Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

DesertFox- wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Last of the Summer Wine
What are you on? Last of the Summer Wine?

That said, whilst lots of American animated comedy is very good, I struggle to think of a good American sitcom (not a stolen rehash of a British series). And anyone who thinks Friends counts as a good sitcom can fuck right off because they clearly have no taste (it is however, much better than Last of the Summer Wine).

The US produce a lot of great shows but when it comes to sitcoms - I think Britain is on top.
Friends is a sitcom??? Christ, I can only watch it for like 3 seconds before deciding it's retarded.

However, I tend to regard Seinfeld quite highly for its "humourous" (O SHI-) content.
Good point. Seinfeld was pretty good. Not really my thing, but I could see it was good (unlike the steaming heap of mindless trivial shite that is Friends).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-01-17 09:30:38)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

fairly stupid topic Ted since there is no way to judge it objectively.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

Bertster7 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What are you on? Last of the Summer Wine?

That said, whilst lots of American animated comedy is very good, I struggle to think of a good American sitcom (not a stolen rehash of a British series). And anyone who thinks Friends counts as a good sitcom can fuck right off because they clearly have no taste (it is however, much better than Last of the Summer Wine).

The US produce a lot of great shows but when it comes to sitcoms - I think Britain is on top.
Friends is a sitcom??? Christ, I can only watch it for like 3 seconds before deciding it's retarded.

However, I tend to regard Seinfeld quite highly for its "humourous" (O SHI-) content.
Good point. Seinfeld was pretty good. Not really my thing, but I could see it was good (unlike the steaming heap of mindless trivial shite that is Friends).
Friends is a mildly entertaining borderline RomCom that has ended many years ago. Let it go.

Unless you only have E4, in which case, loooool.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

jord wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Friends is a mildly entertaining borderline RomCom that has ended many years ago. Let it go.

It's also the most prolific sitcom to come out of the US.

(also there was a period, for a few weeks at uni, when I did only have E4 - how did you know?)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-01-17 09:38:44)

jord

Bertster7 wrote:

jord wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

(also there was a period, for a few weeks at uni, when I did only have E4 - how did you know?)
How do you manage to only have E4? That was a lucky shot in the dark. I thought everyone has at least the first 4 or 5 channels...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

jord wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

jord wrote:

How do you manage to only have E4? That was a lucky shot in the dark. I thought everyone has at least the first 4 or 5 channels...
DID. It wasn't for long. E4, Sky Sports News and ITV was all I had. Not just E4.

I ended up watching Hollyoaks.....

I'm ashamed to say.
jord

Bertster7 wrote:

jord wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

DID. It wasn't for long. E4, Sky Sports News and ITV was all I had. Not just E4.

I ended up watching Hollyoaks.....

I'm ashamed to say.
I think we've all been through that and come out better people.

Those storylines are thought up by 12 year olds.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6134
You can take the best comedy shows.
But we'll still have the best comedians.
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6746|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark
You lot forgot Monty Python and Not the 9 o' clock news

phishman420
Banned
+821|5683

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/
/thread
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6233
The Soup?
Madhadda1
+270|6546|Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Americans would rather watch their fake reality shows than have a true humor sitcom.  Id go ahead and say the brits have the better humor sitcoms but that really isn't saying much...  It seemed really immature and horribly unfunny, but that beats the lack of shows we have here.  Although we have better cartoons, ect.. (adult swim) . Also our stand up seems superior. 

I remember watching an irish copy of cops, and during some holiday in their armored police vehicle they were getting molotovs thrown at them and didnt do anything? they just let them throw fire bombs and rocks for a good 20 minutes and then just dusted them off as "just kids"..  I also remember another show where these little kids stole alcohol and wanted to trade for cigarettes. Later one kids bunny was thrown out of some building because of his best friend and then he killed him? They were like 8..... weirdest shit ever.. silly brits.

Last edited by Madhadda1 (2009-01-17 10:03:47)

jord

Madhadda1 wrote:

Americans would rather watch their fake reality shows than have a true humor sitcom.  Id go ahead and say the brits have the better humor sitcoms but that really isn't saying much...  It seemed really immature and horribly unfunny, but that beats the lack of shows we have here.  Although we have better cartoons, ect.. (adult swim) . Also our stand up seems superior. 

I remember watching an irish copy of cops, and during some holiday in their armored police vehicle they were getting molotovs thrown at them and didnt do anything? they just let them throw fire bombs and rocks for a good 20 minutes and then just dusted them off as "just kids"..  I also remember another show where these little kids stole alcohol and wanted to trade for cigarettes. Later one kids bunny was thrown out of some building because of his best friend and then he killed him? They were like 8..... weirdest shit ever.. silly brits.
does your second paragraph have any relevance to the topic at all?
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6746|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark

NateWiese wrote:

What like Sarah Silverman?... I'm sorry but l find her about as funny as Cot death! Richard Pryer yes he is funny. However we have Lee Evans, Jack Dee, Al Murray, Billy Connolly to name a few of the funny ones!
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5597

phishman420 wrote:

/cockmeatsandwich
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

ColCarnage wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

/cockmeatsandwich
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6134

The_Guardsman wrote:

NateWiese wrote:

What like Sarah Silverman?... I'm sorry but l find her about as funny as Cot death! Richard Pryer yes he is funny. However we have Lee Evans, Jack Dee, Al Murray, Billy Connolly to name a few of the funny ones!
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1532323

Go gent bent now.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

NateWiese wrote:

The_Guardsman wrote:

NateWiese wrote:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1532323

Go gent bent now.
Gent bent?

You are right though. The US has loads of great stand up acts. Although I did notice at least one British act on that list of yours.

I think you may be unaware of how much great British stand up is out there. Although certainly more high quality stand up comes out of the US than the UK.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

meh, you'll get no argument from this yank
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Scrubs, How I met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men are 3 that are pretty damn excellent Amercian ones.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

Scrubs sucks.

Only US comedy shows that I like, are Fresh Prince, My Wife and Kids and Friends. Fresh Prince is still to this day.

But, most of our shows > those 3.

Btw Ted, you forgot Whose Line is it Anyway, Bottom (EPIC!) & The Young Ones Hell, even Open all Hours...that is another classic with David Jason.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6134

Snake wrote:

Scrubs sucks.
Agreed.
I don't watch many shows except It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

NateWiese wrote:

Snake wrote:

Scrubs sucks.
Agreed.
I don't watch many shows except It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Try watching Brass Eye. One of the most hilarious things ever.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Sitcom's in general suck. I do like The Office though (Both versions), and a few of those animated American ones.

phishman420 wrote:

Family Guy sucks.
https://i42.tinypic.com/17wgol.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
phishman420
Banned
+821|5683

Kmarion wrote:

Sitcom's in general suck. I do like The Office though (Both versions), and a few of those animated American ones.

phishman420 wrote:

Family Guy sucks.
http://i42.tinypic.com/17wgol.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard