The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales

Reciprocity wrote:

You haven't lived until you've separated a deer's asshole
We do the same to our sheep, only we dont shoot them 1st.  Its like catch and release so you can go back and enjoy them another day.  And the maddest part is; after we have finished with them, The English eat them.  Ssshhhhhh though, don't tell them, its our lil secret.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

Ty wrote:

New Zealand's great for hunting. If you know people it's even better. My Dad's cousin for example runs a huge bloody patch of land over in the Wairarapa. There's goats, rabbits, deer and pigs there, basically whenever I feel like it I can ring up cousin Dave and ask if I can come over for a shot. He lends me a quad bike and basically I just ride to places that look good for hunting, leave the bike and walk around to see what I can find. Goats are everywhere, deer and pigs you actually have to really hunt for.

Either that or you can just get permission from DoC, (Department of Conservation.) They're generally keen to help hunters 'cause deer, pigs and goats are more-or-less pests. There are also jobs you can get hunting rabbits or possums. The best place to hunt Rabbits is down in the Waitaki Valley - they are fuckin' everywhere man. You shoot one and twenty more get up and run away. I once shot one and also shot and killed the one sitting behind it - I didn't even see it there!

im coming to kill things with you
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
New Zealand's great for hunting. If you know people it's even better. My Dad's cousin for example runs a huge bloody they are fuckin' everywhere man. You shoot one and twenty more get up and run away. I once shot one and also shot and killed the one sitting behind it - I didn't even see it there!
Its like that in Cardiff aswell but it's not Rabbits that are over running the place.  The police get funny if you shoot at them here.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

I go elk hunting every year.  Haven't dear hunted for years, mostly because it's the most popular hunt and you end up with a bunch of guys just want to get drunk and carry high powered rifles.  I'm with ATG, if I were going to go back to dear hunting it would be with a bow.  I still have mine with a dozen good arrows and hunting tips.  Would definitely need to practice though.  Been a long, long time since I shot it.

As as for hauling out a deer, you may get away with that for a small take of a smaller breed, like whitetail, but you won't pull that off with larger breeds like mule deer.  It's not just weight, but dead weight.

However, most hunting seasons for deer, elk, and pretty much any other bigger game are late summer on into about December.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2009-01-12 07:13:17)

krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
i've been thinking of using a bow to try for deer this fall, anyone have any suggestions on what i should look for?

edit:
a compound bow, just to clarify

Last edited by krazed (2009-02-23 07:42:38)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

krazed wrote:

i've been thinking of using a bow to try for deer this fall, anyone have any suggestions on what i should look for?

edit:
a compound bow, just to clarify
There are a lot of brands out there, but I've always been very happy with my bow from PSE.  If you've never hunted you probably don't want to start out with a high-end unit, as they can run as much as a rifle ($450-950).  For getting started and see if it is something you want to pursue you may want to try something a little less expensive.

http://www.pse-archery.com/cat.php?k=135731

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2009-02-23 08:18:11)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Whale hunting in Norway > All.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
i've done a lot of rifle/shotgun hunting, just never with a  bow. it seems like something i would like so i want to try it.

thanks for the link, ill look into those
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Jenspm wrote:

Whale hunting in Norway > All.
White whale?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Come to New Zealand. Fuck those shoots we're you pay to be taken out and are guaranteed a deer - that's bollocks. I know a bloke who can take us onto some Maori-owned land where there's quite a few Sika. Sika are crafty bastards but that's why actually getting one is so damn rewarding.

ATG, man up. Wearing a deer carcass is jus like wearing a heavy, stinky, moist, bleeding blanket that attracts flies. I'm still intrigued about bowhunting though, I'm going to have to give that a try one day.

HAH, I forgot I had already posted on this thread. Nevertheless since that last post I've gained some more hunting contacts, namely the maori bloke.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
if i'm ever less poor i'm going to go there

I've always wanted to hunt in New Zealand. there and Africa
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
bow hunting is tough.

never been, but i did own a compound bow when i was younger, and built my own traditional bow out of Osage when i was in kentucky a number of years ago.

if hitting stationary targets is hard, i could only imagine the difficulty in shooting, reloading and shooting again to bring down an animal before they run off.

good luck
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ty wrote:

Come to New Zealand. Fuck those shoots we're you pay to be taken out and are guaranteed a deer - that's bollocks. I know a bloke who can take us onto some Maori-owned land where there's quite a few Sika. Sika are crafty bastards but that's why actually getting one is so damn rewarding.

ATG, man up. Wearing a deer carcass is jus like wearing a heavy, stinky, moist, bleeding blanket that attracts flies. I'm still intrigued about bowhunting though, I'm going to have to give that a try one day.

HAH, I forgot I had already posted on this thread. Nevertheless since that last post I've gained some more hunting contacts, namely the maori bloke.
Got some friends of the family that hunt on the south Island a lot. They are back and forward from NZ to the NT a fair bit.

Actually, 'hunting is what they do'. The fact that they are all qualified tradesmen is 'just to get them by', so they say.

@ Parker, imagine shooting at a moving target bounding down the side of a mountain from a helicopter.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-02-23 14:20:46)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Oo ETHER oO
+3|5512|Tucson AZ
I live in Arizona and have been hunting since I was like 6.  You can hunt just about anything out here for the right price.  There was a small ranch a few years ago that raised buffalo and you could pay to hunt the buffalo.  I don't think they are doing that anymore but anything from blackbears to turkeys we have it all...
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Parker wrote:

bow hunting is tough.

never been, but i did own a compound bow when i was younger, and built my own traditional bow out of Osage when i was in kentucky a number of years ago.

if hitting stationary targets is hard, i could only imagine the difficulty in shooting, reloading and shooting again to bring down an animal before they run off.

good luck
Use a Rambo bow tbh, can take out a helicopter

Unfortunate side effects would be your prey explodes.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

Parker wrote:

i hope that never happens

I would hope to try and wait until it stopped to take the shot, don't think i could forgive myself if i blew it by being impatient. i don't think anyone is fast enough to reload, aim, and hit a running scared/injured deer lol
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN
I will second the vote for the PSE's.  I have the PSE Firestorm Lite.  It is small framed, fast shooting bow.  You need to decide what kind of stand you will be in and what kind of shooting you will mostly be doing.  My bow is short, 30 inches and lets me shoot from any kind of stand/blind.  The trade off is of course accuracy.  I shoot heavy arrows as well. 

I can go on and on, but you are probably bored already.  Ask some specific questions if you want some more drivel from me.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
aaaaaaaaand hunting season is almost upon us (already started for some of you assholes )

who's going out for what this year?

didn't get a moose tag this year /sad

didn't get a bear tag this year either /epicsad

so just going for deer, rabbits, and grouse... with the odd coyote stuck in there

edit: yes i know it's an old post, and i found it through the search so GTFO

Last edited by krazed (2009-08-29 06:17:47)

SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5467|England
alright jord
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Ty wrote:

New Zealand's great for hunting. If you know people it's even better. My Dad's cousin for example runs a huge bloody patch of land over in the Wairarapa. There's goats, rabbits, deer and pigs there, basically whenever I feel like it I can ring up cousin Dave and ask if I can come over for a shot. He lends me a quad bike and basically I just ride to places that look good for hunting, leave the bike and walk around to see what I can find. Goats are everywhere, deer and pigs you actually have to really hunt for.

Either that or you can just get permission from DoC, (Department of Conservation.) They're generally keen to help hunters 'cause deer, pigs and goats are more-or-less pests. There are also jobs you can get hunting rabbits or possums. The best place to hunt Rabbits is down in the Waitaki Valley - they are fuckin' everywhere man. You shoot one and twenty more get up and run away. I once shot one and also shot and killed the one sitting behind it - I didn't even see it there!
+10
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
I can't shoot animals
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

moose
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

Ty wrote:

soooo.... can i sleep on your couch? lol

everything i've read/seen about hunting in NZ looks

it's high up on the list of places i want to hunt, right under africa

Last edited by krazed (2009-08-29 07:17:39)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

I've had my fun with deer

now its time to move on to something else

https://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes5/hardtarget175.jpeg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard