FatalSinz
+2|5583
So i just got a new laptop today.

Its an ASUS G50V, 4GB RAM, 2.6GHz, Dual-Core, nVidia 9800GS. Vista-64bit.

So i installed the game onto my laptop and it installed successfully. I tried to load the game and BF2 would kinda load...What happens is i double click the icon and the screen kinda flickers and goes black as if its going to load up the screen for the game, but it just closes and nothing happens.

Almost the same with BF2142, except instead of just closing with no notice, it says BF2142 is unable to respond.

I currently have the 2 games installed previously on my other computer and it works just fine. Im not sure what the problem is but i did use the same CD-Keys to install onto my laptop. Help?
Hakei
Banned
+295|5998
Never delt with Vista, but test running in compatability mode for XP/Vista 32 Bit, also run as admin.

If that doesn't work, try patching and see if that does anything, if that doesn't work make sure the proper drivers are installed for your GPU. Not sure what GPUs are compatable with BF2 but I'm guessing that one is.

If none of that works, reinstall - CD key won't make a difference, you can still play SP without an activated Key, so yeah.

Also, silly question but did you try rebooting after the install?
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6656|pimelteror.de
- run it as administrator
- check your profile / video.con, if the graphicsettings are proper for your display. make sure that you are using 60hz, if you copied your profiles from another computer with crt
CrazeD
+368|6676|Maine
Right click the shortcut > properties > find the +fullscreen part in the target, and make it a 0. So, like, +fullscreen 0.

Now, it will start in windowed mode and when it crashes, it will give you an error. Post the error.
FatalSinz
+2|5583
I have not restarted the laptop, but i think i should have done that.

Secondly im downloading the latest patch for BF2.

Thirdly, can i still play online with the same CD Key, but without the both keys running in conjunction with eachother?

I'll repost when i restart and see how that goes. Need the downloads to finish first.

Thanks for the help!
Hakei
Banned
+295|5998
You can actually use the same CD just as long as you don't play on the same server, so you can have 10 people using the same CD key just as long as it isn't the same server.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5791|Catherine Black

Hakei wrote:

so you can have 10 people using the same CD key.
Or more.

Sometimes laptop chipsets aren't compatible, you may have just struck unlucky.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
FatalSinz
+2|5583
Shall i post specs from dxdiag?
Wallpaper
+303|5997|The pool
Is the laptops refresh rate in windows 59 Hz? AFAIK laptops with that cannot play BF2 for some reason. Also get the latest drivers at nvidia.com

EDIT: Daig info might help, post it

Last edited by Wallpaper (2009-01-16 18:24:55)

FatalSinz
+2|5583
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/16/2009, 21:44:48
       Machine name: NIKO-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.       
       System Model: G50VT               
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 1685MB used, 6692MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
FatalSinz
+2|5583
So update:

Restarted NoteBook, patched BF2...but not 2142, same results.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5998
Tell us your display settings. What's the refresh rate?
FatalSinz
+2|5583
How do i find out?
FatalSinz
+2|5583
Bump?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6466|cuntshitlake

CrazeD wrote:

Right click the shortcut > properties > find the +fullscreen part in the target, and make it a 0. So, like, +fullscreen 0.

Now, it will start in windowed mode and when it crashes, it will give you an error. Post the error.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
FatalSinz
+2|5583
DUnno if this is what you were referring to. I did as you said, tried, and this happened.

http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=probcr1.jpg
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5932|NY/CT
why u worrying about this u got a girl (carolyn) who wants to talk to u
did u get all the new drivers for your card? and all the right updates for the game?
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5907|CA
Are you sure it's video related?  Does it crash to desktop? Can you play singleplayer, or run the game at all?

1.  Try updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers, directly from their website.  Make sure to use Driver Sweeper (or similar program) to clean out your old drivers.

2.  Right click the BF2 shortcut, check "Run as Adminstrator" and select compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2.

3.  Try running it in a window like everyone else is suggesting.

Have you Googled your problem yet?
FatalSinz
+2|5583
I think i updated the driver for the card. I went to http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html, then i went to Download Notebook Drivers then clicked the Notebook vista 64bit link, and downloaded the driver. I would assume thats right unless someone can tell me im wrong.

I dont know what this "Driver Sweeper" is. I did the second step, and the third. Still same issue.

I double click the icon and the BF2 splash screen loads up, then a window will kind of appear, it'll be black and then an that error in the link i provided appears.
FatalSinz
+2|5583
I also forgot to add that i didn't google my issue because im not sure exactly what to google. Because this problem looks like something that is very common and im not sure exactly what the sole problem is. I came here because this is a popular forum with alot of smart people willing to help. So you guys are my google.
Wallpaper
+303|5997|The pool
Go to My Documents and delete the Battlefield 2 folder. Next time BF2 starts up it should create it again and fix it. BTW, before you do that, backup your controls.con file and any screenshots you want to keep

EDIT: Backup the profile folders too so you dont lose your password if you dont know it

Last edited by Wallpaper (2009-01-16 23:39:20)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5791|Catherine Black
1280x1024? 4:3?? In a brand new laptop??? Weird.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6466|cuntshitlake

Go to Control Panel / Personalize / Display Properties.
Write down the resolution
Click on advanced settings
Choose Monitor tab
Write down the refresh rate
---
Go to My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001.
Open Video.con
Find the line with VideoSettings.setResolution
Enter your resolution and Screen refresh rate there
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
FatalSinz
+2|5583
1. Wallpaper, i'll try that out.
2. Finray, The res came in like 1680xsomething...but it was really small so i changed it to 1280x1024.
3. Jamie, Ive installed all Vista updates and hardware updates (As far as i know)
4. Death, I'll try that too.

Updates soon!
FatalSinz
+2|5583
Refresh Rate = 61Hz.
Death, i did exactly as you asked, but still didn't work.

Finray, i tried your idea as well. Still no go.

What im going to do is uninstall it, then reinstall it, patch it, and try again. Sometimes that works.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard