• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Energy efficient server/NAT/music rig - which setup to go with?

Poll

P3 or P4 in server?

P317%17% - 7
P435%35% - 14
Neither, stop thinking about UPSes, you big fat nerd.46%46% - 18
Total: 39
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

Morpheus wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

But if the power goes out, will your internet not also go out? What will you do without the internatz?

I will tell you what, you will not be posting on bf2s.
My phone line is connected directly to the phone central. The phone central has a diesel generator.
BUT WHAT IF THE PHONE LINE GOES???!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?

But seriously, go with what can handle being up 24/7 (or close to it) and is more reliable (AKA not MSI.)
Then I have wireless connection
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

Morpheus wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

But if the power goes out, will your internet not also go out? What will you do without the internatz?

I will tell you what, you will not be posting on bf2s.
My phone line is connected directly to the phone central. The phone central has a diesel generator.
and is more reliable (AKA not MSI.)
Um..

I have an MSI board, and my PC runs nearly 24/7 with absolutely no problems.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Um..

You must be very lucky. MSI boards are notorious for strange performance issues and horrible BIOS setups.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Um..

You must be very lucky. MSI boards are notorious for strange performance issues and horrible BIOS setups.
Well, the K9A/2 Platinum's seem to have a pretty good reputation.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
Go with the P3.
Just because my server (which is an old laptop) also runs on a P3 1000 MHz.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Um..

I have had many, many MSI boards, and perhaps one has worked somewhat good.

My current MSI board that I got for nothing, clocks 40MHz less than most other boards with the same chipset.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Um..

Its not like every MSI board sucks, just bigger amounts of them when compared to other manufacturers. But there are still many MSI mobos out there that work flawlessly for some users.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Wallpaper
+303|5994|The pool
Wouldnt under-volting the P4 cut on energy a fair bit? I have no idea how much it would help, but if the P4 is faster clock for clock, under-volting could create a happy medium of power and power consumption.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

Wallpaper wrote:

Wouldnt under-volting the P4 cut on energy a fair bit? I have no idea how much it would help, but if the P4 is faster clock for clock, under-volting could create a happy medium of power and power consumption.
The awesome MSI mobo won't let me undervolt more than 0.025V.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

The thing with MSI is... you are rolling the hard six when u get them. You don't know if it is gonna work like it should or if its gonna be epic failure. The worst thing is sometimes when a mobo for example isn't exatly physically broken, but BIOS/overclocking/stability sucks, you might not be able to RMA it. You are stuck with that piece of shit.

P3 is more than enough for this kind of server.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5930|NY/CT

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Any particular reason?

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The P4 is about five times faster than the P3.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

It's twice the clock frequency, supports a fucktonne of new instructions, uses 4x the bus speed, has double the L2, faster RAM, etc etc. Benched it about 4.7 times faster.
you just answered it

Last edited by GCFC (2009-01-14 05:33:53)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

GCFC wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Any particular reason?

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

It's twice the clock frequency, supports a fucktonne of new instructions, uses 4x the bus speed, has double the L2, faster RAM, etc etc. Benched it about 4.7 times faster.
you just answered it
...but it also uses a lot more power, something that is perhaps even more important than pure performance.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)
use teh Three dude.
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I have had many, many MSI boards, and perhaps one has worked somewhat good.

My current MSI board that I got for nothing, clocks 40MHz less than most other boards with the same chipset.
I've had my MSI K9A over 265MHz FSB for 24/7 clocks, no issues.

Anyway... use the P3 unless you're going to need more CPU, and in that case use the P4.
jaymz9350
+54|6578

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GCFC wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Any particular reason?

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

you just answered it
...but it also uses a lot more power, something that is perhaps even more important than pure performance.
I'd say that is your answer there.  You seem to be pretty concerned about the power draw and for this application I doubt you would notice any difference in performance.   It's like driving a focus or a Mustang across town at 25 MPH.  Neither one will get done faster or be used to the max, just the Mustang will burn more gas in the process.
Stimey
­
+786|6120|Ontario | Canada
Maybe when the power goes out, step outside the front door?
­
­
­
­
­
­
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

Stimey wrote:

Maybe when the power goes out, step outside the front door?
No, shitty graphics.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5930|NY/CT

Freezer7Pro wrote:

i think the performance is worth the extra power
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6139|New Jersey

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but why exactly does this have to run off a UPS instead of being plugged into an outlet?
So that it remains up when the power goes? A UPS works like this: WALL - UPS - LOADS. If you remove WALL, the UPS goes CLICK-BRRR, and the loads keep on running. Which is kinda critical for something that'll shut off my network if turned off.
How often do you lose power?  I can't see it being too big of a problem... I have a power surge/outage maybe once every 2 months.

Last edited by SpIk3y (2009-01-14 20:08:41)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

SpIk3y wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but why exactly does this have to run off a UPS instead of being plugged into an outlet?
So that it remains up when the power goes? A UPS works like this: WALL - UPS - LOADS. If you remove WALL, the UPS goes CLICK-BRRR, and the loads keep on running. Which is kinda critical for something that'll shut off my network if turned off.
How often do you lose power?  I can't see it being too big of a problem... I have a power surge/outage maybe once every 2 months.
It happens every now and then that some cables break, being such a wood-filled area. And the electricity company isn't exactly fast to respond. I don't like getting interrupted if I'm using my computer.

@GCFC: Jamyz9350 said it.
Wallpaper
+303|5994|The pool

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The awesome MSI mobo won't let me undervolt more than 0.025V.

andoura wrote:

llloooooooooooolllllllllllll
In that case, P3. gogogogo
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5930|NY/CT

Freezer7Pro wrote:

@GCFC: Jamyz9350 said it.
well if u have to underclock it then yea p3
i didnt see that before
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Energy efficient server/NAT/music rig - which setup to go with?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard