pirate7474
Oh noes!
+11|6006|USA
That's what I'm thinking...it's over 2 and a half years old and stuff.  I have a really old multi meter but it still works...so where would I put each probe in the power supply to test the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v?

EDIT:  I'm starting to look for replacement ones just in case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817339012 - Will that do?  It's cheap and I don't know the brand, but reviews say its good and it has 2 12v rails.

Last edited by pirate7474 (2009-01-14 16:34:50)

CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

pirate7474 wrote:

That's what I'm thinking...it's over 2 and a half years old and stuff.  I have a really old multi meter but it still works...so where would I put each probe in the power supply to test the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Yellow = 12v
Red = 5v
Black = ground (negative)

https://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/conn_atx_1.jpg

Orange = 3.3v

This coloring scheme should be the same on all of the plugs in the PSU. IE: Yellow is always 12v, Black is always ground...etc.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5911|CA

pirate7474 wrote:

EDIT:  I'm starting to look for replacement ones just in case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817339012 - Will that do?  It's cheap and I don't know the brand, but reviews say its good and it has 2 12v rails.
Reviews look pretty good, but most NewEgg reviews are very trustworthy.

I don't see why not, ~600W for $30 sounds pretty crazy, I'm sure it'll work great brand new, but I don't know how long it will last.  (In terms of years)
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

That PSU isn't gonna last you long, it's probably made out of super-high quality chinese components. Cough cough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817371013 is a trusted brand, and one of the best budget PSUs available.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
If you had a good sense of foresight, you would get a decent midrange PSU now, something in the $70-90 range. Use it temporarily in the sucky computer, and when you convince your parents to let you build one, you already have the PSU.

Try something like this, which I use and love (it is very efficient and absolutely silent; Seasonic PSUs are the best). Other might not like them as much, so they'll probably tell you get another brand. Listen to their suggestions as well.

If you need to go cheap, I would go for this, perhaps, over the Antec.
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

nukchebi0 wrote:

If you had a good sense of foresight, you would get a decent midrange PSU now, something in the $70-90 range. Use it temporarily in the sucky computer, and when you convince your parents to let you build one, you already have the PSU.

Try something like this, which I use and love (it is very efficient and absolutely silent; Seasonic PSUs are the best). Other might not like them as much, so they'll probably tell you get another brand. Listen to their suggestions as well.

If you need to go cheap, I would go for this, perhaps, over the Antec.
SeaSonic is not the best, and that one you linked isn't even a single rail. Single rail = better than multi rail.

Get a Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling or Antec. Quite a few other brands that are good too but I don't feel like thinking.

Pick something with a single rail, as they give you more power.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
SeaSonic is not the best, and that one you linked isn't even a single rail. Single rail = better than multi rail.
Explicame, por favor. (Explain why)

Get a Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling or Antec. Quite a few other brands that are good too but I don't feel like thinking.
Of course, Seasonic makes Corsair and Antec PSUs.

Pick something with a single rail, as they give you more power.
Usually, its the number of total watts allotted to the 12v rail that determines the total power, not the number of rails. If a PSU has 240W allotted, it with have 20A on the 12v line, regardless of whether or not there are multiple ones.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

The total power of a PSU has to be counted on all rails, not just 12V. There's usually quite a lot of power on the 5V rail, too. Multiple rails is a very good solution, as it allows for more distributed power. Single-rail PSUs have the advantage of being able to better support very unbalanced systems; multi-rails could have problems if you have something like 2x20A for PCI-E and 1x15A for ATX12V when running a dual Pentium D system with an 8500GT. That PSU would, however, perform very good running dual 4870X2s and an E8500. For most systems, either will work just wonderfully.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
I am confused as to which PSU you are referencing.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-01-15 00:54:51)

CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

nukchebi0 wrote:

Usually, its the number of total watts allotted to the 12v rail that determines the total power, not the number of rails. If a PSU has 240W allotted, it with have 20A on the 12v line, regardless of whether or not there are multiple ones.
The problem with multi rails is that you cannot share power. For example, say you have a PSU with 4 rails, with 20A on each. You have 80A, but you can only use them on each channel. Example, say motherboard/CPU uses rail 1, peripherals may use 2, and video 3/4 (note that I just made that configuration up for example purposes). Now obviously the CPU/motherboard is not going to use 20A, so all of that power is wasted. It's also unlikely that peripherals will use 20A, so that power is also wasted.

In single rail, ALL of the power can ALWAYS be used.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me that single rail > multi rail, do some research. All the top brands use single rail, including PC Power & Cooling which IMO is the best manufacturer.

Last edited by CrazeD (2009-01-15 01:08:47)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6470|cuntshitlake

If you want a cheap, solid PSU, nothing can beat OCZ Stealth 500W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817341012

$25 after rebates.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2009-01-15 01:22:20)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

The problem with multi rails is that you cannot share power. For example, say you have a PSU with 4 rails, with 20A on each. You have 80A, but you can only use them on each channel. Example, say motherboard/CPU uses rail 1, peripherals may use 2, and video 3/4 (note that I just made that configuration up for example purposes). Now obviously the CPU/motherboard is not going to use 20A, so all of that power is wasted. It's also unlikely that peripherals will use 20A, so that power is also wasted.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me that single rail > multi rail, do some research. All the top brands use single rail, including PC Power & Cooling which IMO is the best manufacturer.
That's with more than two rails, which actually is a part of the ATX2.0 specifications. With two rails, there's one rail for the CPU/system, and one for graphics card, making it quite hard to not use most of the power. See my above post, different designs are good for different things. If your system is somewhat balanced, multi-rail will usually work better with systems like this, as it's easier and cheaper to get more stable voltages.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5795|Catherine Black

DeathUnlimited wrote:

If you want a cheap, solid PSU, nothing can beat OCZ Stealth 500W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817341012

$25 after rebates.
I've got that. Plently of cables, silent, easy to install. Works perfectly.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Brasso
+1,549|6637

DeathUnlimited wrote:

$25 after rebates.
use the EMCABBEAB promo code, it's $20 after MIR.  just got an email from Newegg.

you'll be happy, I have the 600W and it's
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

That's with more than two rails, which actually is a part of the ATX2.0 specifications. With two rails, there's one rail for the CPU/system, and one for graphics card, making it quite hard to not use most of the power. See my above post, different designs are good for different things. If your system is somewhat balanced, multi-rail will usually work better with systems like this, as it's easier and cheaper to get more stable voltages.
No, that's with any multi rail PSU. For his system that he has now, it doesn't make a bit of difference what he buys. However, we were talking about buying a good PSU that will last.

Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817139004

Or: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817703005

Either of those will power a pretty sweet rig, and will last a long time.

For the record, I have the Silencer 610 and it is a badass PSU.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

No, that's with any multi rail PSU. For his system that he has now, it doesn't make a bit of difference what he buys. However, we were talking about buying a good PSU that will last.

You don't have to spend $80 on a good PSU. There are good cheap ones, too. Those will be such utter overkills, especially in a situation like this where money is of utmost matter. Besides, if he spends $20 on a PSU now, it's so little that he can very well spend a bit more money when he actually needs more power.
pirate7474
Oh noes!
+11|6006|USA
Ok then...I think the graphics card is drawing up too much power so it isnt POSTing.  Everything else starts up fine, CPU fan starts running, same with graphics, hard drive starts spinning.  Just nothing on the monitor.  I'm going to take the card out and try it again.

I also just noticed this...the PSU does not have a 24 pin connector to the mobo.  It just has a 20 pin.  Stupid lame PSU.  Can't post pics b/c I cant find the camera.  And this is on a different comp.

I'll think about getting a new power supply...it just depends on my parents.
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

You don't have to spend $80 on a good PSU. There are good cheap ones, too. Those will be such utter overkills, especially in a situation like this where money is of utmost matter. Besides, if he spends $20 on a PSU now, it's so little that he can very well spend a bit more money when he actually needs more power.
If I was running a $600+ system, I wouldn't trust anything less than a top notch brand of PSU. It's a very vital component, one shouldn't skimp on it.

Also, pirate7474: The extra 4 pins isn't required, you can run with only 20pins.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

If I was running a $600+ system, I wouldn't trust anything less than a top notch brand of PSU. It's a very vital component, one shouldn't skimp on it.

Also, pirate7474: The extra 4 pins isn't required, you can run with only 20pins.
Good brands don't have to be expensive. Antec is a highly regarded manufacturer.
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Good brands don't have to be expensive. Antec is a highly regarded manufacturer.
Indeed, if you'll notice I put Antec down in my list above.

I don't consider $80 to be expensive for such a critical component.
pirate7474
Oh noes!
+11|6006|USA
I'm going to be recommending the Antec 430W to them.  80% efficiency and its the last day for that deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817371006

Anyway...now I just need to test the limits of these integrated graphics.  It played combat arms all low alright.  I could make out people and kill them.  But the map loading times were still too high.  I can play warcraft 3...I guess I'll just play oregon trail after I finish Fallout.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5911|CA

pirate7474 wrote:

I'm going to be recommending the Antec 430W to them.  80% efficiency and its the last day for that deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817371006

Anyway...now I just need to test the limits of these integrated graphics.  It played combat arms all low alright.  I could make out people and kill them.  But the map loading times were still too high.  I can play warcraft 3...I guess I'll just play oregon trail after I finish Fallout.
I was joking about Oregon Trail, but go right ahead.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard