SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
I'm seriously going deaf. I have had it with BF2. There's so many things that are great about this game, but this one is a "deal breaker" (you can thank Dr. Phil for that crack, that's what happens when you have to many friends that are viewers). I'm not joking, I have had ringing in my ears for the last two days, and NO the volume is not that loud, it's just these repeated "Enemy spotted!" garbage that's destroying my hearing. This ISN'T EVEN the reason I'm so mad. It's because BF2's engine allows you to almost pin-point the enemy's position because the sound effects are so good. But, how the heck can you spot an enemy if you've got the moronic commander and 50 other players all telling me about some tank on the OTHER SIDE of the map!! There would is somewhat of a unconventional way that I would think you could at least dumb down these sounds. You could create a sound filter (sound driver) or something of the sort that would use a high-pass filter to filter out high piched noises (most of the voice commands are in the higher sound register) or detect when certain wav's (or mp3) are played over the system. This would have to be coded by some genius who knew what they were doing. I hope you all realize, I'm being completely serious about this. This is NOT good for your ears, especially if you're like me and have no money to spend on a good set of headphones. Most of us have to settle for whatever is around the house. I quit BF2 until I can fix this. I fear that EA, DICE and the rest are getting to big. Because they are so big, they don't need to care anymore about complaints from the players. Now we have to petition or use some other crafty method to get things like this fixed. How hard is it to have a slider than controls the sound commands volume? Honestly, how hard is that? (thinks of his own coding nightmares).

Last edited by SGT_BlueHawk (2009-02-04 14:43:45)

Simon
basically
+838|6676|UK
It is possible to turn off/reduce the sound of 'enemy spotted' etc by editing your sound.con file, I dont tweak the files myself but I'll try to get someone to make you one and I'll pm it to you. All you need to do is replace the new sound.con with your old one (C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings\Sound.con)

however it isnt possible to turn the game sounds down without also turning down the sound of your gun, ie, if you want the game sounds reduced 50% then your gun sound will also be reduced by 50%.

FYI this is the ONLY way to do it, so if your ok with all of that i'll pm you one

Last edited by Simon (2009-02-04 14:56:26)

SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
Excellent thought, but there's still one issue. Punkbuster. As I recall it constantly checks to ensure that files are not edited. I play on ranked servers as well. Wouldn't this be a huge issue? I would probably get kicked off constantly, even banned.
Simon
basically
+838|6676|UK

SGT_BlueHawk wrote:

Excellent thought, but there's still one issue. Punkbuster. As I recall it constantly checks to ensure that files are not edited. I play on ranked servers as well. Wouldn't this be a huge issue? I would probably get kicked off constantly, even banned.
No it is not illegal, it is not banned by punkbuster. It's a con(figuration)-file for a reason, you can change it ingame too (via the ~ console). an example being code like hitfixer, it changes the user.con through the console. people have been doing it for years

Last edited by Simon (2009-02-04 15:02:37)

SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
Wonder news for my ringing ears! I await the wonderful file to arrive in my inbox . I'm very familiar with "code" in general, so you can esplain the details of it if you so desire. I should have a "default" config because I have not changed any files as of you. Note that I have installed PR and Tactical Mod before. I'm sure that PR does change things, but I'm not sure if it's just for that mod. I'm guessing mods have their own sound configuration files, etc.
Simon
basically
+838|6676|UK
Sent. Have fun
SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
Sound file looks good. Only one question, how come you had to dumb down the sound of the gun? I mean are you saying all the other sounds (around me including ambient, etc.) are the same, but the sound of the gun is slightly lower?
Simon
basically
+838|6676|UK

SGT_BlueHawk wrote:

Sound file looks good. Only one question, how come you had to dumb down the sound of the gun? I mean are you saying all the other sounds (around me including ambient, etc.) are the same, but the sound of the gun is slightly lower?
All that I know is that there is no known way to just change the sound of the effects without changing the sound of the gun (or visa versa), they are two similar lines of code that must have values set to the same number. One cannot be higher/lower than the other otherwise the tweak wont work

edit; in the tweak i sent you, the effects (amiance etc like you said) will be reduced by 30%, along with the sound of the gun)  - I doubt you'll notice it that much. FYI its only the sound of YOUR gun that is being changed, not the sound of others. and only you will be able to hear the reduced sound

Last edited by Simon (2009-02-04 15:23:10)

SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
I will give it a try and get back to you. Thanks.
SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
So, let me get this straight, my gun + ambiant sounds reduced by 30%. Hmm, maybe I'm stupid, but isn't that the same (equal to) just reducing the master volume???? I honestly did not notice any difference at all (maybe a little difference, but not much). My goal is to hear the other guy, so you're saying that with this edit, this is what it will accomplish? What would happen if you brought it down 50%? Would that be to drastic?

Last edited by SGT_BlueHawk (2009-02-04 16:06:19)

pauli *wsaf
+23|5804
first, it is kinda cheat (something that gives you advantage over your opponents) because you can change the distance where you will be able to hear enemies etc.

second, it CANT be edited via console (unlike usersettings.con) 

third, PB can check those files and kick u for having changed it.
SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
My intention is NOT to cheat. I HATE cheaters and I if was one the reaction would be no different. All I want to do is remove the voice command sounds. Think about it, is that realistic? When on the battlefield, does everyone have a radio shoved in their ears? I'm not saying you don't have a point, but I do not see it as cheating. The only thing that is sort of cheating is having your gun sound reduced. I will agree with that.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6457|King Of The Islands

Enemy aircraft spotted.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6481|cuntshitlake

I would advice you to play on smaller servers. Much less voicespam, nadespam, clayspam = more fun for the player
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
SGT_BlueHawk
+5|5583|U.S.A.
Thank you for that suggestion, it's a good one. In fact, I was just playing on a server with no vehicles and things were a lot calmer and much more under control (no to mention enjoyable).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard