unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Don't mind the source. It was lifted from Google news.

article wrote:

[...] Democratic strategist Maria Cardona said Steele should never have apologized because his criticism of Limbaugh is appealing to the moderate audience his party needs. [...]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03 … clout-gop/
I'm going to throw the whole article aside for the moment to express my confusion as to why Democrats would be interested in Republican success. I know not to take it seriously of course (advice from a Democratic strategist?!), but I'm still scratching my head over why it was even cited, given who said it. Let's look at it again:

"Democratic strategist Maria Cardona said Steele should never have apologized because his criticism of Limbaugh is appealing to the moderate audience his party needs."

Wow. McCain's moderate approach sure got him a landslide, didn't it. And Limbaugh's not even as fiercely conservative as some of his fellow talk show hosts.

In other news, Mongoose strategist Fluffy to give Snake Party advice on fang maintenance.
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
She's speaking as a strategist for a party that won by appealing to moderate voters.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

They want to pull Republicans to a more moderate view. Slowly destroy them by changing their views.
Reciprocity
can republicans win with only hardcore conservatives?
OxenBreeder
+46|5735|KTRI
fuck both parties!
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

Reciprocity wrote:

You'd be surprised.

Trying to be philisophical in every thread guy wrote:

They want to pull Republicans to a more moderate view. Slowly destroy them by changing their views.
True statement here.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Warhammer
+18|5650

Reciprocity wrote:

If you had hardcore Republicans you would not have questionable possibility of pork and spending. Obama now doing that with huge numbers... Some People didn't expect he was going to do that. Now a lot of people are furious at the government. If Obama's plan fails the strict conservatives are going to get elected for sure.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

LividBovine wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

You'd be surprised.

True statement here.
O god I've become the very thing I hate the most, a Philosopher.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

Warhammer wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

If you had hardcore Republicans you would not have questionable possibility of pork and spending. Obama now doing that with huge numbers... Some People didn't expect he was going to do that. Now a lot of people are furious at the government. If Obama's plan fails the strict conservatives are going to get elected for sure.
Yes, it will happen, but what kind of shape will our country be in at the time, and will people wise up fast enough to not elect him to a second term?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Warhammer
+18|5650

LividBovine wrote:

Warhammer wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Yes, it will happen, but what kind of shape will our country be in at the time, and will people wise up fast enough to not elect him to a second term?
It won't matter if Obama runs again if he fails; he will lose if it doesn't turn around.

I hope our country doesn't get hurt badly for the next two years, but at this pace no guarantee. Just hope conservatives get back in 2 years if our country is heading to a bad road. I am not too sure what the Republican party is going to do though and what candidates they will have.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

Or can Republicans win by taking willing advice from Democrats?

OxenBreeder wrote:

fuck both parties!
Show me the magical unicorn party that will sweep nation off its feet in 2012 and I'll vote for its candidates.
Reciprocity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Or can Republicans win by taking willing advice from Democrats?
was she offering advice or giving her opinion?

cow wrote:

You'd be surprised.
surprised how?  Unless the majority of americans are hardcore conservatives there's no surprise.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2009-03-04 21:58:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

was she offering advice or giving her opinion?
Democratic strategist is Democrat.

If you were a Seahawks fan, would you want them to take advice from a dedicated Steelers pundit? Probably not, because by the time you figured out what reverse psychology was or wasn't involved, they might as well have ignored it.

I come across a much more simplistic version of it in computer games, where an opposing team tries to goad you into a position of greater vulnerability. It's been done so often that it's perpetually disregarded.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-03-04 22:48:13)

Reciprocity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Democratic strategist is Democrat.

If you were a Seahawks fan, would you want them to take advice from a dedicated Steelers pundit? Probably not, because by the time you figured out what reverse psychology was or wasn't involved, they might as well have ignored it.

I come across a much more simplistic version of it in computer games, where an opposing team tries to goad you into a position of greater vulnerability. It's been done so often that it's perpetually disregarded.
why do you continually insist that the republicans are taking this woman's opinion as advice.  Are they that stupid?  Do you think republicans are that stupid?  I'm failing to see this connection.

is it not political common sense that in order to win national elections you must appeal to a broad variety of voters?

Last edited by Reciprocity (2009-03-04 23:04:25)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've come across an even more simplistic version.

It is known as 'F10'.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Macbeth wrote:

If the republicans move more towards centre, the Dems can move more towards left.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

Reciprocity wrote:

surprised how?  Unless the majority of americans are hardcore conservatives there's no surprise.
The majority of voters are undecided. 
http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=95
Of course this means that if you move to the middle you would get the votes, right?  Wrong, not when the general public becomes disenfranchised with the ruling party.  They look for a drastically different view point.  Thus, the far right now becomes more attractive and those that stand more in the middle are too much like the left.  See where I am going with this?
Reciprocity

LividBovine wrote:

They look for a drastically different view point.
no, not really.  parties accommodate moderate voters.  not the other way around.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN
I have to disagree.  I actually think McCain would have done better if he would have stuck with a more right platform.  He failed when he voted for the bailout bill.  Lost respect and votes in the process.  Just my opinion though.

1 more thought on this.  This past election was 2 very different parties.  The Democrats had a very good united front and no one was bucking the program.  Not true for the Republicans.  The result is obvious.  3 years 10 months left to go.  I hope.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6622|pimelteror.de

Warhammer wrote:

I hope our country doesn't get hurt badly for the next two years, but at this pace no guarantee. Just hope conservatives get back in 2 years if our country is heading to a bad road. I am not too sure what the Republican party is going to do though and what candidates they will have.
funny republicans... your last president had eight years to fuck up the country and leave it in the way it is now...
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

Warhammer wrote:

funny republicans... your last president had eight years to fuck up the country and leave it in the way it is now...
Do I have to explain the reason we are where we are again?  The blame is not on one administration alone.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

why do you continually insist that the republicans are taking this woman's opinion as advice.  Are they that stupid?  Do you think republicans are that stupid?  I'm failing to see this connection.

1is it not political common sense that in order to win national elections you must appeal to a broad variety of voters?
Um...

Fail platitude is fail. I'm not 'continually insisting' that they are. If I was, the OP title would've been something like 'dumb Republicans take advice from Democrats.' What I asked was this: why should they? The very worst you could do is call it a rhetorical question that has no place in 'debate.' So jump to conclusions about someone else.

1Completely beside the point.

LividBovine wrote:

The blame is not on one administration alone.
Spending certainly didn't help. We might as well have had Bubba in office for 16 years.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-03-05 02:20:23)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

LividBovine wrote:

True statement here.
I see her analysis more as viewing Steele as a threat to Dems. The moderates went with the Dems this election. The Republicans know that, in order to win the 2010 mid-terms and to have any shot at 2012, they have to pull moderates back to the fold. If they do that, it's at the expense of the Democrats.

Of course a Democrat strategist won't want that.

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

If the republicans move more towards centre, the Dems can move more towards left.
And commit political suicide by doing so.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-03-05 03:19:35)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
By all means...  Make Rush your party leader and keep appealing to the far right.  Surely, that will bring in the moderate middle....

/sarcasm
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6729|San Antonio, Texas

Turquoise wrote:

By all means...  Make Rush your party leader and keep appealing to the far right.  Surely, that will bring in the moderate middle....

/sarcasm
They tried to appeal to the "moderate middle", look where it's gotten us.

Rush '12?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard