles shooting down a hundred tiny planes.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5563|The Wild West

san4 wrote:

Future unmanned fighters may not look like today's fighters. Imagine a swarm of a hundred 5-foot-long minijets with rocket boosters, each one packed with C4. A swarm like that could be pretty effective at achieving air superiority. They could also provide close air support with kamikaze C4 dives on enemy tanks and positions. And good luck to enemy surface-to-air missiles shooting down a hundred tiny planes.
and operation sea lion will finally come into play
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6399|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

UAVs aren't really unmanned, they are just piloted by remote.
wtf??? why don't they just have the people in them pilot them?
Pilots these days are pussies and don't like the unnecessary risk of death it places upon them.
My sarcasm meter is broken.

Please tell me you're not serious.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5563|The Wild West
well not all pilots.  Army pilots are pretty hardcore.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6403|Finland

Well this opens up whole can of possibilities.

You can deploy manouvering countermeasures that would normally be impossible because human body cannot take it.

You can also start deploying electronic jamming in more wide scale to counter the threat of unmanned jets.
Race of electronic jamming vs EM protection. 

I can see were this is going. Operator will eventually control a whole squadron on bombers/fighters.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6663|Canberra, AUS

Lotta_Drool wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

UAVs aren't really unmanned, they are just piloted by remote.
Um... because they're not inside them?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
JahManRed
wank
+646|6617|IRELAND

They won't be unmanned as such. They will be remotely piloted probably. Read somewhere that the technology is all their. Its the data transfer that's the current problem. Say you want 100 jets in the air. The satellites can't stream that amount of data back to HQ.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6403|Finland

JahManRed wrote:

They won't be unmanned as such. They will be remotely piloted probably. Read somewhere that the technology is all their. Its the data transfer that's the current problem. Say you want 100 jets in the air. The satellites can't stream that amount of data back to HQ.
Not to talk about possible electronic jamming fucking up the  data stream.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England

S3v3N wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

Modern fighters are fly-by-wire aircraft.  They are inherently unstable or borderline stable.  They need computers to keep from crashing.  Computer technology is not the main factor in the UAV vs manned aircraft debate.  The ability to jam the signals to UAVs may be of concern against a modern foe, but not in the type of conflict we are currently fighting (I think the topic merits a close examination, by the USAF). 

Most pilots admit UAVs are valuable and needed, but don't want to be the ones controlling them!

Right now, UAVs cannot conduct things like dogfights.  The operators simply do not have the same sensory information as they would if they were in the aircraft.
just wondering, when was the last dogfight?
'Nam.. or the early Eighties if you count Top Gun.
No way, they must've been some in both Iraq wars. I dunno you guys might be having different definitions of what a dogfight actually is

I remember reading that a MiG-25 recently shot down a UAV in Iraq, well not recently, during Invasion time

In December, an armed Predator was downed in a dogfight with a manned Iraqi MiG fighter - another first.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/04/ … 1126.shtml

I'd imagine if you could just plonk on a good enough missile and radar onto a UAV and make it stealthy you won't even need to do any of the aerial moves etc..

I mean should the F-22 ever go toe to toe with some planes it probably wouldn't even need to pull off anything drastic to take them all out from far away due to a mixture of stealth, AWACS, good onboard radar, other jets, and the BVR missiles themselves

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-05-16 08:21:12)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6638

FEOS wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Pilots these days are pussies and don't like the unnecessary risk of death it places upon them.
My sarcasm meter is broken.

Please tell me you're not serious.
I was going to be abusive to the first guy that asked that, but since you asked so nicely I won't be mean. No I'm not serious. It'd be like joining the army and getting pissed off when you occasionally have to go to a warzone. You don't join the airforce to have your cockpit replaced with a bunker hundreds of miles away from the action.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5984
I just got shortlisted for the ADF Airforce Gap year program, all my plans to be a pilot are now ruined.
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5967|Blue Mountain State

Hakei wrote:

I just got shortlisted for the ADF Airforce Gap year program, all my plans to be a pilot are now ruined.
Infantry
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6211|Escea

Instinct will be lost with full automation.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6703|US
To the question about the last dogfight:

NO CONTEST: AERIAL COMBAT IN THE 1990s
Dr. Daniel L. Haulman
Air Force Historical Research Agency
2002 Version wrote:

During the 1990s, U.S. Air Force pilots shot down 48 enemy aircraft. In the same decade, enemy pilots shot down not one
U.S. Air Force aircraft.
I'm not sure about OIF...

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-05-16 14:07:30)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England
Just cos no plane shot down the US doesn't mean there wasn't any dogfights

Just that yous guys won them all
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6703|US
There WERE dogfights.  That's what I'm saying. 
People who think dogfights are a thing of the past are just like the fools who thought future combat would be missile only at BVR, in the 1950s.  (Which is a large part of why the USAF had a kill ratio of less than 3:1 in Vietnam, instead of the over 10:1 ratio of Korea.)
Commie Killer
+192|6376
Arent most planes protected against EMPs? I know jamming can knock back the radar and disrupt communications, but Im pretty sure onboard systems are protected, cockpit is at least I think(gold overlays and what ever).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

As for dogfights, I'm willing to imagine that a great deal of manuevering will be 'assisted' by on-board computers. Also, the fact that there would probably be more aircraft involved would work in tandem to help even the odds against 'ping.'
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6695

AussieReaper wrote:

Human error will be a thing of the past.
Sarcasm?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard