warlord2000ad
+11|6537
[13 Jan 07 - Version 8.4]

[For reference, the latest patch is 1.41 and can be downloaded here - http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=32030 ]

[This Topic will not be locked so feel free to post suggestions, updates, solutions to other problems, so this FAQ can be amended]

[Due to Serveral Requests to have this posted elsewhere, please feel free to copy this FAQ in all or part, or just link to it. All i ask is that im mentioned in it somewhere for compiling a forums worth of solutions ]

[When a new Version is created, this FAQ will contain a link at the top to the updated Version so remember to check back at http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26653]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[size=18]Battlefield 2 Community Technical FAQ by Warlord2000ad[/size] @ EAUK Games Forum

Having trouble with Battlefield 2 https://bf2tracker.com/Images/smilies/ranting.gif Yes, Then try reading below to see if it can help fix some of your problems!

Contents

General Install/uninstall Help

1. How to manually uninstall Battlefield 2 + (Booster Packs)
2. How to manually uninstall Battlefield 2 : Special Forces
3. General Error during install
4. My DVD/CD is broken/damaged

General Battlefield 2 Issues

1. Memory Sanity Errors
2. If you don't have a microphone, and your getting connection problems at the start of round
3. All Radio Voices in English
4. Modified Content Error
5. How do i see my in game Frames per Second
6. CD/DVD drive not recognising disc
7. Battlefield 2 Play Now Shortcut
8. Can't uninstall/re-install BF2 (includes EF)
9. Cannot move once server loaded
10. Key is already assigned, Duplicate Control already in use
11. I hear a Crackling Sound whilst playing the game
12. Increase ingame FPS past 100
13. Getting BF2 to work with All Seeing Eye
14. Getting BF2 to work with Xfire
15. What Ports do i need open for Battlefield 2
16. Getting Joystick POV Working
17. Widescreen Guide for BF2
18. Co-op not appearing in Create Local server page after installing 1.41
19. Stick/Laggy Keyboard mouse movement
20. Laggy play on 1.4 Patch
21. VOIP disabled when ingame
22. BF2 Rebooting frequently

General Special Forces Issues

1. CDkeycheck.exe error when installing/playing
2. Can't uninstall/re-install SF.
3. Mods/bf2/shaders/lightning.fx not found

General Booster Pack Issues

1. It stays i have not brought Euro Forces, but i have!

Account Issues

1. PC Freezes of Connecting to Account Server
2. I have forgotten my password
3. I need to change my User-name
4. I need to Change by password/email address on my account
5. My Stats are all messed up!
6. I earned x points or badges, they not showing in BFHQ
7. I got my missing medals, but i have not been promoted
8. How do i delete my account
9. Connection Refused at login to account server
10. Taking along time to login

Patch Issues

1. What Order do i Install patches?
2. Patching Failed
3. Not Enough Space

Performance Issues

1. Lag or Constant Disconnects from the Sever
2. Slow/Stuttering performance in Battlefield 2
3. Possible Improvement Fix for BF2/PB (inc ingame browser)
4. AMD Dual Core Fix
5. Lag Reduction Tips
6. Creative X-Fi Sound card causing Lag

Crash to Desktop Issues

1. Crash to Desktop on starting Battlefield 2
2. Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server
3. Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server (1942 Issue)
4. Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server  (Anti-virus Issue)

CDKEY Issues

1. Invalid CDKEY when trying to join a server
2. I've lost my CDKEY

EA Downloader Issues

1. "CORE" Error is displayed when starting EA Downloader
2. I paid for my Game, but its not showing up for download in the EA Downloader
3. Workaround for using on a non Windows XP Operating System
4. Unable to authenticate download
5. EA Desktop Client has encountered a problem and needs to close
6. How to backup SF/EF/AF Downloads

Punkbuster Issues

1. How to Update PunkBuster
2. Reduce the Number of Punkbuster Checks
3. Inadequate O/S Admin Privileges Error

Problem not listed, Help! / Common Soutions to many problems

If your problem has not been listed above, read this section on common list of solutions to try to see if it will resolve your issue.

Community Recommend Maintenance Programs

1. Adware/Spyware Tools
2. Defrag Tools
3. Registry Tools
4. Diagnostic Tools
5. Anti-Virus
6. Firewall
7. General Maintenance
8. Graphic Card Drivers

Useful BF2 Links

Some useful links related to BF2
Weapon Comparison Website
The infantry weapons guide
BF2 Tweak Guide
Battlefield 2 Optimization Guide
Battlefield 2 Widescreen Guide
Anatomy of Controls.con

Solution Explanations

Quick explanation about some of the more well used solutions for those that are interested.

Official EA Support

See End of Post / http://support.ea.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warlord's Warnings wrote:

[size=18]WARNINGS
Some parts of the FAQ mentions changing files. Sometimes this can fix the problem, other times it can create a new problem. Therefore you should always back up files before editing them. An example of this is to move your Battlefield 2 folder, found in My Documents, to the desktop, instead of deleting it. If anything in the FAQ requires you to change a file, first back it up somewhere safe so you can replace it if necessary!

The Main warning, Registry editing is dangerous, so as with everything, you should make a backup before changing it! To do so open the start menu, and select run, type RegEdit, and press ok. Click file, then export, and save the file somewhere safe with a suitable name, i.e. your desktop. This is a backup of your registry.

If you find that you did mess up while editing the registry, you will need to import the backup, by selecting File, then import, from inside RegEdit.

In addition, some Windows operating systems allow you to create a System Restore Point. To do this open the Start Menu, and then navigate to All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore  [/size]

[size=18]General Install/uninstall Help[/size]

Problem - How to manually uninstall Battlefield 2 + (Booster Packs)
Cause - N/a
Fix
- Goto http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … faqid=8986
And follow the onscreen instructions

Problem - How to manually uninstall Battlefield 2 : Special Forces
Cause - N/a
Fix
- Goto http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … aqid=11150
And follow the onscreen instructions

Problem - General Error during install
Cause - N/a
Fix
- There can be several issues that prevent a reinstall. So first, clean your install disc to ensure it works ok (perhaps even use a proper disc cleaning kit/repair kit). if the issue still occurs, try the disc in another computer. if the same issue occurs, contact http://support.ea.com or ring ( 0870 243 2435 (UK)) describing the issue and the steps you have already taken. The disc might be damaged and you may require a new Disc. If you purchased Battlefield 2 from new and is under 12 months old, and you can prove it with a receipt EA will replace the CD/DVD free of charge, otherwise there will be a cost of £7.50 (correct at time of posting).

Problem - My DVD/CD is broken/damaged
Cause - N/a
Fix
- It is possible for the disc to break if you are over zealous at getting the disc out of the case, to avoid damage you need ot be very careful, although i personally recommend you find a more fogiving means of storing you disc either in a less vicious case or in a CD/DVD wallet.
However, if it is now broken. If you purchased Battlefield 2 from new and is under 12 months old, and you can prove it with a receipt EA will replace the CD/DVD free of charge, otherwise there will be a cost of £7.50 (correct at time of posting).

[size=18]General Battlefield 2 Issues[/size]

Problem - Memory Sanity Errors
Cause - Serial-ATA drives and Wrong Drivers
Fix
- The "Memory Sanity" error seems to be being caused by Serial-ATA drives not having the correct motherboard drivers installed. Please check your drivers if you are having this problem. This is the only known fix but i do have reason to believe it does not always help, if so you could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

Problem - If you don't have a microphone, and your getting connection problems at the start of round
Cause - No Microphone
Fix
- Will happen on servers with VOIP enabled. Turn off your VOIP, in BF2 Audio Options.

Problem - All Radio Voices in English
Cause - Option in Battlefield 2
Fix
- Should be a simple fix, go into your Battlefield 2 Audio Options, and uncheck English only voices.

Problem - Modified Content Error
Cause - Your Battlefield 2 Files differ in some way than the servers
Fix
- Few things to try and get this Fixed.
1. Move your Battlefield 2 folder from My Documents to your Desktop

2. Make sure you have the latest battlefield 2 patch installed

3. Try and update PunkBuster, to do so use the program, pbsetup, found at this website

4. Try re-downloading the latest patch from a different website and install it again, maybe several times tyring each time to see if it has worked.

5. Do a manual uninstall of battlefield 2, instructions on how to do this can be found here
Then reinstall Battlefield 2 and apply the latest Full Patch.

6. You could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

Problem - How do i see my in game Frames per Second
Cause - n/a
Fix
- There is a in-game command to show your FPS, Press ` key (next to number 1) type in, renderer.drawfps 1
(Don't forget the space.) Alternatively you can use a 3rd party program called FRAPS.

Problem - CD/DVD drive not recognising disc:
Cause - Mostly likely Nforce4
Fix
- nforce IDE SW Driver issue, either clean Hard-Drive of nforce drivers, install new and select 'No' when prompted to install the IDE SW Driver or if you go into your device manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER, most likely under here anyone with an NFORCE 1, 2, 3, 4 board will have Nvidia Nforce* ATA CONTROLLER - pick update driver and pick NO and pick Install from List then DON'T SEARCH and in the list you should see all the Nvidia items and STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER. Choose STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER and you should be good to go.

If it does not show in the Window then you can UNCHECK Show Compatible and then you'll see the Standard on the left choose this and that's it

Problem - Battlefield 2 Play Now Shortcut
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Not a fix, just a warning. never use this shortcut, not only does it search for a server straight away in many cases a empty server. It can lead to battlefield 2 been very slow to load up. just use the normal Battlefield 2 shortcut to play the game.

Problem - Can't uninstall/re-install BF2 (includes Booster Packs)
Cause - Unknown
Fix
- Only advice that can be given is to do a manual uninstall, full instructions on how to do this can be found Here

Problem - Cannot move once server loaded
Cause - No Controls Setup/ Corrupted Control.con file
Fix
- Nice easy fix for this, load BF2, goto Options, controls. Then reset all controls to defualt. This will rebuild your control.con file and allow you to move and do stuff ingame again.

Problem - Key is already assigned, Duplicate Control already in use
Cause - Key may be in use, or BF2 Glitch
Fix
- 2 fixes. Either reset controls to defualt and try again. If after a few attempts that fails, Edit the control.con file manually. You may find reading this useful to help you manually edit the file Manually Editing Control.con File .

Problem - I hear a Crackling Sound whilst playing the game
Cause - Sound Driver / Directx
Fix
- First try updating Directx from the Microsoft website.
If that does not help and on a audigy card, try using the driver from here
Choose number 2 for the openal support
Then  copy ct_oal.dll and openal32.dll from the windows/system32 folder into C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 folder. Then rename the bf2openal.dll driver to e.g. bf2openal.orig and rename openal32.dll to bf2openal.dll.

Another solution is;

If you are experiencing this issue there may be a corruption with one of the Punkbuster update files. Some users have had success in replacing the corrupted file.

First you will need to click on the pbcl.dll file and download it to your desktop.

Next you will need to replace this file with the one in your Punkbuster folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer.
Double click on the C: drive.
Next open Program Files folder.
Next open EA Games folder.
Next open Battlefield 2 folder.
Next open the bp folder.
Right click on the pbcl.dll and select rename.
Rename this file to pbclbackup.dll.
Download this File, save it to yourdesktop
Next drag and drop the pbcl.dll from your desktop into this folder.
Once this is done restart your game and try again.

Also see Solutions,
Punkbuster Issues| How to update Punkbuster
As completeing this may help also.

Problem - Increase ingame FPS past 100
Cause - BF2 coded limit
Fix
- Press the ` key, (next to the 1 key, and above tab)
Type in renderer.drawfps to see your fps, (optional)
to unlock the FPS, type in game.lockFps 0

Problem - Getting BF2 to work with All Seeing Eye
Cause - BF2 coded limit
Fix
- Go to your ASE directory (default C:\Program Files\The All-Seeing Eye) and open up filters.txt. Search for "battlefield 2" and here's what you should have:

Code:
Battlefield 2

ServerType: GS
RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\INSTALLDIR
ExeName: BF2.EXE
JoinTemplate: {EXEPATH} +restart 1 +joinServer {ip} +port {port} [ +password "{PASSWORD}"]
HostTemplate: {EXEPATH} +restart 1 +hostServer 1

Now, change the JoinTemplate line to this:
Code:
JoinTemplate: {EXEPATH} +joinServer {ip} +port {port} +username yourusername +playerPassword yourpassword [ +password "{PASSWORD}"]

Note that what you did was remove the +restart 1 and added +username yourusername +playerPassword yourpassword, of course replacing yourusername and yourpassword with your, um, username and password.

Once you join a server through ASE, you will bypass the login menu for BF2 and the game might seem to freeze for a bit with the EA message. Just wait a few seconds and BF2 should start loading your new map!

Note : that a filters update in ASE will clear your modifications.

Problem - Getting BF2 to work with Xfire
Cause - BF2 coded limit
Fix
- Close Xfire (system tray > click right on Xfire icon > exit).
Go to the Xfire directory (probably c:\program files\xfire)
Open the file xfire_games.ini in Notepad
Search for the line LongName=Battlefield 2
A few lines below that line you'll see Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
Change this to Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% +menu 1 +username yourusername +playerPassword yourpassword +fullscreen 1 %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%

So if your username is "tpfguy" and your password is "teamplay", it should be Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% +menu 1 +username tpfguy +playerPassword teamplay +fullscreen 1 %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%

Problem - What Ports do i need open for Battlefield 2
Cause - Firewall
Fix
- Battlefield 2 Account Creation
NOTE: In order to create a Battlefield 2 multiplayer account, you must have the following ports open in your firewall.

Client Ports:

UDP 27900
UDP/TCP 29900
TCP 80
TCP 4711
TCP 29901
UDP 1500-4999
UDP/TCP 1024-1124
UDP 28910
UDP 16567
UDP 55123-55125

Hosting a Battlefield 2 Server
In order to host a Battlefield 2 server, you must have the following ports open in your firewall.

Server Ports:

UDP 27900
UDP/TCP 29900
TCP 80
TCP 4711
UDP 27901
UDP 1500-4999
UDP/TCP 1024-1124
UDP 29900
UDP/TCP 27900
UDP 16567
UDP 55123-55125

Problem - Getting Joystick POV Working
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Read this http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72603, if the post is missing/deleted read below.

To download some of these files, you will need to be logged in at the TBF2 Forums.

JoyToKey:
A hard to find 3rd party application which can give all sorts of insane new functionality (most notably - mouse movement/button) to your joystick...ANY joystick. The original author's website no longer exists, at least not in English anyway. So here is the only most recent English support mirror I can find: here

With JoyToKey, you only have to move the hatswitch for mouse looking..you don't have to hold down any other key or joystick button. You basically achieve the effect that should have originally been included.

That is what makes my method so sweet

If anybody wants the latest version of the program (3.7.9), there is a mirror here: Download jtk379en.zip

If you do not want to set the application up yourself, then download my collection of configuration files, shortcuts, and a batch file to get it all running: Download JoyToKey.zip

1. Copy contents of JoyToKey.zip to C:\Program Files\JoyToKey
2. Run JoyToKey.bat

When you launch the included .bat file, it will launch 2 instances of JoyToKey to your tray with the full setup. I have included the 2 config files I use with my MS Sidewinder Precision 2 to achieve the one-motion mouselook. You can check them out to see how I did it, or you can ask here and I can help. All I had to do was load 2 instances of JoyToKey and set each instance to use one of the 2 configs so that both configs are running simultaneously. It may sound a little confusing, but this is already done for you if you installed my config files.

You'll also notice that I have it set up so that you can use the Commo rose and voice communication while flying  Nice added bonus

Hold down button 5 to:
-use the hatswitch to change camera views and change jet weapon loadouts
-use button 6 to eject
-use button 7 to voip chat with squad.

Hold down button 8 to:
-use the hatswitch for the commo rose
-use button 1 (trigger) to select the command.

Here are config files specific to the Logitech 3D Pro joystick (thanks to RingMasTeR): 3DPro_Config.zip

If you have multiple joystick devices and need to change your joystick ID numbers around so that your main joystick is detected as 'Joystick 1', then download this app: JoyIDsInstall.exe

And for anybody wondering...for my personal setup, I use a modified version of what I have posted above. I have been tweaking over the past year and I have found my best setup. It's quite complicated:
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7950/joystick0mm.jpg

Files
JoyToKey.zip
3DPro_Config.zip

Problem - Widescreen Guide for BF2
Cause - BF2 not Supporting Widescreen
Fix
- From http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78473

Well I saw a lot of people asking and this will just end all the question topics. Its very simple however most people don't know how to do it. The only downside to this is it will cut off a little bit off the top and bottom. However its so little you can't even tell and doesn't remove any of your GUI.

So this is what you need to do:

Right click on your Battlefield 2 icon on the desktop, click on properties on the part where it says target, add +szx 1920 +szy 1200 (Or whatever your resolution is). So it looks like this ...

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

NOTE: Some may also need to do this however only do this if the first fails. In most cases this can be ignored but I have seen some that need this.

Navigate to: "My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default\Video.con"

Find line: VideoSettings.setResolution 1600x1200@75Hz (Or whatever your resolution is at)

You can either change this line to something like 800x600@60Hz, or just stick "rem " in front of the whole mess so that it is ignored by BF2. (You'll be overriding it with shortcut parameters anyway)

Problem - Co-op not appearing in Create Local server page after installing 1.4
Cause - Custom maps
Fix -
Removing all custom maps from your C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Levels should resolve the issue. If you do not wish to remove your custom maps, you can temporarily move the custom maps to another folder, then move them back when needed.

[Problem - Stick/Laggy Keyboard mouse movement
Cause - ATItools, maybe others
Fix -
- Some users have reported that ATItools 0.25, possibly other versions cause sticky/laggy keys in BF2. TO fix this,  uninstall this application from your PC.
Other things to try are a reinstall of BF2, Updating your keyboard drivers if nessecary, have the keyboard plugged into its own USB port.

Problem - Laggy play on 1.4 Patch
Cause - Dodgy patch
Fix
- Download, and apply the full 1.41 patch, availible from here

Problem - VOIP disabled when ingame
Cause - VOIp software / Game Server
Fix -
The server might not have VOIP running on the server so it might be disabled for that reason. Addtionatly it has been noted that running VOIP software like ventrillo can stop VOIP from working in game. So check if the server has voip enabled, if it does and you are still having problems, check you do not have any VOIP software running in the background.

Problem - BF2 Rebooting frequently
Cause - Unknown
Fix -
Reboots are generally down to hardware rather than software.

In my opinion, General rule of thumb if a manual uninstall of BF2 (see FAQ / http://support.ea.com doesn't fix the issue, BF2 is not to blame)

Things to check mostly would be drivers, insure they are installed and up to date, check device manger in control panel - system. And check all devices are ok, i.e. no missing drivers or disabled devices.

Keys things to updates are
AGP drivers (if using agp)
Direct x (from MS website)
Windows Updates
Motherboard Drivers (may include AGP driver if necessary but i know my old mobo didn't and that caused me issues after a format of the pc)
Graphic + sound card drivers.

[size=18]General Special Forces Issues[/size]

Problem - CDkeycheck.exe error when installing/playing
Cause - bad File
Fix
- Download this http://files.ea.com/downloads/eacore/BF2SFRegFix.zip and make sure EADownloader isn't open, then re-install BF2/SF with the latest patch.

Problem - Can't uninstall/re-install SF.
Cause - Unknown
Fix
- Only advice that can be given is to do a manual uninstall, full instructions on how to do this can be found Here

Problem - Mods/bf2/shaders/lightning.fx not found
Cause - Possible bad install/patch
Fix
- First Try applying the latest full patch from here
If that doesn't work, Move your BF2 folder from my documents and put it on your desktop and repatch. If that still fails, goto;

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2

Exact Shaders_client.zip into the

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\shaders

Folder and see if that helps.

[size=18]General Booster Pack Issues[/size]

Problem - It stays i have not brought Euro Forces, but i have!
Cause - Need to Assign Euro Forces to Your account.
Fix
- Detailed Diagrams Here
You need to open EA Downloader, click on Euro Forces, then Click on Change gamespy Nickname. In The following screen that appears, enter in the name your Battlefield 2 Account which you would like to play Euro Forces on. There is a limit to the number of times you can change the account Euro Forces is assigned to per week.

If on WIN2K and hence the downloader does not work try this Link

Click on the link that says 'Edit GameSpy Nickname', log in with your EA.COM account that you used to buy EF and change the BF2 login to whatever you like.

[size=18]Account Issues[/size]

Problem - PC Freezes of Connecting to Account Server
Cause - Firewall
Fix
- Either disable your firewall(s) or allow BF2 to have internet access. Zone-Alarm is notorious for been the cause of this as its allow/deny message is hidden under Battlefield 2 where you cannot accept it.

Problem - I have forgotten my password
Cause - ...
Fix
- If you go to www.gamespyid.com, you should be able to use your log-in details to retrieve your password (more details soon)

Problem - I need to change my User-name
Cause - Many
Fix
- None, the user-name is not changeable, from the 1.03 patch and onwards it is possible to add a prefix but your user-name cannot be changed, without starting a new account.

Problem - I need to Change by password/email address on my account
Cause - Many
Fix
- Go to www.gamespyid.com and log-in to that website with your battlefield 2 log-in details. You will be able to use that website to update your account details including email address and password.

Problem - My Stats are all messed up! - Example
Cause - Usually just a glitch in Battlefield 2
Fix
- Restart Battlefield 2, this usually fixes this problem, if not move your Battlefield 2 folder from my documents and put it on your desktop. Reload Battlefield 2, retrieve your account and see if your stats are now correct.
If not, it may be a matter of waiting a while as the stats server may be down.

Problem - I earned x points or badges, they not showing in BFHQ
Cause - Lag, server failed to report them, slow updates
Fix
- There is no fix, you basically have to wait. If you have not received the missing stats within one week then the server you played on failed to report them to EA and hence you will not get them, an annoying issue indeed but the situation has improved vastly since the release of Battlefield 2.

Problem - I got my missing medals, but i have not been promoted
Cause - Many
Fix
- The ranks in Battlefield 2 are not progress as it has been put. You earn your rank based on your points and medals at that time, you will then only next be promoted when you reach the next point bracket. For example, if you are a  Master Sergeant and earn the missing awards required for First Sergeant, upon getting them you will not be promoted. The next promotion would be at Master Gunnery Sergeant (50,000 points), but if you have the needed badges you would be Sergeant Major. For more information on Ranks visit - Ubar Ranks at BF2S

Problem -How do i delete my account
Cause - n/a
Fix
- You can delete the profile from your computer by selecting the account at the login screen and pressing delete.
However if you want to delete it some the gamespy system there is a untested method you can try.
1. Open up Gamespy Arcade and click login wizard.
2. Then put in you various details for you BF2 account
3. It should show you the account name etc
4. Select it and click next and login
5. Then logout and select your account/profile form the drop down menu
6. Then click in top left of screen Gamespy/Delete Profile
7. Fill out the stuff and it should delete you BF2 account and your various Gamespy accounts.

Problem - Connection Refused at Login to account server
Cause - Access blocked
Fix
- First thing to check is your firewall and anti-virus and make sure they are allowing the connection. You can try disabling them for a short period of time to see if it allows the connection. If not re-enable them.
This issue might be your ISP switch/routing may be blocking access to www.gamespyarcade.com, if this is the case you may need to ring your ISP to check this.

Problem - Taking along time to login
Cause - Many
Fix
- First of it could be slow internet connection or a problem with the account server. However try this to see if it reduces the login time. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000*, In there find the file called general.con and make a copy of it on your desktop as a backup. Now open the general.con file in my documents with notepad, and delete all server-history and server-filter.
GeneralSettings.setServerFilter ""
GeneralSettings.addServerHistory

[size=18]Patch Issues[/size]

Problem - What Order do i Install patches?
Cause - N/a
Fix
- Going as 1.41 is the current patch you do as follows for the simplest route;

Battlefield 2
Special Forces
1.41 Full Patch
Euro Forces
1.41 Full Patch
Armoured Fury
1.41 Full Patch

Please ignore expansions and booster packs you do not have, in addition the reason for the 1.4 Full patch been installed twice is that, before you can install Euro Forces you must have the 1.2 patch or higher, but since the 1.4 Patch fixes bugs in Euro Forces its necessary to reapply it after a Euro Force install, as the Euro Force install will override fixes from the first 1.4 Patch install.

Problem - Patching Failed
Cause - System Dependant
Fix
- The Exact cause is not really known in most cases, some people have more success in patching when using the FULL patches instead of the Incremental ones. In addition, the patch may be corrupt when downloaded so if you have problems try downloading it from several different sites to see if it works with any of them.

You could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

There is a possible fix Here which you may wish to try.

Additional information can be found here

It may be caused due to lack of space on the hardrive, look at the next Problem/fix below in bold labeled "Not Enough Space"

The following solutions came from http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13224 , More may become available in due time on that forum.

Check BF2 InstallDir is setup correctly
1.Go To Start > Run > Type "regedit" (without quotes)
2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2
3. Then right click on the right hand window and go on NEW string value,then enter InstallDir for the string name and for the value enter D:\GAMES\Battlefield 2 (If String already exists, just edit the current one)
Or where ever you have BF2 Installed.

Another thing to try is

Execute Patcher, Choose language, wait for welcome screen, don't hit continue.
go to your documents folder and to this location:
c:\documents\YOUR USERNAME\local settings\temp
and look for a folder which looks like {BLAH....} lots of numbers and chars. Go into that folder structure and copy the files in it (e.g. patch.exe, all the files) to a folder where you can execute them (e.g. create a dir named C:\temp)
then open a commandpromt (type "cmd" in run/execute at startmenu) and go to your new created folder with the patchdata. Execute the with the following line (edit to your installfolder location of course):
patch.exe "c:\FolderWhereBF 2Is"

Problem - Not Enough Space
Cause - Need more space on your System Drive
Fix
- The patches now require roughly 3GB of free space on your Hard-Drive, it will not usually look where Battlefield 2 is installed but on the drive where your operating system is installed.

But there's a workaround, (Important, Before changing the registry, read Warlord's Warnings just below the contents page at the top of this FAQ)

Open regedit.exe and search for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

It points to "C:\Program Files" by default. If you change the value to "E:\Program Files", the patch will look for 3000 MB free space on drive E instead of C.

So Change it to look on a Hard Drive that has enough space for the patch to run. After the patch is completed, change the registry key back to what it was before you edited it.

[size=18]Performance Issues[/size]

Problem - Lag or Constant Disconnects from the Sever
Cause - System Dependant
Fix
- Since this is system dependant or could be cause by several issues, i will list possible fixes.

1. If running a Dual Core processor, load up Battlefield 2, press alt-tab to go to your desktop. Open up task Manger by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL Once! Then right click on BF2.exe and set its Affinity to 0, Basically this tells it to use only processor 0, not 0 and 1.

See AMD Dual Core Gaming Fix Guidefor more indepth solutions for Dual Core users.

2. Go to your BF2 Audio options, and disable VOIP. This can help in some cases.

3. Run Adware/Spyware Scans on your PC to remove unwanted software running in the background. Recommended tools for this are;
Adaware
Spyboy : Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
Spyware Blaster

4. Check your firewalls are not the cause of the problem. Try disabling them such as Windows Firewall, Zone-alarm, and ones inbuilt into Anti-Virus programs. You could also try disabling your Anti-Virus as well to see if it increases performance. This should only be done as a test to see if it helps and that if the Firewall/Anti-Virus is the cause of the problem, once you have tried it remember to turn your firewall/anti-virus back on.

5. If on a Wireless router try plugging it directly into the internet, to see if your lag is been cause by a bad router or interference.

6. In BF2 Audio Options, try running software mode instead of hardware mode.

7. if on a wireless connection this may make it better/worse, or do no change.
Once a connection is established go to run and type "services.msc". Scroll down until you see "Wireless Zero Configuration" and click stop.

8. Try updating PunkBuster, Use the program, pbsetup, found at this website to update Punkbuster

9. Change your BF2.exe file and rename it to BF.exe, or basically something different than BF2.exe (Update shortcuts if necessary) On some systems this can provide a performance increase as the graphic card will treat it as a normal game and not run any special optimizations which can actually reduce performance

10. Reduce number of PunkBuster checks

To do this you need to:

1. OK, the first step is very simple, join any BF2 online server which is running Punkbuster, preferably a ranked one.
2.  Once you are in, and re-spawned somewhere, press the ` key. This key is located on most keyboards above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key
3. Once you have pressed this, a large white box should drop down with a load of text in it. Type pb_sleep 500 and hit the enter key
4. Once you have done this, make sure the box is still up and type pb_writecfg to save your settings

11. [Advanced Users Only] - (Important, Before changing msconfig startup or services, read Warlord's Warnings just below the contents page at the top of this FAQ) Type in msconfig in the run box, and disable unnecessary start up items to try and free up more ram/CPU, this can be more effective than using task manger to close them after start up. In addition check your services in Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services and use this guide to determine what is/not needed. Do note that editing services is about as bad as editing the registry so use extreme cation!!!

Also you can disable the Windows XP visuals to reduce ram/CPU usage, although Windows will look more like Windows 98 you may want to try it.
Right click on My Computer|Properties|Advanced|Performance|Settings for Best performance. This disables all the neat Windows XP looks and makes the PC that little bit faster.

12. You could try upgrading your internet to a faster speed, or connect to servers closer to your location

13. Disable/Add BF2 to DEP

To turn it off do this

Right click on my computer
Select properties
Select the advanced tab
Select performance options
Select the data execution prevention tab
Add BF2.exe to the list of exceptions OR turn DEP off completly.
Reboot

Problem - Slow/Stuttering performance in Battlefield 2
Cause - Several possible Causes
Fix
- This can be caused by several things so here are a list of things to try and improve its performance.

1. Check that your PC can handle Battlefield 2 at your current settings. Graphical lag can often be caused by not having enough RAM to play the game.

Low Settings - 1GB Ram
Med Settings - 1.5GB Ram
High Settings - 2GB Ram

In Addition you will need a processor and graphic card capable of handling the game at the higher settings.
So try lowering your settings to see if performance improves.

2. De-frag your Hard-Drive

3. Try cleaning out your shaders and cache, to do this, go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 and delete the shaders,
next go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\LogoCache  and delete the cache.
Try Battlefield 2 again to see if it is better, if not, move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, this put the game onto default settings, as well as cleaning out its cache and shaders again.

4. Run Adware/Spyware Scans on your PC to remove unwanted software running in the background. Recommended tools for this are;
Adaware
Spyboy : Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
Spyware Blaster

5. Use this Program - PCI Latency Tool. Download and install it. Use it to try setting your graphic card latency to 64 or 128 if it is at a higher number. This can help Improve performance on some systems.

6. Use task Manger to close down unnecessary background tasks, also turn off/disable you anti-virus and firewalls to see if they are the cause of the problem.

7. Re-Install the latest version of Directx from the Microsoft Website, then move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, and see if it helps.

8. Use Driver Cleaner to remove your old graphic card drivers and install a new set for your graphic card, then move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, and see if it helps.

9. Check the bios to see if you have given the correct about of Memory to the AGP slot if on a AGP card, i.e. 256mb of Memory if its a 256MB card. On some systems this may help on others, it may not help but just use up more RAM.

10. In BF2 Audio Options, try running software mode instead of hardware mode.

11. Disable/Add BF2 to DEP

To turn it off do this

Select properties
Select the advanced tab
Reboot

Problem - Possible Improvement Fix for BF2/PB (inc ingame server browser)
Cause - Bad PB File
Fix
- Just something to try to see if it helps

Make a backup of your current pbcl.dll in the BF2/pb folder, and then replace the file with this one:

http://web1.evenbalance.com/downloads/bf2/pbcl.dll

May address several performance issues

Problem - AMD Dual Core Fix
Cause - BF2 not supporting Dual cores
Fix
- Go Here and download the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer , Released June 2006.

Problem - Lag Reduction Tips
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Although mostly already covered in this FAQ, a post at BF2s may prove useful for some - http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=22556
Standard things to check are that nothing should be interfering with your internet, such are your the only one using it, you are not using the internet in background tasks like downloading files, you have done adware/spyware scans on the PC. Mostly basic stuff.

However there is a possible tweak that may help some people. Some say it does help, others say it does not. It is a inbuilt function of BF2 that doesn't work correctly, it should auto adjust but instead predict your lag to be about 100 all the time.

NOTE - PB can be configured to scan for these changes and some servers may prevent you from joining if you have them in your con files.

Rathe rather bore you with a re-write in my own words, refer to the following 2 sites

http://bf.geeksnet.org/?page=news&id=2624

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=47186

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6393

Problem - Creative X-Fi Sound card causing Lag
Cause - Unknown
Fix
- For some it can help, if you rename BF2.exe to something else, such as BF.exe, BF3.exe etc Remember if youc hange the exe name, you will need to update yoru shortcut sucha s those in startmenu and desktop.
If this doesn't help try the following 3 links for addtional info

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs … e.id=34909
http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthre … amp;page=2
http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=32919

[size=18]Crash to Desktop Issues[/size]

Problem - Crash to Desktop on starting Battlefield 2
Cause - Several Possible Causes
Fix
- There is no fix known to work for everyone, merely a list of possible things to try to resolve the issue;

1. Rename the Movies folder in your Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 folder to Movies2, to skip the start up Movies which can be the cause of the Problem.

2. Move your Battlefield 2 folder in My documents and put it on your desktop. When loading BF2 Again it should force it to create a new one using default settings.

3.Go here
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001
and here
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Defualt
Or get there from using my documents on desktop.
Open the video.con file with notepad and change the line
VideoSettings.setResolution ????x?????@??Hz (???? are your settings)
to
VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz

4. Check you have no software forcing a set refresh rate, if you do disable it.

5. If on a AGP card, try running at 4x speed instead of 8x speed. I believe ATI users can change this in there ATI control panel, or use the ATI panel in display settings. You can access display settings by right clicking on your desktop, then clicking properties.
For Nvidia users it may be necessary to set it in the bios.
By doing this the loss of FPS is very small, but you can significantly improve the systems stability

6. Check on your graphic card control panel that everything is set to application controlled to see if it helps.

7. Re-Install the latest version of Directx from the Microsoft Website

8. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open up task manger. make sure that the process ~5.0001 is not running. If it is, end task it and try again.

9. Use Driver Cleaner to erase your old Graphic Card drivers, then update to a more recent or stable version of graphic card drivers for your graphic card.

10. Disable/Add BF2 to DEP

To turn it off do this

Select properties
Select the advanced tab
Reboot

11. A new Idea from the EA US BF2 Forums, is to goto

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings

Open up VideoDefault.con with notepad, and set

renderer.setFullScreen 0
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to

renderer.setFullScreen 1
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

Do the same with C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\xpack\bf2\Settings VideoDefault.con if you have Special Forces.

12. Disable VOIP, for some people this can stop crashes and hard reboots.

13. UltraVNC (and possibly other remote administration tools) can install a "mirror driver" to enhance it's network performance. This item is displayed in the Device Manager as an additional Display Adapter. While installed, this driver causes BF2 to crash to the desktop just after showing the splash screen.
Re-installing UltraVNC without using the mirror driver works without a problem.

Problem - Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server
Cause - No CDKEY in Registry
Fix
- Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
After re-entering your CDKEY you must then reapply the latest patch in order for it to be encrypted into the registry.
This Program can also be used. (Note - This Program appears to do nothing visually, but it did change the registry key)

Problem - Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server (1942 Issue)
Cause - Uninstalling BF1942 on a system that has BF2 on it.
Fix
- You must remove BF2 manually and reinstall it. Here's how: (modified slightly from EA's instructions to preserve settings/config):

Save your settings/configs:
* Open My Documents, rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 previous"

Delete the game files:
* Find your installation of Battlefield 2 (default: c:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2) and delete it.

Remove registry entries:
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on Run.
3. Type regedit in the text field.
4. Click File and then choose Export.
5. Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
6. Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
7. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
8. Click the plus sign next to Software.
9. Click the plus sign next to DICE.
10. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
11. Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
12. Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
13. Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
14. Click the plus sign next to Windows.
15. Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
16. Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
17. Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} and choose Delete.
18. A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
19. Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.

Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Re-installation:
1. Reinstall Battlefield 2
2. Apply latest patch
3. Open My Documents, Rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 old" (this is the freshly installed settings directory which you may want to keep just in case).
4. Rename "Battlefield 2 previous" (your settings before BF2 stopped working) to "Battlefield 2"

Problem - Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server (Anti-Virus Issue)
Cause - Punkbuster conflicting with Kaspersky AntiVirus(maybe others)
Fix
- There is no current Fix for this problem but if your Battlefield 2 crashes to Desktop after a clean Reinstallations try to remove Kaspersky antivirus from your system. Currently Kaspersky V6 causes this issue, Kaspersky V5 appears to be OK so far.

A possible Kaspersky V6 fix is,

* remove KB917422 (windows update file) , to remove goto control panel, add/remove programs/check show updates, remove the update.

Kaspersky has a problem with this update and can cause issues in game.

[size=18]CDKEY Issues[/size]

Problem - Invalid CDKEY when trying to join a server
Cause - Unencrypted CDKEY or bad Key
Fix
- First Try this Program
If that does not help, Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
After re-entering your CDKEY you must then reapply the latest patch in order for it to be encrypted into the registry.

Problem - I've lost my CDKEY
Cause - ...
Fix
- The following, only works if you regestered the game at install.
Goto https://account.ea.com/myacct/view-acct … m%2Fealink
Login
Click My Games
And there are the CDKEYs for all registered games on the account, inc BF2.

However, if you did not registered, and still cannot find it try the following.
There is a way for you to get a new CD Key/CD Disk. All you need to do is to call EA Support on 0870 243 2435 (thats if you are in the UK). If you are not in the UK then please follow this link to find your local EA Support Center.

In addition have your Battlefield 2 CD at the ready, as there is a number on the CD which you can tell the tech support team and they should be able to retrieve your CDKEY from that.

[size=18]EA Downloader Issues[/size]

Problem - "CORE" Error is displayed when starting EA Downloader
Cause - Internet Explorer 7 Beta / Old Drivers
Fix
- You must uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta, as only Internet Explorer 6 is supported by EA Downloader.
To do this,
Open Control Panel
Open Add/Remove Programs
Click "Show Updates" at the top
Scroll down the list and Find Internet Explorer 7,
Uninstall it.

It has been reported that old Motherboard drivers can cause issues as well. Update your Motherboard drivers (Bios, Chipset etc) and see if it helps. In addtion you can also update you other drivers for say sound, graphics card whilst you are at it

Problem - I paid for my Game, but its not showing up for download in the EA Downloader
Cause - Ordering Error
Fix
- This is a very rare error, and can only be addressed buy the official EA tech support staff. Please check the details on how to contact them at the bottom of this post.

Problem - Workaround for using on a non Windows XP Operating System
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Ok folks...it's long and messy but at least it works !

1. On a computer with XP, download EF.

2. Once done, hit the 'Install Now' button in EF. This will decrypt the downloaded files.

3. Once you see the 'Choose install language' screen don't continue with the install.

4. If you go to \\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Downloader\cache\*EA LOGIN*\eagamesbf2-2006online_map_contentbf2euro\

you'll find the setup files for EF. Copy these to a CD/DVD/USB key (352mb].

5. Copy the files to your W2K machine and install EF

6. Browse to this web address

Click on the link that says 'Edit GameSpy Nickname', log in with your EA.COM account that you used to buy EF and change the BF2 login to whatever you like.

7. Play EF

NOTE :

a) You need access to a PC with XP so you can download and install the EA Downloader.

b) This PC with XP doesn't need to have BF2 installed.

c) You don't need the E-AD to change the login associated with EF as all it does is open up a webapage. The Downloader is just a 'front' for IE6.

d) I hope I haven't forgotten anything but if it doesn't work then just reply !

Problem - Unable to authenticate download
Cause - Anti-Piracy measure
Fix
- If you get this error "Unable to authenticate. Please try again, if the problem continues then server might be unavailable try again later"

Then wait 48 hours from the last time you had it before trying again,

Problem - EA Desktop Client has encountered a problem and needs to close
Cause - Unknown
Fix
- No real fix, but something to try to see if it works for you.
Log out of the internet (may need to plug it out from the PC physically)
Install EA Downloader
Run the Downloader, hopefully you will not get a error, but may take some time to load. Enter your username and password, You will get a server unavailable message. Now, reconnect to the internet. Then it should log you in ok.

Problem - How to backup SF/EF/AF Downloads
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Use this to backup your EAD Downloads, as there is a limit of 10 downloads per product. Also saves you having to redownload them everytime.

Goto where you installed EAD and look in the cache, i.e.

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Downloader\cache

Backup those folders in the cache as they are your downloads. DO not edit the folder names or anything. Back them up where you like usb pen, CD, DVD etc.

When you next reinstall EAD, just put your backed up folders back in the cache.

You must also backup your .eam file in your cache folder. this contains your registry files for EA Downloader and your downloaded games.

[size=18]Punkbuster Issues[/size]

Problem - How to Update PunkBuster
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Use the program, pbsetup, found at this website

Problem - Reduce the Number of Punkbuster Checks
Cause - n/a
Fix
- Punkbuster, as you probably know, is the anti cheating software which comes bundled with BF2 and is required to play on all ranked servers and most public servers. Punkbuster scans your hard-drive for problems every 20 seconds. As you may have guessed, this causes a lot of lag. What we are going to do in this fix is to increase the amount of time in between punkbuster checks to 500 seconds (the maximum amount so don't try anything higher). By the way, in case you were worried, this is 100% safe with punkbuster, and will NOT cause any problems with Punkbuster thinking you are a cheater. Punkbuster even recommends this fix on their website.

To do this you need to:

1. Ok, the first step is very simple, join any BF2 online server which is running punkbuster, preferably a ranked one.
2.  Once you are in, and respawned somewhere, press the ` key. This key is located on most keyboards above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key
3. Once you have pressed this, a large white box should drop down with a load of text in it. Type pb_sleep 500 and hit the enter key
4. Once you have done this, make sure the box is still up and type pb_writecfg to save your settings

Problem - Inaduquate O/S Admin Privileges Error
Cause - Limited Windows Account
Fix
- You need to play Battlefield 2 on a Windows Account that has administrator privileges.

[size=18]Problem not listed, Help! / Common Soutions to many problems[/size]

So you worked your way down to here, got a problem and its not listed above. First thing to check is EA Support to see if it is listed over there, if not. try these below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Move your Battlefield 2 folder from My Documents and place it on your Desktop

2. Re-apply the latest Full Battlefield 2 Patch

3. Try disabling your firewall/anti-virus and try playing again to see if the problem has stopped, if not re-enable your firewall/anti-virus as its not advisable to leave yourself unprotected.

4. Re-Add your CD-KEY by using battlefield2_code.exe located in your Battlefield 2 support folder. After re-adding your cdkey run this program or reapply the latest full Battlefield 2 patch.

5. Battlefield 2 is memory heavy, lots of reading/writing so faulty RAM can easily cause Battlefield 2 problems, try running Memtest86 to check your RAM for errors, in addition you can try taking out RAM and have just one stick in the machine to see if it helps, or move them around the RAM slots.

6. Do a manual uninstall of Battlefield 2 (and Specail Forces) and reinstall Battlefield 2 then apply the latest patch, see if you still have the issue.

7. Use Driver Cleaner to remove old graphic card drivers, and install a more stable graphic card driver.

8. Update as many drivers as possible. Although usually your Motherboard (Bios, Chipset, etc), Video and sound drivers are most important. There shouldn't be much harm if not improvement in updating other along the way.

Last edited by liquidat0r (2007-02-27 11:34:46)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6716|Houston, TX
Definitely worth a sticky.  Hope this helps members out.

KJ
Defiance
+438|6641

Holy fucking shit! All my karma are belong to you!
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
lol, it shouldn't. I started this back in January, been updating it since. Posted in a  few places, this was 1 place i forgot about lol

(boo, need more posts to karma back)
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
lol just found one of my old versions posted in the normal bf2s forum, and credited to EA for writing it lol
Septimius2
+9|6439
ok this just helped me out.. mainly the deleting the shaders folders and the logocache folders...

and while i am able to run on high and all... looks pretty.. i set my comp to run at medium with 4X AA...  holy crap! i started hitting people with my shots again!!... running and leading and woot!! i was hitting them!!  lol

im so happy.. maybe not.. i got to and clean out the garage... and feed my kids... and... well... duties of a 37 year old single parent with 3 kids....  maybe i can set up some claymores....  jk
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
This FAQ is slightly out of Date, latest one was updated on 27th Auguest http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26653
BuzzLightB33R.dk
+1|6414
Problem - Crash to Desktop when trying to join a online Server.
Cause - Punkbuster infliction with Kaspersky AntiVirus(maybe others)
In some cases Kaspersky AntiVirus and Punkbuster for BF2 will cause BF2 to Crash to Desktop.

There is no current Fix for this problem but if your Battlefield 2 crashes to Desktop after a clean Reinstallations try to remove Kaspersky antivirus from your system

Please add this to your FAQ.
BUG found by me (BuzzLightB33R)
and believe me if had many fustrations over this problem reinstalled ten times, removed PB (which worked, but No online play ), installed it agian with the official installer, and none of it worked.

Btw. sorry if some of the words are misspelled, no one is perfect ;-).
I hope this will help some of you out there.
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
i read about this before but it never got added, didnt strike me at the time, but today i saw a post about this at EAUK http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=29239 , and it reminded me of it before. Certainly worthwhile been added.

edit, you got BF2S added to the bottom the the FAQ now as a resources where info came from

Last edited by warlord2000ad (2006-09-07 04:31:26)

warlord2000ad
+11|6537
A possible Kaspersky V6 fix is,

* remove KB917422 (windows update file) , to remove goto control panel, add/remove programs/check show updates, remove the update.

Kaspersky has a problem with this update and can cause issues in game.

From EAUK Forums
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
Now updated to V7.1
pvtron
+0|6426
I've been playing for sometime.  No issues.  last week I started game, logged in, chose a server, game loaded, got to kit choice screen and no mouse or keyboard recognition.  Since I have defragged, ran anti virus numerous times, ran adaware numerous times.  Start with firewall off.  Start with firewall on.  Start with A/V off.  Start with A/V on.  Start with both on/off.  Always the same result--Get to kit choice screen--cursor frozen in center of screen.  Only way to get out is Ctrl/Alt/Del.  Any ideas???
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
I don't check here often, but the usually answer is reset to defualt controls in bf2 options, as the control.con file may be corrupt. this should be listed in the FAQ, but it appears ot be missing, i blame the EA forum for not updating correctly

EDIT i found it, BF2 issues, 9. Cannot move once server loaded

Last edited by warlord2000ad (2006-11-11 05:27:30)

kushmaniac
+5|6347|west los cali
hey guys whats up...? im having trouble here with my bf2. i cant loggin to my name on battlefield 2, its says error on listening socket... wtf is that, someone help me out IM me on aol or something [email protected]
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
I would advise you start your own topics for your issue if you cannot see a solution, that way you will probably get more support. As to your issue i would assume some ports are been blocked by your firewall/router. Ensure the ports mentioned in the FAQ are open to allow connections.
warlord2000ad
+11|6537
Version 8.1 Up , now.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6598|UK
I took the liberty of updating this to Version 8.4 for you.
jan
+0|6818|GMT -5
Keep in mind that client ports are OUTGOING only.
SnyperWiper
+4|6617|Germany
... and look here for some more basics:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=95634
1MaNArmY
+2|6768
damn CD key is invalid issues

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard