FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
HOLY FUCK IT WAS SO FUCKING AWESOME!

Wow. Just... Wow. I loved it.

I have never seen an episode of Star Trek in my life, by the way, I always thought it was kinda lame. This film is seriously amazing, though.

Go watch it. NOW!

Anyone else seen it? Am I over-reacting? Cos I'd say it's the best film I've seen all year, and possibly in a few years.

Thinking of starting to watch the whole series... But I already have South Park and Scrubs on the go...

Should I start watching the series?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5759|Catherine Black
I saw it yesterday, was good, but you're over-hyping it. Don't make it the new Transformers.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Yeah I'll probably go and watch it, same I've never watched Star Trek ever, all I know is that it had a decent looking black chick and that's about it
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah I'll probably go and watch it, same I've never watched Star Trek ever, all I know is that it had a decent looking black chick and that's about it
Yeah you really don't need much background info on Star Trek.

Other than when they say warp it goes SWOOSH!

I didn't expect it first time and the noise gave me a fright
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

My mom wants to go see it with me and my sis on Sunday (mothers day).

awsum mom is awsum.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Wreckognize
+294|6455
I've never seen anything else Star Trek (Star Wars FTW), but I enjoyed the movie.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
Seen all the television series and most the films.

I can't wait, it looks awsm.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
I will reiterate:

FFLink13 wrote:

HOLY FUCK IT WAS SO FUCKING AWESOME!
Good, good movie. Entertaining as hell and didn't piss on the series. The only character I didn't particularly like how they cast was  McCoy. Scotty and Checkov were .

Spoiler (highlight to read):
The Uhura/Spock thing was kinda fucked up though. I was not really sure why that was necessary.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

I watched it, it was good except that:

destroying planet vulcan fucked the time line of the original series, and hence the entire ST universe. Why would you do that?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

ATG wrote:

Seen all the television series and most the films.

I can't wait, it looks awsm.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
zeidmaan
+234|6385|Vienna

I saw it yesterday and its a great movie.

Good story, very good acting from almost everyone, just enough humour added to give you a good laugh every once in a while.
Visually its quite stunning and not just the special effects which are totally awesome, but cinematography in general.

There are a couple of jaw dropping scenes, like parachuting from orbit

And can someone tell me where are the damn shields on the ships?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

zeidmaan wrote:

I saw it yesterday and its a great movie.

Good story, very good acting from almost everyone, just enough humour added to give you a good laugh every once in a while.
Visually its quite stunning and not just the special effects which are totally awesome, but cinematography in general.

There are a couple of jaw dropping scenes, like parachuting from orbit

And can someone tell me where are the damn shields on the ships?
invisabel
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6590|Auteuil, Laval
Well done!
Loved it!
After the 1st jump, wow the wreckage galore!!!
The inflatable Kirk got me laughing hard. 
The scene of his enrollment was good too.
A lot of other epic scenes.

Despite some facts from the story line, which any/most S-T fan wouldn't have agreed to, the spin they give it was well thought. 
I'm ready to follow the new breed.
8.5 to 9/10 as a fan.

There was not much people in the theater yesterday night at the last show it was not even half full.
I hope it has more success down south.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6714|Reality
As a Trek fan since the 70, I thought it was ok in parts. I HATE the story though (see Reaper's spoiler). My family wanted to see it (daughter thinks young Capt. Kirk is HOT). I knew I would not like it.

The whole story is a 'What if'. It has NOTHING to do with the Trek universe as it is portrayed in the 3 previous shows and 10 movies. ( Yes i know there was a 4th show but since NCC-1701 was the supposed to be the first star ship named Enteprise, I have NO frikken clue where the 4th show's Enterprise came from.) The people responsible for the the Star Trek universe are real dumbasses for allowing these stupid shows/movies to be made. There are so many stories from great authors worthy of Trek and they had to pick a frikken 'What if'.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6512|Sammamish, WA
Just saw it. After watching all of the TV series [plural] (with the exception of the majority of Voyager...yech!) and the movies I have to say that it was a near miss. The movie ALMOST captured the essence and feel of Star Trek...but not quite. The acting was excellent (especially the guy who played Spock...right on!), the visuals were of course awesome...but the writing! Terrible!! They sped through the movie, glossing over important transitions and character development:

I very much doubt that a bunch of fresh-out-of-academy cadets could take over senior positions on a starship immedaitely! Plus, Kirk still acted like an immature kid. While some of the classic Kirk character retains that immaturity there was no growth shown at all to this one, despite his experiences during the movie. The worst, though, was when Kirk, stows away onboard. Out of the blue he manages to get the commanding officer (Spock) removed on a technicality after clearly proviking him, and now the entire crew trusts him and follows his leadership? They didn't see Pike promote him to first officer and had no idea that anyone in Starfleet had the least bit of confidence in him. There wasn't even a hint (besides the quip from Uhura) of them being reluctant to follow him. That was a bit too much for me to swallow.

It was clear that the production team's goal was to create a modernized Star Trek that today's audiences would eat up while simultaneously trying to be faithful to the Star Trek "experience." In the process, unfortunately, they left behind some very important aspects of the show. For one, Star Trek (the original and to a great extent some of the later series) was about social commentary and about the human condition. It was a big deal, for instance, that the first interracial kiss on TV happened on Star Trek. Those themes were entirely absent from this movie. Also, it felt to me like they focused on flashy special-effects, sets and action sequences and left out the good writing, carefully constructed plots, character exposition and development, and the many nuances of acting that normally made the TV series [plural] great.

So in the end I had a great time watching the movie. I will probably buy it, I enjoyed it so much. But despite the hard work that went into making this movie a Star Trek film, it doesn't quite do justice to what Star Trek really is about.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2009-05-09 19:44:00)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Just got back from seeing it. It was awesome fascinating. I loved how the characters were played ..  this was either going to be a nightmare or great for me.. it was great.

green woman sexy time is teh best.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
It's JJ Abrams.

It's already a 10/10 from me.

I'll probably see it this week.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6681|Sweden
If i recall the director said this was not a trekker movie it was a movie for everyone so i assume they have allot of eyecandy with a large amount of witty oneliners. Not that i mind i never was much into Star Trek.

Btw i want to trade mom with you Kmarion.
Volatile
+252|6675|Sextupling in Empire

Anyone else annoyed with the excessive use of lens flare in JJ's work?

Other than that, it was enjoyable.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

It was one of the few ST movies that had a silent space Spoiler (highlight to read):
when that chick got thrown out of the ship and stopped screaming but I could have sworn you still heard lasers go pew pew.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
psh Kmarion is days behind
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

did i duplicate?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
Nah, just being an old geezer. Jesus, dinosaur, riding, etc.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Nah, just being an old geezer. Jesus, dinosaur, riding, etc.
hush up kid
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard