Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6436|The Land of Scott Walker
Just heard on the news the 3 pirates were sniped ... nice work Seals.
Lai
+186|6142
+999 for the US and A for this beautifully executed hard piece of hostage rescue, and that does mean a lot coming from an imperial European =P

Mekstizzle wrote:

No, the French have actually done it a few times including one just recently, where they managed to nab a few pirates but also a French hostage was killed
The French have achieved multiple known successes recently; there are without doubt a lot more non recent and/or unknown successes. The fact that the Legion doesn't like media is what makes them so badass. That, and Sarko rekindling oldschool French policy in general.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6412|Melbourne, AUS
Nice work by of the Navy sharpshooters.

But the pirates have 'vowed revenge' on Americans in further hijacks. Maybe it is time to land a UN force in Somalia to establish and stabilise a government? It seems piracy is only going to get more severe as long there is anarchy in Somalia and Puntland especially.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

maffiaw wrote:

But the pirates have 'vowed revenge' on Americans in further hijacks. Maybe it is time to land a UN force in Somalia to establish and stabilise a government? It seems piracy is only going to get more severe as long there is anarchy in Somalia and Puntland especially.
Somalia is one of those places that is beyond the point of no return imo. The amount of work required to bring it back to a slightly stable state is immense. The first step to ever achieving that would be to wipe out the pirates, wipe out the warlords, wipe out the warring factions and stick the place under squeezingly tight security while its being rebuilt. As I posted earlier, I would suggest dissolving Somalia's territorial waters until this pirate threat is quelled to a smaller scale so that any ships taken can be followed by naval vessels and anyone who resists/attempts to attack can be fired upon immediately.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

M.O.A.B wrote:

maffiaw wrote:

Somalia is one of those places that is beyond the point of no return imo. The amount of work required to bring it back to a slightly stable state is immense. The first step to ever achieving that would be to wipe out the pirates, wipe out the warlords, wipe out the warring factions and stick the place under squeezingly tight security while its being rebuilt. As I posted earlier, I would suggest dissolving Somalia's territorial waters until this pirate threat is quelled to a smaller scale so that any ships taken can be followed by naval vessels and anyone who resists/attempts to attack can be fired upon immediately.
If you wipe out everything that is wrong with Somalia, there would be nothing left.
BVC
+325|6686
Well done US Navy!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

S.Lythberg wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

maffiaw wrote:

If you wipe out everything that is wrong with Somalia, there would be nothing left.
And it would be a marked improvement.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

FEOS wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

And it would be a marked improvement.
maybe replace it with an amusement park?
CC-Marley
+407|6819
Parking lot.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

CC-Marley wrote:

Parking lot.
Kenyans don't have cars

raffle it off to whoever wants it
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6706|US

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

It's too bad people had to die
you're acting like their lives were worth anything
I value human life.  I did not say I object to the outcome.  IMO, it's the second best solution (best being arrest of the pirates).  Those people were someone's father, son, brother, etc.  Killing people is rarely the best solution, but in this case it is acceptable.
Like I said, when you threaten to murder people, don't expect to last long.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5990|Vortex Ring State

Stingray24 wrote:

3 headshots, actually. more credit should go to the snipers, IMO
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
And not a moment too soon, it would seem. Nice work by the snipers.

I wonder what they'll do with the prisoner...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

Spark wrote:

And not a moment too soon, it would seem. Nice work by the snipers.

I wonder what they'll do with the prisoner...
considering piracy laws haven't been updated in centuries, drawn and quartered?
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6226|Texas

S.Lythberg wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

Parking lot.
Kenyans don't have cars

raffle it off to whoever wants it
Give it to Belgium.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6539|San Diego, CA, USA

Stingray24 wrote:

Ship Captain Rescued From Somali Pirates
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5985|Truthistan

Harmor wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Ship Captain Rescued From Somali Pirates
Hats off to Fox news for this quote
"The operation, personally approved by President Barack Obama,"

Good shooting, bad guys dead, happy ending

Now they need to go and put bullet holes in every boat along the Somali coast.
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5973
fuck yeah!
Lai
+186|6142

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Now they need to go and put bullet holes in every boat along the Somali coast.
Old school carpet bombing FTW!

M.O.A.B wrote:

maffiaw wrote:

True, though. We've already seen under Clinton, a half approach doesn't work. Restabilizing Somalia would require a immense effort especially regarding manpower. You'll actually have to be there with a sizeable force for a prolonged period, something I think no NATO country is willing to commit to for the moment with Afghanistan and to a lesser extend Iraq still running, and Pakistan being on the verge of requiring help. In fact I think Pakistan should have asked for international help already about a year ago. In any case any three of these matters is more pressing than Somalia.

The alternatives for going into Somalia are worrying though. Since permanently guarding the whole Indian ocean isn't really an option, the only real option would be what we Dutch would call "V.O.C. mentaliteit".
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

thraSK wrote:

fuck yeah!
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard