+877|6533|South Florida
well my dad mom and step mom would say 'believe in what you want"
15 more years! 15 more years!
phishman420
Banned
+821|5689
my mom lives in the 21st century

also, religion is for the weak-minded

Last edited by phishman420 (2009-03-26 11:37:07)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK
fasting would become a whooooooooooooooole lot easier.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5689
whoever karmad me: looooooooolllllllllllllllllll
rdx-fx
+955|6599
Let's see..
My family has Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans, Mormons, ex-Mormons, Atheists (Me), Agnostics, a Wiccan (nee Mormon, nee everything else), a Zen-Buddhist (more like "Granola Crunching Hippie with Spiritualist tendencies", that one).

Someone converted to strict sharia-law or wahabbiist Muslim, we'd probably disown them with a quickness.

Someone converted to Scientology, we'd probably have an intervention.
Followed by a serious dose of deprogramming and rehab.

Tolerance and acceptance of different viewpoints is one thing.
Turning a blind eye to people that preach death or slavery to unbelievers, and actively act on those teachings, is just dumb.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6689|Disaster Free Zone
Probably laugh.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6743|Salt Lake City

My family would probably be happy that I claimed to believe in something besides human stupidity.
skipper2666
Go Canucks Go!
+13|6322|Canada BC

Superior Mind wrote:

How would your family feel if you converted to a new religion?

I just asked my dad "What would think if converted to Islam?" He responded with "Where would you be living?"
Sums up my rents.. they're hardcore Christian and even if we  dont go to church we got to live somewhere else...
sad fish
+7|5698|California

S.Lythberg wrote:

place a call to the nearest catholic church to get me exorcised
Same here, and they'd probably say I have to stop listening to "satanic" music.  I LIKE LISTENING TO AMON AMARTH AND WINTERSUN, LEAVE ME ALONE!
Lai
+186|6158

Superior Mind wrote:

Pug wrote:

If you feel strongly enough about it, explain to him why.

I'd like to know why too btw...
Oh, I don't actually want to convert to Islam. It was hypothetical. The only situation when I would care to convert would be to marry someone who's family required it. Somehow I don't see myself getting too involved with a hard core Muslim girl.
You never know, but if she's real hardcore her family will likely be too and marrying an outsider won't do even if you convert.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

Lai wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Pug wrote:

If you feel strongly enough about it, explain to him why.

I'd like to know why too btw...
Oh, I don't actually want to convert to Islam. It was hypothetical. The only situation when I would care to convert would be to marry someone who's family required it. Somehow I don't see myself getting too involved with a hard core Muslim girl.
You never know, but if she's real hardcore her family will likely be too and marrying an outsider won't do even if you convert.
wat

Converts are respected by other Muslims. Generally knowledge of the Qu'ran is far more imporant than whether you were born into a family that practices or converted later in life. There was a doco about two of Australia's fundamentalist female Islamic converts. One had even been detained by ASIO on suspicion of terrorist activities after spending a few years in Afghanistan. Think the nabbed her because she's married to one of the suspected high rankers in AQ. Both came from good ol' white christian farming families from the rural areas.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
SealXo
+309|6543

Poseidon wrote:

I was an atheist for about a year. My family didn't really care. We've never been religious.
Lai
+186|6158

Flecco wrote:

Converts are respected by other the majority ofMuslims.
I'm talking about those muslims that aren't even tolerant of other muslims (by 'birth'). Most of the times it doesn't even really have to do with religion at all, but can be considered some form of fanatic tribalism. There are Kurdic examples were one isn't even allowed to marry a muslim from a different region even if both parties are Soeni or Sjiite.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

Lai wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Converts are respected by other the majority ofMuslims.
I'm talking about those muslims that aren't even tolerant of other muslims (by 'birth'). Most of the times it doesn't even really have to do with religion at all, but can be considered some form of fanatic tribalism. There are Kurdic examples were one isn't even allowed to marry a muslim from a different region even if both parties are Soeni or Sjiite.
Yeah. Got a book on the subject of honour atm. Very interesting arguments put forward and reasonably insightful. Particularly interesting is the mentions of Islam's integration into the tribal honour cultures of Central Asia and parts of the Middle East.

It's relatively recent so you might not have heard of it. Honor, A History by James Bowman. An American author, fairly talented and draws from a huge range of sources to back up his argument.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I was an atheist for about a year. My family didn't really care. We've never been religious.
rofl.

You don't transiently 'become' an atheist and then decide otherwise, this is a fucking annoying use of an annoyingly overused term. If you're an atheist you reject all spirituality and everything non-rational; that is, you fundamentally turn away from all curiosities of the religious and theological kind. You can't just reconvert back to religion after declaring and coming to the decision that religion and 'faith' isn't so bad after all. You were an agnostic with curiosities and uncertainties - at best - not an atheist.
Why not?

People do. Take C.S. Lewis as an example.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard